Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 12-20-2018, 07:46 AM   #1
GarradJ21
Epic Member

GarradJ21 is on a distinguished road
Player Breakdown (to this point of the season)

With OOC almost a wrap for the 2018-2019 season, I thought it would be fun to breakdown each player to this point on a high level overview. I'm sure some of you can break it down further with in-depth stats and efficiency:

Cumberland: Doing for the most part what we thought he would do. The best player on our team and taking control in a lot of the games besides the first half OSU and the UNLV game. I’ve been really impressed with his 3 point shooting as his % is really good. Truly the SK type feel when watching Cumberland.

Jenifer: Pretty impressive. The term glue guy that Rothstein tweets makes sense. IMO he’s pretty much surpassed my expectations and I’d imagine most of yours too. I remember the start of the season I said Logan is going to take his minutes. That’s not the case. I’m happy with it too because it’s so important to have a senior pg.

Scott: He’s doing pretty well. He’s def. eased the pain of Gary being gone. Been pretty consistent giving us good minutes. He has a nice shot to him too.

Brooks: Started out rough. A lot of people including myself were wondering if he will ever get it. Well he’s really done well or at least better than I think than most of us thought. Big thing is he needs to stay out of foul trouble. Overall contributing well.

Williams: I mean I don’t even need to say much. He’s be unbelievable this year and has been the biggest surprise. This is huge for us. Probably the second best player on the team behind Cumberland.

Broome: Hate to say it but he's been kind of disappointing so far this year but still not giving up on him. He has had a few good games. I think it makes sense Cane coming off the bench, he just needs to figure out how to score more. I know his shooting has been off especially as of late. I use to blame Cronin but we all see how easy Cane can turn it over sometimes and we are all happy with our starting lineup. It’s up to Cane to figure it out. Again, still not giving up on him.

Fredericks: Starting to pick things up. I don’t think he’s going to be a big scorer for us but if he keeps chipping in like he does I’m ok with it. He’s starting to do a lot of dirty work for us too which helps a lot. Overall, I’d like to see a little more out of him but he’s coming around nicely.

Moore: He’s been ok. Started out rough but starting to give us some decent minutes off the bench. I think we all just want to see 3s keep dropping for him. They are coming.

Johnson: We all know we will be in good hands for years to come with Logan. He’s fun to watch, he’s just playing behind two senior guards. Just hope that his lack of playing time doesn’t hurt us for next year but what else is Cronin supposed to do with Jenifer and Cane in front of him. Might need to get a grad transfer PG, but that’s for another discussion. Really though, Logan is the future and it’s going to be fun.

Nsoseme: Giving us everything we need. Hard hustle plays and toughness. Scoring a little bit.

Diarra: We have seen flashes. Not enough playing time for him now, but I
think the future is bright with him.

Overall, I think this year has been a lot of fun and I love watching this team grow. I know they have exceeded my expectations after watching them now compared to the OSU game. Let’s protect our home court in conference play and try and steal some road games @ Houston, @ UCF, and @ Temple. I think those are going to be our three toughest games left.

Not saying we are winning it all this year, but to think this team can’t make a nice little run in March is crazy. Sky's the limit.
GarradJ21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 08:11 AM   #2
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
Agreed overall. Fredericks and Moore gave us some solid minutes vs UCLA and Moore seems to be looking for his shot more.

I am one who expected Jenifer to be on the bench. In fact, I said during the off-season that I thought he might transfer out because he wouldn't be getting playing time as a senior. I got that a bit wrong. He has been our best PG and a solid glue guy, as well as a good example to other players of what you can become if you dedicate yourself. We need him to continue doing what he has been doing for us to be a great team this year.

Nsoseme still has a splint on his shooting hand. He may become more of a scorer once it is off. His effort is off the chart on every play though. Can't count them number of times I see him dive on the floor every game. Even when he's not grabbing rebounds he's poking the ball out to teamates, or drawing so much focus though somebody else can grab the rebound.

