Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 03-04-2016, 11:40 AM   #1011
JackBauer151
Epic Member

JackBauer151 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to JackBauer151
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
See if this sounds familiar...It's the end of the year and we're scoring in the 50s. And we are undermanned with only 6 usuable players (that's if you include DeBerry and Johnson).

Why again is it better for us to leave scholarships on the table in EVERY class?
I think it should be based on players available and how good the players are on the current roster. However this group has proven that nobody should be safe. All could be recruited over. If they can get Bowman, do it. I have real concerns about Justin Jenifer ever being the starting point guard of a top level team. I feel the recruiting is getting better, 2011 and 2012 just killed us. Last two years our only 4 year seniors were Jermaine Sanders and Shaq Thomas. Two extremely average (at best) division one college basketball players. However Clark, Evans, Cumberland, and Washington all seem to be big time players. That trend has to continue and get better. The season isnt over. I think they win on Sunday and get in the dance. From there anything can happen. Season can still be salvaged. Not that I'd bet on it....
JackBauer151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 11:55 AM   #1012
Bearcat_NTS
Epic Member

Bearcat_NTS will become famous soon enough
Quote:
I hear you Waterhead. But we're going to walk the ball up the floor on every single possession of postseason basketball. Hard to make a run like that...UC fans would know .
So you want them to push the tempo when they have 3 guys playing 37+ minutes and only 6 guys that can give them anything?
Bearcat_NTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 12:03 PM   #1013
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcat_NTS View Post
So you want them to push the tempo when they have 3 guys playing 37+ minutes and only 6 guys that can give them anything?
Let's be honest, it is more like 4 players that give us anything. But to answer your question, I don't even know. Cronin hasn't constructed very good rosters since the Sweet 16 team. I'd love to say just play everyone and press, but we clearly aren't built for that. Moore and DeBerry are 2 of the ONLY 3 bench players. And most of the rest of our guys are slow and out of shape.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 12:07 PM   #1014
Bearcat_NTS
Epic Member

Quote:
Let's be honest, it is more like 4 players that give us anything. But to answer your question, I don't even know. Cronin hasn't constructed very good rosters since the Sweet 16 team. I'd love to say just play everyone and press, but we clearly aren't built for that. Moore and DeBerry are 2 of the ONLY 3 bench players. And most of the rest of our guys are slow and out of shape.
The truth is, we are a slow plodding team. It's just the personnel of the roster. I was never impressed with Jenifer's tape from the moment he committed. He's supposedly very quick. I haven't seen him be able to blow by the guy guarding him like all the Houston guards did last night.
Old 03-04-2016, 12:09 PM   #1015
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

Quote:
The truth is, we are a slow plodding team. It's just the personnel of the roster. I was never impressed with Jenifer's tape from the moment he committed. He's supposedly very quick. I haven't seen him be able to blow by the guy guarding him like all the Houston guards did last night.
More work on feet, core, and cardio this offseason is desperately needed. I don't care how much a guy benches, tell me who squats the most.
Old 03-04-2016, 12:30 PM   #1016
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackBauer151 View Post
I think it should be based on players available and how good the players are on the current roster. However this group has proven that nobody should be safe. All could be recruited over. If they can get Bowman, do it. I have real concerns about Justin Jenifer ever being the starting point guard of a top level team. I feel the recruiting is getting better, 2011 and 2012 just killed us. Last two years our only 4 year seniors were Jermaine Sanders and Shaq Thomas. Two extremely average (at best) division one college basketball players. However Clark, Evans, Cumberland, and Washington all seem to be big time players. That trend has to continue and get better. The season isnt over. I think they win on Sunday and get in the dance. From there anything can happen. Season can still be salvaged. Not that I'd bet on it....
Jack I think we need to fill the roster. We end up with SRs like Guyn, Thomas, Sanders, Nyarsuk, DeBerry, and soon to be Johnson all the time (these guys are all post-1st NCAA appearance under Cronin...so post-rebuild). Then we're forced to rely on these guys for significant roles. Shouldn't be hard to find HS guards and JUCO big bodies to compete and give us more depth (couldn't we have signed KJ Walton?). I couldn't agree more on Bowman. Bring him in. A wing and a JUCO big too are needed imo. Let 13 guys battle it out to fill out the depth chart every year. Then only the strong survive...instead of having borderline D1 players in the regular rotation bc they are literally the last resort for scholarship players. And even if the back of the roster guys end up at the same level as the short bench we see today, at least we aren't always going to be sitting here at this point in the year undermanned if injuries should happen.
Old 03-04-2016, 12:34 PM   #1017
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

If a guy like Quadri Moore wants to be scholarship #13, I'm fine with him staying. I don't want him around in any other scenario bc that would mean a waste on his scholarship and at least 1 open scholarship. Enough of that.

Last edited by jacobkdoyle; 03-04-2016 at 12:42 PM.
Old 03-04-2016, 12:36 PM   #1018
Bearcat_NTS
Epic Member

Even if they won last night the issues still remain. The recruiting has to improve. Mick you are on the clock for the 2017 class...
Old 03-04-2016, 04:37 PM   #1019
UCalum08
Epic Member

UCalum08 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to UCalum08
Quote:
Even if they won last night the issues still remain. The recruiting has to improve. Mick you are on the clock for the 2017 class...
110% agree.
UCalum08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 09:18 PM   #1020
TheLongHaul
Epic Member

TheLongHaul is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Yes, they still could have run more. Houston isn't that much deeper and they ran. Clark was 0-6 but played 38 minutes. Cronin could have easily given Deberry more minutes to keep them fresher. Ellis didn't deserve 27 minutes.

When you are down 12+ with less than 10 minutes to go, you simply don't walk the ball up the court.
TheLongHaul is offline   Reply With Quote