Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 05-04-2019, 06:44 PM   #591
TheRealMick
Elite Member

TheRealMick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDW79 View Post
I really don't know where to start, and know even less why I'm wasting my time replying.

Go look up Luke Kennard. Top 25 player, McDonald's All American, from Franklin, Ohio Here's his list of offers and top schools:

Duke, Dayton, Indiana, Kentucky, Louisville, Michigan, Michigan State, Notre Dame, Ohio State, West Virginia, and Xavier.

Notice that Cincinnati is missing from that list. Mick didn't continue to pursue because, for whatever reason, he wasn't coming here. And that's ok, it happens. It's not automatic that a local kid has interest in every local school, even regardless of the coaches recruiting ability. There's a lot in play beyond what we know and speculate on.

Want another example? Look up Jaxson Hayes. 4 star recruit, son of a Bengals coach, and projected lottery pick this year. Played in town, at Moeller. Here's his list of offers and top schools:

Texas, Butler, Illinois, Kentucky, Ohio State, Purdue, and Xavier.

Again, Cincinnati is missing. Why? Who knows. But at some point either Mick knew he wouldn't get him or didn't want him. Take your pick. Again, it happens and it's ok.

Still want a couple more, just for good measure?

Carlton Bragg (4 star, top 25, from Cleveland) - Kansas, Kentucky, Arizona, Illinois, UCLA

Jaeshawn Tate (4 star, top 25, from Pickerington, OH) - Ohio State, Dayton, Georgetown, Iowa, Michigan, Purdue, West Virginia, Xavier.

I could go on and on...

These guys all were higher rated than Curtis, and I think we'd all agree that recruiting to UC is much easier than recruiting to a school like NKU. So what gives, if we're actually to buy into your logic? Care to explain? Were you up in arms, polluting message boards when we weren't going hard after Kennard? I somehow doubt it.

The truth is there are any number of reasons a coach could not pursue a kid, and simply labeling the coach as a failure for not extending an offer to ONE kid is beyond ridiculous. You don't if Brannen inquired about or expressed interest in Curtis. And the reaction if he did couldve been as simple as "Samari's only looking at major programs". At that point, why waste offering someone who you know has no interest in your school, for whatever reason?

PS You keep saying in state and portraying him as local. Xenia is not in Kentucky the last I checked. And Xenia not even really local to Cincinnati either. It's not like he's in the backyard and coming from a program that your coaching staff has interacted with for years. ie Moeller, St X, Winton Woods. Quit representing Xenia, OH like its Cov Cath to Brannen.
Gotcha so we got another coach that don't even offer top kids at no cost? Also Xenia isn't 75miles from nku campus so make it make some sense saying Xenia isn't in Cincy/nku backyard. What was Mick or Mack connect at Xenia?

Im all in on Brennen just like I was Mick from beginning. I don't agree with everything Justin saying but let's be fair Brennen is on clock right now. I can't give him a pass(I didn't give Mick pass) for 3yrs rebuild. It's either you better than Mick or leash short. I'm not 100% sure Nku didn't offer Samari but if they didn't that's a MAJOR red flag on coach recruiting local talent. Within 1st month if he wanted to take over city offers should've been out to Paul McMillan(Aiken) son, he's going to be McDonald's all American right across street from UC, Darryl Peterson(west hi/Akron) son, also should be up there in Top 50in nation. We got top talent all over city get them. Fickell locked up local high schools before he had dinner with family. I need see some of that asap.
TheRealMick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 07:40 PM   #592
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
I actually see some decent stuff popping up on recruiting even for 2019. I would be good with Sloan, Maidoh, T. Williams and another transfer name.

I am not happy with the Domask guy really. I think he’s a fall back type of plan. Starting to feel much better the more names pop up
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 07:49 PM   #593
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
I actually see some decent stuff popping up on recruiting even for 2019. I would be good with Sloan, Maidoh, T. Williams and another transfer name.

