Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 03-05-2020, 02:26 PM   #21
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyalum2014 View Post
My issue with the whole grad transfer thing is we are basically getting another mid major talent. We wont attract a high lever grad transfer like a Seth Towns or anyone like that and that's okay but my biggest concern is we end up with another Sorolla or McNeal, 2 guys who are lower level talent and expecting them to all of a sudden play at a higher level in there 5th year at UC. I get we need a big body and its just a crap shoot with what you can get because most 5th year guys are transferring and are expecting to play big minutes.
You can get good players. It just most transfers aren’t that good. At our level, we will get the guys that didn’t pan out at bigger schools. Those can still be good players. Semi from smu, Kyle Washington, Isaiah Mike at smu, Jarreau at Houston. Just have to find them. Plenty of good players out there.
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 02:28 PM   #22
Queens_NYC
Epic Member

Queens_NYC is on a distinguished road
I may be in the minority here, but a grad transfer wing is a big priority for me this offseason. We'd be able to advertise a very attainable starting position (would have to beat out Harvey) and hopefully attract someone with a good amount of high major experience/was a mid-major star.

This would allow Harvey to better grow into his role next season (as well as Gabe Madsen) and if either Harvey/Gabe wins the starting spot midseason (ala MAW) they'll hopefully still have a high character mentor (like McNeal) who can push them in practice and accelerate their leadership and development.
Queens_NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 02:29 PM   #23
ME80

ME80 is on a distinguished road
Better yes, down a level, drastic view.
ME80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 02:31 PM   #24
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdchick View Post
This has to be the worse year for the American Conference, I don’t remember it being this bad.
Sadly its not.

Its not even close really. 2015, 2017 and even 2018 were all worse

Thing is.. The conference as a whole is much better. ECU, Tulane, USF are tougher outs than they used to be.

Its just we have a large middle but not A very elite top.

If you look at efficiency wise in kenpom, this year and last year are damn near on par as a whole.
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 02:32 PM   #25
Loser Mentality

Loser Mentality is on a distinguished road
A nice Vogt/Brooks mix would be interesting as a recruit. (Good Hands, decent feet close to basket/rebounder, shotblocker, and energy on defense.)

Juco is looking dry....
Loser Mentality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 02:37 PM   #26
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ME80 View Post
Better yes, down a level, drastic view.

Its down a level. I'll stick by that.

in 2014: AAC was the 7th best conference, BE was 5th
in 2015: AAC was 9th, BE was 2nd
in 2016: AAC was 7th, BE was 3rd
2017: AAC 7th, BE 3rd
2018: AAC 7th , bE 3rd
2019: AAC 6th, BE 5th
2020: AAC 7th, BE 3rd

Like last year was the worst year ever for the BE and they still finished ahead of us.

In kenpom's Adjusted Efficiency ranking of every conference. they are mostly double our number and in some years tripled it.

We are on an island. We aren't low Major, but we aren't power level yet.

This year, KP has the WCC as being closer to the AAC than the AAC is close to the big east.
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 02:38 PM   #27
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queens_NYC View Post
I may be in the minority here, but a grad transfer wing is a big priority for me this offseason. We'd be able to advertise a very attainable starting position (would have to beat out Harvey) and hopefully attract someone with a good amount of high major experience/was a mid-major star.

This would allow Harvey to better grow into his role next season (as well as Gabe Madsen) and if either Harvey/Gabe wins the starting spot midseason (ala MAW) they'll hopefully still have a high character mentor (like McNeal) who can push them in practice and accelerate their leadership and development.

i wouldn't be opposed to bringing in a shooter. people can say what they want about Jaevin, but we'd have no shot at the tournament this year if we didn't pick him up.

if you can get 35% on 200 attempts out of a guy its going to be valuable.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 04:54 PM   #28
sirthought

sirthought is on a distinguished road
Yes, we need front court depth next year! Any and all! Bigs are so hard to find that it will likely be someone we'd not really want to choose, but still need to.

But I think bringing in a one-year grad transfer wing to start is basically saying Harvey isn't ready for his shot to play—that is asking for trouble within the troops. He'll be ready to step up in the rotation.

If we can get a sure fire sniper—any coach would take that. But Harvey—and Davenport hopefully—will make the sophomore jump. He's going to figure out a lot this summer to improve his offense. He's already playing defense nearly as well as anyone on the team. Needs improvement, but the effort is growing.

The team's play is inconsistent, but I'm pleased with the development of newer guys overall. And don't discount Vogt. He's a late bloomer, but he's going to improve a lot this summer. We just need a big to help him out.
sirthought is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 05:08 PM   #29
cincyguy13
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queens_NYC View Post

I don’t think brannen would turn any talent down. No matter the position. Priority is bigs but I’m sure we will try any good player when can get.
Old 03-05-2020, 05:15 PM   #30
cincyguy13
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdchick View Post
This has to be the worse year for the American Conference, I don’t remember it being this bad.
It was always bad. Houston wasn’t good till recently. Its always been a 1-2 good team league. The rest were trash. I think that’s why people remember mick dominating the league. Everyone was trash. In the recent years, I think it’s been a lot better. WSU, Houston, and at least teams that are decent. Smu, Tulsa, UCf, temple, Memphis. The last couple years a few of these teams were at least decent.