Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 07-06-2021, 03:32 PM   #11
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyalum2014 View Post
He was also the #9 ranked player in the state of Ohio in the 2020 class. From where this program was 3 months ago, IMO this is a huge get because we literally take zero risk in adding him with a walk on spot
Not a huge get IMO but awesome just the same. He's not good. But can probably help in practice. Walk on is what he is
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 05:41 PM   #12
cincyalum2014
Elite Member

cincyalum2014 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
Not a huge get IMO but awesome just the same. He's not good. But can probably help in practice. Walk on is what he is
I’d say he’s better than the walk ons we have , when I say that he’s a huge get, I mean in the sense he is a division one caliber player who is coming in as a walk on , great prep for the guys actually playing … it’s not your typical walk-on
cincyalum2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 08:22 PM   #13
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I’d say he’s better than the walk ons we have , when I say that he’s a huge get, I mean in the sense he is a division one caliber player who is coming in as a walk on , great prep for the guys actually playing … it’s not your typical walk-on
Similar to Rob Banks. I wonder if giving Rob Banks the scholarship is paying dividends. Anthony is similar in that if he does everything right he could get a scholarship in a couple of years and maybe even some playing time. Seeing as we have someone on scholarship who took just that route, may make higher tier walk-ons willing to take a chance and try to earn a scholarship.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 08:30 PM   #14
skyblade
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
Looking at lineups.

I would like to know how you get Ado, Koval, Ody 15 plus minutes when you have Lakhin, Davenport and Hensley who are all 6'7" plus. How do you keep 12 guys happy (minus Banks)?

Ado 20. Koval 15. Lakhin 5
Davenport 15. Ody 15. Lakhin 5. Hensley 5
Newman 20. Davenport 10. Hensley 5. McGinnis 5
MAW 20. Madsen 15. McGinnis 5.
DD 25. Saunders 15

I think the question marks here are the unknowns Hensley. McGinnis, and Lakhin. Will they play? Is Lakhin's knee ready to go? Is 10 minutes too much for them? I don't suspect they will all get 10 minutes. Probably closer to 5-7 and who knows if there is a red shirt possibility.

But the minutes allocation is as tough to predict as I can remember!!
I see Lakhin as a 0 minute guy, possibly a red-shirt. Per a recent Chad podcast Lakhin was sitting out practice with his knee wrapped at the practice Tobler watched.

I also see Davenport playing the 3 more than the 4. Guard may the more interesting/competitive position to watch. DDJ, Saunders, Mason, MAW and McGinnis, somebodies not going to get many minutes. With the sheer number of new faces it's going to be hard to predict until we see the product on the court.

Ado 20, Koval 15, Ody 5
Ody 20, Hensley 10, Davenport 10
Davenport 15, Newman 20, Mason/McGinnis (whichever is hot) 5
MAW 20. Mason 10. McGinnis 10.
DDJ 20. Saunders 20
Old 07-07-2021, 07:46 AM   #15
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post
I see Lakhin as a 0 minute guy, possibly a red-shirt. Per a recent Chad podcast Lakhin was sitting out practice with his knee wrapped at the practice Tobler watched.

I also see Davenport playing the 3 more than the 4. Guard may the more interesting/competitive position to watch. DDJ, Saunders, Mason, MAW and McGinnis, somebodies not going to get many minutes. With the sheer number of new faces it's going to be hard to predict until we see the product on the court.

Ado 20, Koval 15, Ody 5
DDJ 20. Saunders 20
Sucks for Lakhin but if he's out I would definitely give most of his minutes to Ody
Old 07-07-2021, 08:15 AM   #16
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
If he ends up playing some day as a regular rotation guy then it will be a big deal for sure. If not I don't think it will have much impact. I would agree he is better than our typical walk-on so his chances to some day crack the lineup should be better as well. I like the idea of getting a big man project as a walk on since finding good guards is much easier.
Old 07-07-2021, 08:44 AM   #17
CareBat

CareBat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post

Ado 20, Koval 15, Ody 5
DDJ 20. Saunders 20
Isn't Newman more of a 2?
CareBat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 11:20 AM   #18
TheRealMick
Elite Member

TheRealMick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CareBat View Post
Yeah but McGinnis and madsen strictly 2’s
TheRealMick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 11:47 AM   #19
skyblade
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealMick View Post
Yeah but McGinnis and madsen strictly 2’s
I think Mason could play as an undersized 3 situationally, especially if he puts on 5-10 pounds. Perhaps even McGinnis, though he'd be even more undersized.

Interesting tidbit, Newman is the only player listed as a wing on the gobearcats.com roster.
Old 07-07-2021, 11:48 AM   #20
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CareBat View Post
He can't really shoot well (so not much of a SG) so I would think more of a 3 (sf) but I guess it doesn't matter that much. He will be on the wing. If he starts at the 2 JD will have to play the 3 to keep a shooter out there. I don't see any way we can go with a lineup of Ado, Ody, Davenport, Newman, and Dejulius. There is just not enough shooting or scoring out there.

If he starts at the 3 we can have two shooters on the floor with Davenport at the 4 and MAW/Mason/McGinnis at the 2. DD and Mike are not great shooters either so something has to give.

When Koval/Lakhin is in we could probably play Newman at the 2 and Davenport at the 3 with Ody at the 4.