I am not happy with the Domask guy really. I think he’s a fall back type of plan. Starting to feel much better the more names pop up
Also like Scrubb and Loveday for 2020. I haven’t checked through all the lists. Not big on M Saunders
Old 05-04-2019, 08:02 PM   #594
the_one_32
Recruiting Analyst

the_one_32 will become famous soon enoughthe_one_32 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Also like Scrubb and Loveday for 2020. I haven’t checked through all the lists. Not big on M Saunders
Tujautae Williams 2019 SF 6'6" 180 lbs visiting May 8th-11th via his Twitter. Has interest from Texas AM, Buffalo and Minnesota but no offers.
the_one_32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 08:10 PM   #595
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_one_32 View Post
Tujautae Williams 2019 SF 6'6" 180 lbs visiting May 8th-11th via his Twitter. Has interest from Texas AM, Buffalo and Minnesota but no offers.
Yah I mentioned him in the previous response T Williams. I like him!
Old 05-04-2019, 08:16 PM   #596
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Yah I mentioned him in the previous response T Williams. I like him!
Also a serious question. How much should we expect better results from Brannen in year one? With Cronin it often took his guys 1-2 years to fully grasp his system so much so he wouldn’t play many of them significant minutes until years 3 or 4.

Even with a full roster returning they still are all in year 1 of a new system. What is too much to expect from that situation?
Old 05-04-2019, 08:28 PM   #597
Alum2013
Elite Member

Alum2013 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRunner89 View Post
It's different bc Cronin didn't come here playing with house money. Brannnen inherited a top 15 team and it's looking like he just let it wither away. Which is disappointing considering he's supposed to be an upgrade apparently... On top of that samari wanted to come here so it shouldn't of been hard to retain him. Not really understanding why our roster should be in jeopardy right now. But Cronin should have locked in Downey being that it was our best player at the same time
We weren't a top 15 all of last year and certainly weren't on pace to be this year so that's just blatantly false. Curtis decommitted from Xaxier to come to us following Mack's departure so clearly he didn't want to come here that bad. Again, blatantly false.

So Cronin loses Downey, our best player and future almost all American and Brannen loses Brooks...a mediocre AAC player who can't not foul out in 20min of play and he's the worst?
Alum2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 08:35 PM   #598
JoeRunner89

JoeRunner89 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Also a serious question. How much should we expect better results from Brannen in year one? With Cronin it often took his guys 1-2 years to fully grasp his system so much so he wouldn’t play many of them significant minutes until years 3 or 4.

Even with a full roster returning they still are all in year 1 of a new system. What is too much to expect from that situation?
With a full compliment of player we should expect a sweet 16 at least. All this talk about improvement i don't got time to waiste or pardon years to give. Hell in yr one Kevin Ollie led UConn to a chip
JoeRunner89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 08:41 PM   #599
JoeRunner89

JoeRunner89 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alum2013 View Post
We weren't a top 15 all of last year and certainly weren't on pace to be this year so that's just blatantly false. Curtis decommitted from Xaxier to come to us following Mack's departure so clearly he didn't want to come here that bad. Again, blatantly false.

So Cronin loses Downey, our best player and future almost all American and Brannen loses Brooks...a mediocre AAC player who can't not foul out in 20min of play and he's the worst?
Houston and UCF should of knocked out Duke and Kentucky really... The ratings are typically biased... We should have been top 15 this yr. And based off preseason ranking for this upcoming yr I don't see how we aren't top 15. That's exactly why coaches leave and players transfer through a lack of apprecitation... Brooks was on track to have a solid senior yr def was better than medicore look at his transfer list..
JoeRunner89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 08:53 PM   #600
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRunner89 View Post
Houston and UCF should of knocked out Duke and Kentucky really... The ratings are typically biased... We should have been top 15 this yr. And based off preseason ranking for this upcoming yr I don't see how we aren't top 15. That's exactly why coaches leave and players transfer through a lack of apprecitation... Brooks was on track to have a solid senior yr def was better than medicore look at his transfer list..
I don't think we should have been top 15 last year (lots of close wins). But I agree that this year we should definitely be top 15 if everyone returns, some of the early top 25's had us in the 5-10 range.

And Brooks was definitely better then mediocre, but the new thing seems to immediately downgrade the abilities of anyone who leaves our program. Brooks was arguably the 2nd best player (and definitely a top 3 player) on a top 25 team and on track to have an excellent senior season.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote