Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 11-27-2013, 05:53 PM   #31
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
That is a bad, bad sign if he is our best Freshman shooter. Outside of the paint he has made zero percent of his shots, he is 23% overall, heck Titus was better than that last year and he is a PF. Doesn't bode well for Morman if this is indeed true that KJ is our best Frosh shooter. No wonder Caupain doesn't shoot much, just drives and shoots FT's. Maybe KJ needs to take a page out of his book and drive and get fouled and not be a jump shooter because obviously he isn't, at least not yet.

I agree that KJ is pretty good on defense, moves his feel well and knows to look for seams on the pick and roll. For a guy getting so much praise for his defense he has 1 steal and 1 assist this season. He also has 9 fouls and 13 pts in 65 mins of play this season. He may be a stud in 3-4 years but not close now. At this point in Ge Lawn Frosh year he was 5-10 from the floor and 3-6 from 3 in 50 mins of playing time and many many people still doubt him. Just don't et the KJ praise. He may be decent by his junior year.
I think it's a bad sign that some fans won't give the freshmen a little longer to get comfortable in D1 games. I would much rather give them time to ease whatever jitters they have rather than pull the plug.

That being said TC looks pretty comfortable out there. Other than horrible outside shooting...I think KJ is ahead of the curve on most other aspects. We can pull back the reigns on his shooting as things go forward if problems persist. He's rushing his shot right now. He still has plenty of other things to offer...and his shot selection is just fine.

Same can be said for Lawrence he just hasn't played enough BB in the last couple of years to expect him to be polished on O...and you can see it on his body build. He also makes too many offesnive mental mistakes. But I see the kid hustling out there and creating some havoc in the press and OB plays and he's done a good job of rebounding. He's a much better option to have in there over DN when JJ is out. Expecting DN to come out to the perimeter to disrupt movment and then get back down to the low block in time is simply not working for him. Lawrence, on the other hand, can make this happen.

I suspect we will see their minutes and shooting options pulled back a little in favor of the vets as we get into the meat of the schedule. Provided they don't start playing much better on O. But right now they need the experience. We can't press the whole game without them.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 06:32 PM   #32
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
It seems to me that Cronin's interest about what you can offer on offense and what you can offer on D or rebounding would look something like this.

75% defense

25% offense

His main key to winning and playing time are that you have to be able to run his D effectively without being a huge liability...and then I will consider your offensive capabilities...but not before. In the past, he has probably wavered on this because he didn't have quality depth. He just had to play his best 5-7 guys and hope for the best. He has more options now, and less need to play guys who don't fit his preferred D scheme. The last time he had this type of PREFERRED depth was when we had the Goon Squad coming in. He had useful depth without compromising his Golden Egg...defense.

You only have to look at 4 players to see this. DN and JL...KJ and JDIII. JL and KJ fit Cronin's scheme much better. If you can't play his PREFERRED D scheme effectively, you are taking a big hit on your minutes if you are not an offensive juggernaut. DN is not an offensive juggernaut. Many people think JDIII could be...but it seems clear OVERALL that Cronin sees JL and KJ giving us more than DN and JDIII up to this point.

Things can change and may. It may or may not boil down to JL making fewer offensive mistakes or KJ making more outside shots. We shall see.

Last edited by waterhead; 11-27-2013 at 06:34 PM.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 08:37 PM   #33
david aka the TYZ
Epic Member

david aka the TYZ will become famous soon enough
Not much to say about the win last night. We beat a bad team and got the freshmen minutes. JJ's dunk was nasty.

I was glad to see Cronin put in JDIII the last six minutes and let him play the rest of game regardless of his mistakes. He pulled him aside each stoppage of time to coach him. I watched him like a hawk just to see how he played. He really seemed to be focused on D. He got a deflection in there and helped with a steal. He did a better job of shadowing his man. I saw at least two mistakes on defense. The first was when his man got the pass he lunged at him and the guy easily beat him off the dribble. Many have noted his lack of lateral quickness and this was a good example of it. The second was off an inbounds where he went to double team the ball handler and then proceeded to follow him up the court with the other defender and completely leaving his man unguarded. I only say all this because he has been a source of debate on here. On offense he looked strictly to receive a pass and get rid of the ball as quickly as possible. The only move he made was late in a shot clock where he drove to the hoop and if I remember correctly got to the line. You could just tell he was out there very cognizant of doing what Cronin wanted him to do. Seems to be a step in the right direction for him.
Old 11-27-2013, 09:35 PM   #34
Bearcat_NTS
Epic Member

Bearcat_NTS will become famous soon enough
JDIII will be fine. He can't really play at the point spot and is stuck behind SK at the 2. Kevin Johnson is very good on defense, so he will take the first off the bench minutes at the 2 spot. As Troy or Ge'lawn get more comfortable, JDIII will get more minutes.
Bearcat_NTS is offline   Reply With Quote