Old 12-16-2018, 01:59 PM   #1
Queens_NYC
Epic Member

Queens_NYC is on a distinguished road
UCLA

Wed. Dec 19, 2018 / 9 p.m.
Fifth Third Arena
ESPN2

UCLA (7-3, KenPom #50) is coming off a 74-72 home loss to Belmont but still boasts the most talented roster we'll face this regular season (6 Top 50 recruits) highlighted by 2019 NBA Draft prospects Kris Wilkes and Jaylen Hands.

They're one of the better rebounding teams in the country (currently 27th) and one of the best shot blocking teams in the country (currently 14th) mostly due to the play of 7-1 freshman Moses Brown (shout out to Molloy!) who has a similar skill set to a very familiar foe, Tacko Fall.

Brown is a horrendous FT shooter (14 for 37 on the season) which brings UCLA's team average down to 61% (340th nationally).

This will be UCLA's first true road game of the season, as they've lost decisively to Michigan State and UNC in their only other games away from Pauley Pavilion.
Queens_NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 05:57 AM   #2
Cin City

Cin City is on a distinguished road
Come out angry and beat them down please. Build a 10-15 point lead and strangle them. Make them uncomfortable. UC 72-58
Cin City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 01:52 PM   #3
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
We should be Able to out tough them. But they are coming off a loss too so it won't be easy.

Also, while I think UC is better Overall, and has a better coach and a better culture, I don't feel 100% comfortable about this game.

Its alwayys hard to feel comfortable when the other team has so much talent. Wilkes, Hands, & brown are all 5 star guys.

But that said, they don't have a single Senior on the team and just 1 JR.

Kinda sucks that the students will be off campus on break for this game. But you can get student section tickets for 30 bucks.

Also this is the first true road game for a team who lacks any real experience.
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 03:55 AM   #4
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

WAITE HOYT 2 is on a distinguished road
A win against the bruins and finishing this 5 game stretch at 4-1 would exceed my expectations. I honestly had this team at 3-2 over this span. The bruins will have to bring their A game to best us at home. While they have higher rated players we do not lose at home often. Our talent may not be as good but we do not best ourselves often. I think we win this game.
WAITE HOYT 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 04:32 AM   #5
icehole3

icehole3 is on a distinguished road
Whatever they've done to 5th 3rd it seems louder than usual. I mean very very loud. Don't think UCLA will be able to deal with it. I think it'll be a beat down 12-15 point win. Hopefully Moore, Johnson and Frederick get 12+ mins each.
icehole3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 06:39 AM   #6
cincycpaw
Epic Member

cincycpaw will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAITE HOYT 2 View Post
A win against the bruins and finishing this 5 game stretch at 4-1 would exceed my expectations. I honestly had this team at 3-2 over this span. The bruins will have to bring their A game to best us at home. While they have higher rated players we do not lose at home often. Our talent may not be as good but we do not best ourselves often. I think we win this game.

I agree that 4-1 over this stretch is better than I had even hoped. I was a little disappointed in how we lost to Miss State, but not the result. UCLA is on our home court though, it's not a bad loss if we lose, but I don't expect us to lose. I think the home court advantage helps us prevail so long as Cumberland is Cumberland, Keith is Keith, and our bigs bang inside and rebound.
cincycpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 06:52 AM   #7
Cin City

Cin City is on a distinguished road
Play defense. UCLA hasn't seen anything like it...add in the crowd and I like our guys to get the W.
Cin City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 07:09 AM   #8
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
We should be Able to out tough them. But they are coming off a loss too so it won't be easy.

Also, while I think UC is better Overall, and has a better coach and a better culture, I don't feel 100% comfortable about this game.

Its alwayys hard to feel comfortable when the other team has so much talent. Wilkes, Hands, & brown are all 5 star guys.

But that said, they don't have a single Senior on the team and just 1 JR.

Kinda sucks that the students will be off campus on break for this game. But you can get student section tickets for 30 bucks.

Also this is the first true road game for a team who lacks any real experience.
I think our type of high end defense can really frustrate younger talented players. They are used to abusing defenders at every level. More experienced high end talent can sometimes break our system down but I like our chances against younger but more talented teams.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 09:44 AM   #9
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Somethings of note:

• UCLA has ELITE 2 pt defense, and its mostly because of their extreme length and 5 Star Shot blocker Moses Brown
  • UCLA is 50 Spots better on defense over last season.
  • They've been battle tested... But this is their first true road game
  • IF they end up scoring easy on us, our best defense, maybe a foul. They shoot just 61% which is #338 in the nation
  • They do NOT pressure the ball or attempt to force Turnovers. They ranked #339 in TO rate.
  • This team rebounds really well for a UCLA team. They grad boards on both sides of the ball
  • We will get some shots blocked. but need to stay persistant.
  • UCLA has lost 3 times.. In each of thoses losses, their opponents made 11 or more 3's. Outside shooting is a must against them, because their inside defense is elite.
  • They started the season playing ultra high possession basketaball and have since slowed it down a bit. I think they aren't nearly as uncomfortable playing slower.
  • Offensive rebounding is a huge deal for them, especially when the shot isn't falling. They were able to beat Notre Dame, because they grabbed 18 offensive rebounds.
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 09:56 AM   #10
GarradJ21
Epic Member

GarradJ21 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
Somethings of note:

• UCLA has ELITE 2 pt defense, and its mostly because of their extreme length and 5 Star Shot blocker Moses Brown
  • UCLA is 50 Spots better on defense over last season.
  • They've been battle tested... But this is their first true road game
  • IF they end up scoring easy on us, our best defense, maybe a foul. They shoot just 61% which is #338 in the nation
  • They do NOT pressure the ball or attempt to force Turnovers. They ranked #339 in TO rate.
  • This team rebounds really well for a UCLA team. They grad boards on both sides of the ball
  • We will get some shots blocked. but need to stay persistant.
  • UCLA has lost 3 times.. In each of thoses losses, their opponents made 11 or more 3's. Outside shooting is a must against them, because their inside defense is elite.
  • They started the season playing ultra high possession basketaball and have since slowed it down a bit. I think they aren't nearly as uncomfortable playing slower.
  • Offensive rebounding is a huge deal for them, especially when the shot isn't falling. They were able to beat Notre Dame, because they grabbed 18 offensive rebounds.
From this breakdown (always appreciated) it would sound like we are going to lose by 10. We haven't been great on the defensive rebounding side of things and if they are that good on offensive rebounding then we are in trouble. If we are relying on 3 pt shooting because they are a great 2 point defensive team then that is less than ideal.

Again, this breakdown would have me worried, and make it seem like we are going to lose by 10. Simple eye test and trusting our coach, team and home court advantage I think we win by 10.
GarradJ21 is offline   Reply With Quote