Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 03-04-2020, 10:16 AM   #221
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyguy13 View Post
To me, it’s the physicality and just learning how to deal with that and double teams. We played a hard non conference schedule. Every team had size. He played great the first go round in conference. The second time teams seen him, it’s been bad. He has to get more physical and learn to pass out of the double. He has been passing better recently. He also can’t be asked to play the whole game. That makes him even worst because he’s scared to foul.
He's just worn out. It happens.

Brooks from Jan 27-Feb27 last year 8 games

5.3 points 7 boards 1.3 blocks 15-45 from the floor 33%

Vogt last 8 games

7.1 points 5.2 boards 1.7 blocks 24-44 from the floor 54.5%

Brooks was able to bounce back a bit in march. I'm not sure Vogt has it in him, too many minutes on that body.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 10:16 AM   #222
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post
Diarra's best games have come against Wichita State and USF. Both teams with big men who have significant height/weight advantages on him. He is able to use his mobility and athleticism to make up the difference.

Anyone who is going to give Diarra matchup issues will also give Vogt problems.

Diarra also presents more matchup problems of his own on the offensive end. He shoots it from 3 well enough that teams have to guard him. Being able to pull the other teams big away from the basket provides more driving lanes and rebounding opportunities.
He’s shot 5. I get he’s made 4 but I don’t think teams are game planning for diarra. I think they would rather him have the Baal as much as possible because he’s a guaranteed turnover.
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 10:23 AM   #223
cincrulz11
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post
Diarra's best games have come against Wichita State and USF. Both teams with big men who have significant height/weight advantages on him. He is able to use his mobility and athleticism to make up the difference.
He didn't guard Echineque vs Wichita St game 2. First game he fronted and once Wichita St figured it out they just lobbed it over his head for a dunk and we didn't try that again.

in his 30 minutes of PT vs wichita st this year he was 3 rebounds, 0 blocks, 1 stl, and 11 points.

when Vogt puts up numbers like that you go on and on about how much he sucks.
Old 03-04-2020, 10:23 AM   #224
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyalum2014 View Post
Vogt is very soft, he was a bully to the smaller schools early in the year due to his size, but in conference play against better teams it doesn't work. I agree Diarra needs to play more and he has no choice but to play now with us only having 8-9 healthy players. Diarra absolutely has his limitations and still makes bone headed plays but its what we have, worst case scenario for us is if Scott gets into foul trouble early because then we either have to go Diarra and Vogt on the court together which I do not want or we have to go extremely small.

I also feel Brannen at times has a loyalty to Vogt because of his time at NKU, which I understand.
I was contemplating how you sit Scott if Diarra is playing center during the second half last night. Scott had foul trouble and got close to getting a 4th a couple times. Without Davenport, the options for backing up Scott are limited to small ball or Diarra.

As much as I like Diarra, he doesn't seem to be nearly as comfortable playing the 4 as the 5, especially on the defensive end. At the 5 on defense he is, at times, as dominant as a defensive player can be. At the 4 he tends to make a lot more mistakes and get lost more. Cronin was using him as a 5, so it's likely he just has less experience at the 4. If he were starting at center, I don't think I'd want to rotate him to the 4 and have Vogt play the 5 much.

That leaves just small ball (with Diarra/Vogt at the 5) to rest Scott. But if you play small ball with Vogt at the 5, you have nobody on the floor who rebounds well. So that means maybe you can only rest Scott when Diarra is playing at the 5.

Regardless, even with the current lineups I think the conclusion is that Scott needs to play every possible minute that he can. Scott is our most valuable player right now and luckily seems to have the stamina to play major minutes.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 10:28 AM   #225
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
remember when he was saying it was brannen's fault Tre was struggling because he wasn't recruited to play in a system like this.

and then once Tre got the system down and was flourishing its because thats what happens to players.

I was defending the players. I said y’all are being incredibly hard on a player who was never recruited in this system who was struggling.

Y’all had so much shit to talk about Tre Scott earlier in the year.

Just like everyone here talked shit about Jarron. Some people questioned his buy in, his effort level, some said he should be benched.
I said brendel mentioned he was injured. No one wanted to hear that UNTiL it fit the narrative to protect John Brannen from criticism.

I’ve been consistent in my defense of the returning players. I defend them when they were having poor showings and praise when they are great.

I mean there were people on this board who were saying that Tre Scott just isn’t a good player. I’m glad he proved you wrong.

Feels like this board is celebrating a national championship win or something. We beat USF. I think it’s been 11 straight times.

I’m glad we won, I’m glad Brannen adjusted and glad his wife thinks it’s worthy of shutting up the haters.

It never hurts my ego when UC wins guys.

If John Brannen gets us to an Elite 8 in the next 4 years, I’ll get his initials tattooed on my ass. And I’ll proudly show it off.

If he wins. I’m happy.
But man, the gloating after this win is a bit extreme.

Let’s make a run and unite the fan base.
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 10:37 AM   #226
cincrulz11
Epic Member

I've been saying for a while imagine what Scott could have been with 4 years of Brannen.

Scott is an interesting guy. He'll still make really bonehead plays you just don't expect from a 5th year Sr, and he'll make them every game. But he always works hard and when he trusts his athleticism he's really good.

I think sometimes he forgets how athletic he is.
Old 03-04-2020, 10:42 AM   #227
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
He didn't guard Echineque vs Wichita St game 2. First game he fronted and once Wichita St figured it out they just lobbed it over his head for a dunk and we didn't try that again.

in his 30 minutes of PT vs wichita st this year he was 3 rebounds, 0 blocks, 1 stl, and 11 points.

He’ll probably ignore this
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 10:48 AM   #228
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
Quote:

I was referring to the game @WSU specifically. He played 20 minutes, the majority of them at the 5 because of Vogt's foul trouble and played very well. Yes, he got beat a few times and an Echinique type is a guy we might need to give Diarra some help with. But we expend a ton of effort on defense trying to help Vogt and cover for his poor defense, so even if Diarra needs help he's the better defender.

I judge by what I watch, stat lines can influence me to a degree sometimes, but on a small scale (one game) they can be poor even when a guy has a good game (especially a guy like Diarra whose main influence on the game is on defense).
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 10:48 AM   #229
Jon Rycek
Epic Member

Jon Rycek is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRunner89 View Post
Tre and Brooks were playing very good together towards the end of last yr. Would have made for a top frontcourt this yr. I've ran into Trey frequently during his time here. Was always easy going and positive energy. Saw before the Memphis game I told him he could go pro and I really meant it. It's almost like he responded and raised his game but he was on a trajectory for this production. Just sat behind a few guys during his time but that's what good programs do. Ask for production from guys when it's needed and not out of attrition something that has been stressed this yr solid depth. Glad they pulled this one out I wanna see my team make the tournament at least certainly does matter win it all or not
So you think Tre is playing the way he is because you, some random fan said he could go pro lol
Jon Rycek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 10:51 AM   #230
Jon Rycek
Epic Member

Jon Rycek is on a distinguished road
Quote:
we'd be to page 30 if we had lost last night.
Yeah if we lost to a well below .500 USF I’m sure we would be. Are you suggesting that people should have just been okay if we lost last night??
Jon Rycek is offline   Reply With Quote