Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 07-17-2021, 02:47 PM   #51
TheRealMick
Elite Member

TheRealMick is on a distinguished road
I’ll take Phillips from Dayton still to be our banger inside.
TheRealMick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 02:49 PM   #52
TheRealMick
Elite Member

TheRealMick is on a distinguished road
Also interesting for years I’ve always said we should be able beat top P5 schools out because they’re located in backwoods away from city life, now both coaches are using the city lifestyle to recruit. Now all we need is get a college strip in city for nightlife!
TheRealMick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 07:39 AM   #53
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post
The guy on the podcast said most teams in the league play a 6'6"-6'8" football player at center and Tolentino gets pushed around a lot.

As most centers are, he's a recruit with potential who needs a lot of work. I guess he gets the higher rating because he has more offensive ability than most other centers and above average athleticism/mobility.

What scares me is in some of the longer videos of him he seems to shy away from contact. Plus he states he wants to play forward. Rebounding and defense are as much about mindset as about actual ability. Bruce Pearl and Wes seem to believe in him, so that's a good sign.
Ultimately Sage will want to get on the court rather than stick to a particular position. I would suppose he can play some 4 if we have a dude to play the 5 who can move. If there is more time at the 5 I would think he would want to get minutes. In time with some work perhaps he can either play the 4 or the 5 whichever he is better at or wherever we have the most minutes.

Either way he is going to have to beef up a little and gain muscle and learn how to be more physical. A lot of that can be accomplished in 1 year. I would also suspect Wes has told him what he needs to work on this year if he wants to achieve his goals early.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 04:04 PM   #54
MDW79

MDW79 is on a distinguished road
Thought I'd see if anyone has any recruits to keep an eye out for our 2022 class.

Mahaffey commited to Penn State yesterday. He was one of the remaining guys I thought we had a pretty good shot at. The last I heard Sean Jones is unlikely, and it doesn't sound like McMillian is someone we have a great shot at either.

It seems like we offered a TON of kids and keep striking out. Not sure who is left that we're in on. Anyone got any names of guys I should check out?
Old 08-14-2021, 08:26 AM   #55
Queens_NYC
Epic Member

Queens_NYC is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDW79 View Post
Thought I'd see if anyone has any recruits to keep an eye out for our 2022 class.

Mahaffey commited to Penn State yesterday. He was one of the remaining guys I thought we had a pretty good shot at. The last I heard Sean Jones is unlikely, and it doesn't sound like McMillian is someone we have a great shot at either.

It seems like we offered a TON of kids and keep striking out. Not sure who is left that we're in on. Anyone got any names of guys I should check out?
I always thought Mahaffey would've been a great fit here based on the tape I've seen of him. Tough, selfless, versatile. Like McMillan, his dad is a big local basketball guy who never had any connections to UC, so I understand why he was encouraged to take his talents outside of the tri-state.

As a non-insider, I don't have any leads on other recruits. The free boards across the internet seem pretty dead on recruiting talk, and the podcasts don't offer anything either.

I tuned into Meacham's last podcast thinking I would get some useful updates but all he talked about was how he couldn't pronounce any names of the kids at his youth basketball camp. Oh well.
Queens_NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 10:15 AM   #56
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
I'm not all that worried about next year. We've filled one spot with Sage, there may only be one more spot opening up.

Newman has already stated he's planning to play two years here, DDJ may also use his extra year. We only have one for sure open scholarship to use next year. We can afford to shoot big and if we miss, hold onto it for transfers or for a high-ceiling developmental prospect. Regardless of who we add, he's probably not going to impact us much next year (unless it's a transfer center).

When Koval/Ado leave, I expect Ody to move over to start at center. Hopefully, Lakhin is ready to back him up (if he isn't, he probably transfers out and we get a replacement). Every starter for 2022 is probably on our current roster, as are most of the backups.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 01:56 PM   #57
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post
I'm not all that worried about next year. We've filled one spot with Sage, there may only be one more spot opening up.

Newman has already stated he's planning to play two years here, DDJ may also use his extra year. We only have one for sure open scholarship to use next year. We can afford to shoot big and if we miss, hold onto it for transfers or for a high-ceiling developmental prospect. Regardless of who we add, he's probably not going to impact us much next year (unless it's a transfer center).

When Koval/Ado leave, I expect Ody to move over to start at center. Hopefully, Lakhin is ready to back him up (if he isn't, he probably transfers out and we get a replacement). Every starter for 2022 is probably on our current roster, as are most of the backups.
If you get the right guys you make it work. There is always the Banks scholly. I would think at least 1 player will enter the portal.

I think we should grab 2 more and then wait to see what happens in the portal.
Old 08-17-2021, 11:53 AM   #58
cincyalum2014
Elite Member

cincyalum2014 is on a distinguished road
as of this moment the 2 guys we realistically have a shot at getting are Daniel Skillings, supposed to be visiting around labor day. hes a wing/guard and then Jaykwon Walton, the Juco / former Georgia Bulldog, has heavy ties to Chad Dollar .
cincyalum2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 01:02 PM   #59
Queens_NYC
Epic Member

Queens_NYC is on a distinguished road
DeMarr Johnson was on the Cincy Slangin podcast recently. Great listen. Some of his updates on the team were:

-The team is full of gym rats. Lots of players putting in hours beyond what's scheduled.

-The UNCG transfers and UC returnees have meshed great.

-Reiterated how the returning players did not have a good experience last season and how they're enjoying their basketball now. Insinuated how this will be reflected in improved player performance on the court (e.g. DeJulius's shooting)

-Abdul Ado is a beast and actually has some impressive footwork/offensive post moves

-Jarrett Hensley is going to "surprise a lot of people". DJ is a big fan of his physical tools and work ethic.
-Koval and Ado are #1 and #2 in NCAA career block leaders for active players according to DJ

-"I'm gonna tell you one thing we're gonna do, and that's defend."
Queens_NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 12:12 PM   #60
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queens_NYC View Post
DeMarr Johnson was on the Cincy Slangin podcast recently. Great listen. Some of his updates on the team were:

-The team is full of gym rats. Lots of players putting in hours beyond what's scheduled.

-The UNCG transfers and UC returnees have meshed great.

-Reiterated how the returning players did not have a good experience last season and how they're enjoying their basketball now. Insinuated how this will be reflected in improved player performance on the court (e.g. DeJulius's shooting)

-Abdul Ado is a beast and actually has some impressive footwork/offensive post moves

-Jarrett Hensley is going to "surprise a lot of people". DJ is a big fan of his physical tools and work ethic.
-Koval and Ado are #1 and #2 in NCAA career block leaders for active players according to DJ

-"I'm gonna tell you one thing we're gonna do, and that's defend."
That's pretty cool thanks for the update. I don't expect them to say anything bad but it sounds like defense and toughness is front and center with work ethic, confidence and chemistry. That solves about 3/4ths of the equation.

Scoring is not mentioned? I think that will be our main area we have to figure out. Part of that will come from team ball and confidence but play making is the other part I am worried about.