Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-26-2020, 10:57 AM   #41
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
Do you want to give it to Keith will will literally dribble into traffic and throw up a wild shot?

Do you want to Trust Tre Scott who has never done it before?

Like there are 2 guys I would trust to take the last shot. Both have last names of Cumberland. Jarron can create his own shot and I would trust Jaevin on a catch and shoot.
This is also my answer when people say there is so much talent on this team. Are there good players? Yes, but beside jarron, who can create a shot? Not Keith, not Tre, who? Those guys are effective but as far as playmaking, we have one guy.
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 10:58 AM   #42
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
so are you guys saying you dont want the ball in jarrons hands in those situations? should mika have it?

what would you LIKE to see.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 11:02 AM   #43
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by kskenyon4 View Post
I don't know why other ideas are so crazy if our success rate is floating below 25% right now? I don't even mind Jarron having the ball, but he has one option, take it to the rim.

It's hindsight, but I bet if KW had 5 chances, he'd go 1/5 like Jarron has too...
Last second buckets really really hard to make.

And fans criticize the player and the coach every time no matter how it plays out.

I've been Critical of John Brannen, but I've not been critical of the way he's handled last second plays.

To me, I think the issue is, why are we playing in so many last second games against not great teams?

If Jarron Drives and misses.. he takes shit
If Jarron drives and dumps off to Scott who fumbles and misses.... He Takes shit
If he avoids drive and takes a mid range jumper he will get shit on
IF Tre Scott is the ball handler and screws up.. then every one says why didnt you let Jarron shoot it.

The goal should be to avoid those scenarios. But you ride your best player and you ride on his decision making.
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 11:08 AM   #44
kskenyon4
Elite Member

kskenyon4 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
so are you guys saying you dont want the ball in jarrons hands in those situations? should mika have it?

Seems the consensus is a 'play' vs straight ISO for Jarron. Which is what I would agree with. He seems to have 1 option, drive to the rim (or pull off and shoot a jumper if they really slag off which they never do).
kskenyon4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 11:09 AM   #45
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyguy13 View Post
This is also my answer when people say there is so much talent on this team. Are there good players? Yes, but beside jarron, who can create a shot? Not Keith, not Tre, who? Those guys are effective but as far as playmaking, we have one guy.
It would be a crazy gamble, but I think Mika Adams-Woods could be a Troy Caupain like Layup maker in crunch time

The Advantage with MAW is that teams don't know his tendencies all that well. They know Jarron's every move, they know where he is going. And they know he isn't an athletic dude.

The fact is.. Jarron has been fouled on every one of those players and I don't think he is going up and trying to only get fouled. I think he is going up to score and gets fouled but can't get a call because he is driving into a lane filled with 3 people
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 11:09 AM   #46
cincrulz11
Epic Member

i also think you guys need to look at the full play we have instead of the final result.

already we know 1st game vs wichita state jarron had multiple options.

vs uconn end of regulation jarron can drive and then diarra is setting a screen on the perimeter for jaevin to get a wide open corner 3. jarron lost the ball.

inbound play in OT no way jarron is designed to get it there. mika misses keith under the basket. jarron is last option and catches in an awful place.

last play of regulation vs UCF we run a high ball screen with Jaevin, if they over commit Jaevin gets a wide open 3. Jarron then has the option to drive baseline and shoot, or hit keith wide open in the corner on a skip pass.

the things you guys are complaining about we are already doing. you just aren't looking for them and then you look at the end result.
Old 02-26-2020, 11:27 AM   #47
cincrulz11
Epic Member

Quote:

To me, I think the issue is, why are we playing in so many last second games against not great teams?

The goal should be to avoid those scenarios. But you ride your best player and you ride on his decision making.

we have these long stretches in so many games where it looks like none of our guys know how to play basketball. we'll just turn it over possession after possession without any pressure.

you would hope by now that would have been fixed, but it keeps happening. thats how we get all these close games vs mediocre competition.
Old 02-26-2020, 11:31 AM   #48
cincrulz11
Epic Member

Quote:
It would be a crazy gamble, but I think Mika Adams-Woods could be a Troy Caupain like Layup maker in crunch time

The Advantage with MAW is that teams don't know his tendencies all that well. They know Jarron's every move, they know where he is going. And they know he isn't an athletic dude.

i think mika's length throws defenders off. i can definitely see him being a go to guy in the future.
Old 02-26-2020, 11:50 AM   #49
Loser Mentality

Loser Mentality is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post

It's a no brainer for Jarron to have the ball on last shot opportunities to win games...BUT if Jarron is just going to throw up a prayer or a shot hoping to get a foul called...give it to someone else.

Vogt should not be out there on last second game winning opportunities, only due to his low offensive rebound chance rate.

I'd rather Jarron have a catch and shoot opportunity, I can live with that.

I remember when Jarron used to get open, busting his a.. to get open. Brannen has good enough set plays to get Jarron a really good look, or anyone else on the floor. Jarron's injuries have limited him some, especially in the "lift" department, which makes his drives easier to defend. Until someone else finds the courage to be great, I guess we will ride Jarron till the wheels fall off completely.
Loser Mentality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 01:16 PM   #50
kskenyon4
Elite Member

kskenyon4 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loser Mentality View Post
It's a no brainer for Jarron to have the ball on last shot opportunities to win games...BUT if Jarron is just going to throw up a prayer or a shot hoping to get a foul called...give it to someone else.

Vogt should not be out there on last second game winning opportunities, only due to his low offensive rebound chance rate.

I'd rather Jarron have a catch and shoot opportunity, I can live with that.

I remember when Jarron used to get open, busting his a.. to get open. Brannen has good enough set plays to get Jarron a really good look, or anyone else on the floor. Jarron's injuries have limited him some, especially in the "lift" department, which makes his drives easier to defend. Until someone else finds the courage to be great, I guess we will ride Jarron till the wheels fall off completely.
This comment got me thinking about minutes, and what sort of legs we could expect come AAC tourney and hopefully NCAA. Especially since Brennan self prides on getting better through the year and playing your best ball in March.

This year Jarron is averaging .3 less MPG than last year, which is sort of amazing given the 7 OTs.

Tre averages roughly 33 MPG, which is a ton.

But I'm encouraged that like most teams, we run 6 deep on guys who eat up majority of minutes, but 7-9 we have Harvey, Mcneal and Diarra, then have Davenport getting minutes at a 10th slot.

I have hopes we don't look bogged down come crunch time.
kskenyon4 is offline   Reply With Quote