Williams: Just needs to improve his 3 point shooting. Doubt it will happen this year as it's usually an off-season thing. Hopefully he will dedicate himself and come in shooting great from 3 next year. Even without great 3-point shooting he has done very well replacing Evans.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 08:28 AM   #3
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post
Agreed overall. Fredericks and Moore gave us some solid minutes vs UCLA and Moore seems to be looking for his shot more.

I am one who expected Jenifer to be on the bench. In fact, I said during the off-season that I thought he might transfer out because he wouldn't be getting playing time as a senior. I got that a bit wrong. He has been our best PG and a solid glue guy, as well as a good example to other players of what you can become if you dedicate yourself. We need him to continue doing what he has been doing for us to be a great team this year.

Nsoseme still has a splint on his shooting hand. He may become more of a scorer once it is off. His effort is off the chart on every play though. Can't count them number of times I see him dive on the floor every game. Even when he's not grabbing rebounds he's poking the ball out to teamates, or drawing so much focus though somebody else can grab the rebound.

Williams: Just needs to improve his 3 point shooting. Doubt it will happen this year as it's usually an off-season thing. Hopefully he will dedicate himself and come in shooting great from 3 next year. Even without great 3-point shooting he has done very well replacing Evans.
If Williams can fix the mechanics of his shot over the next two seasons the sky is the limit for him
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 08:35 AM   #4
GarradJ21
Epic Member

Our two best players are top 100 kids. Well Williams was borderline. We need to keep landing these kind of guys.

I am just glad Williams is panning out. I was worried last year. I know he didn't get too much playing time but still, when he was in it wasn't all that good. A few decent moments, but still, never would have even imagined this type of production.
Old 12-20-2018, 08:37 AM   #5
GarradJ21
Epic Member

Jenifer and Cumberland each at 47% from 3 point range. That's crazy.
Old 12-20-2018, 10:45 AM   #6
TheLivingLegend
Epic Member

TheLivingLegend will become famous soon enoughTheLivingLegend will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarradJ21 View Post
Our two best players are top 100 kids. Well Williams was borderline. We need to keep landing these kind of guys.

I am just glad Williams is panning out. I was worried last year. I know he didn't get too much playing time but still, when he was in it wasn't all that good. A few decent moments, but still, never would have even imagined this type of production.

Stars are overrated.... Ucla is littered with 5 star guys. X is littered with 4 star guys.
TheLivingLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 10:46 AM   #7
GarradJ21
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLivingLegend View Post
Stars are overrated.... Ucla is littered with 5 star guys. X is littered with 4 star guys.
I get your point, but again, the best two players on our team are rated the highest. I love our team and players, but it does help landing some higher rated kids and mixing that with Cronin's coaching abilities. Nothing to go on about as we are winning and playing very well this year.

Last edited by GarradJ21; 12-20-2018 at 10:50 AM.
Old 12-20-2018, 10:51 AM   #8
GarradJ21
Epic Member

I really can't get over Jenifer and KW. This has been huge for us with the Cane struggles.
Old 12-20-2018, 11:20 AM   #9
cincycpaw
Epic Member

cincycpaw will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLivingLegend View Post
How many 4 star and 5 star players on each of the last 10 national champions?
cincycpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 11:56 AM   #10
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincycpaw View Post
How many 4 star and 5 star players on each of the last 10 national champions?

dont know but out of the 4 key nova guys, Brunson, DiVincenzo, Booth, and Bridges, only Brunson was a 5 star. The others were 4 star but were all between 75-124. I feel like the 75-125 range is a range we could get some players ourselves.

You can look at our teams to see the rankings can be meh at best. 2013 class Lawrence was a top 25 player, KJ was 138 and Caupain was 212. Game 1 it was clear who the best player from that class was and it was the lowest rated guy.

Gary Clark was 90 and Quadri Moore was 125. It was clear from day 1 they weren't even close.

Jacob Evans was 130 and Jenifer was 153, again obvious from the start not even in the same class.

There are plenty are players that aren't very good that get in the top 100. There are plenty of players really good that aren't top 100.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote