Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

View Poll Results: What will be the outcome?
UC wins by more than 25 7 20.59%
UC wins by 21-25 7 20.59%
UC wins by 16-20 13 38.24%
UC wins by 11-15 4 11.76%
UC wins by 10 or less 3 8.82%
Marshall wins 0 0%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-19-2016, 09:11 AM   #1
#BearcatNation
Epic Member

#BearcatNation is on a distinguished road
Marshall

I think we drop 100 again. Marshall's defense is 288th in the country in efficiency, and they play the 6th fastest pace in the country. That's a recipe for a lot of points. Even OSU put 111 on these guys a few weeks ago.

On the flip-side, though, their offense is very solid. Efficiency is good for 48th in the country, and they're scoring 86.7 (!!) per game. Last weekend they beat Toledo 111-105 in a crazy OT thriller.

Marshall plays tonight at 6pm again West Virginia Wesleyan, who is definitely not a D1 school.

Overall KenPom
UC: 18
Marshall: 141

Prediction: UC wins, 104-70

PS: Anyone going to the game actually wearing an ugly Christmas sweater, like they're asking everyone to? I don't have one, and I'm not sure buying one is worth it lol.....
#BearcatNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 09:24 AM   #2
Union Bearcat

Union Bearcat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by #BearcatNation View Post
I think we drop 100 again. Marshall's defense is 288th in the country in efficiency, and they play the 6th fastest pace in the country. That's a recipe for a lot of points. Even OSU put 111 on these guys a few weeks ago.

On the flip-side, though, their offense is very solid. Efficiency is good for 48th in the country, and they're scoring 86.7 (!!) per game. Last weekend they beat Toledo 111-105 in a crazy OT thriller.

Marshall plays tonight at 6pm again West Virginia Wesleyan, who is definitely not a D1 school.

Overall KenPom
UC: 18
Marshall: 141

Prediction: UC wins, 104-70

PS: Anyone going to the game actually wearing an ugly Christmas sweater, like they're asking everyone to? I don't have one, and I'm not sure buying one is worth it lol.....
Yes on the 100 and no to the sweater. I don't like to have fun like that.
Union Bearcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 09:46 AM   #3
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

WAITE HOYT 2 is on a distinguished road
Not much for predicting point totals. I do want to see us continue to grow offensively. Take the good open looks and play smothering defense using our 9 man rotation.
WAITE HOYT 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 09:51 AM   #4
GarradJ21
Epic Member

GarradJ21 is on a distinguished road
This is the same time around we played ISU last year wasn't it? The fans were there last year, obvious reason. Hopefully this sweater party will bring out more fans than normal. Would love 8k. Would imagine after the January 1st game @home against Tulane we start getting 10K plus in attendance for all conference play.
GarradJ21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 10:31 AM   #5
Jon Rycek
Epic Member

Jon Rycek is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Union Bearcat View Post
Yes on the 100 and no to the sweater. I don't like to have fun like that.
Just wear a sweater will ya!
Jon Rycek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 11:41 AM   #6
UCBearcats
Banned

UCBearcats is on a distinguished road
Looking forward to this game. Thursday nighter to kick off the Holidays against a team that I can point to on a map. The students are obviously on break so that will hurt the atmosphere a little bit but I'm hoping we can draw 10k or better for this game. For those who are in town there's no reason not to come down on Thursday night.

UC - 87

Marshall - 65
UCBearcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 01:27 PM   #7
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

Team is really starting to play well on both ends of the floor.

They have also expanded their offensive game to include some up tempo minutes. Really like how Mick is putting this all together. The team has 9 productive players with Quadri being the 10th.

Keep improving on our perimeter shooting and knock down a few more FT's and we will be a handful for anyone.

Really looks like everyone on the team is bought in as well. Players all look like they are having fun.

Need to keep building on our Mo heading into the conference season. The team has talent is improving playing together. Marshall represents another opportunity to get better.
Old 12-19-2016, 02:12 PM   #8
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAITE HOYT 2 View Post
Team is really starting to play well on both ends of the floor.

They have also expanded their offensive game to include some up tempo minutes. Really like how Mick is putting this all together. The team has 9 productive players with Quadri being the 10th.

Keep improving on our perimeter shooting and knock down a few more FT's and we will be a handful for anyone.

Really looks like everyone on the team is bought in as well. Players all look like they are having fun.

Need to keep building on our Mo heading into the conference season. The team has talent is improving playing together. Marshall represents another opportunity to get better.
I expect the joy ride to continue one more game but I agree we have built confidence in a few players that we needed to. I hope Jenifer continues to push the ball against everyone and Cumberland continues to be aggressive and shoot. Scott has been pretty confident and played well all year. Brooks is looking better and better. Quadri will be Quadri.

I don't expect 80 ppg in conference but I do expect to maintain a pretty good level of efficiency on both ends with all of our options. I hope we can give the starters breathers and don't resort too much to giving 5 guys 30+ minutes. Keep the hot guys in the game. We don't need 30+ minutes of poor shooting from anyone.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 03:14 PM   #9
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Some quick scouting on Marshall:

* They play extremely fast: 6th in Tempo, 2nd in offensive shot clock used (they average just 13 seconds of shot clock per possession

* Offense Way ahead of the defense: This is one of those teams that tries to outscore you, rather than all around beat you. 48th in offensive efficiency. Average 87 ppg, good for 14th in the country. They really do nothing bad on the offensive end except offensive rebound. Score bulk of their points from 3 point line and free throw line

* Defense sucks: As noted, they scored 87ppg, but they also give up 86ppg which is ranked 345 in the country

* One elite 3 point shooter, 1 good one and 1 volume shooter: Austin Loop is a skilled 3 point shooter for Marshall who has taken 73 3point shots and just 5 2point shots . He's A one dimensional player who takes 3's in volume but manages to still shoot 49% from 3, pretty impressive. Stevie Browning is also a 40+% 3 point shooter. And then Jon Elmore rounds out the 3 point shooting threats. HE is shooting just 32% but leads the team in attempts.

Keys for UC:
Guard the 3: So far this year is a complete turnaround from last year on 3 point defense. Need that trend to continue. This team will take between 25-40 3 point attempts. Need to make them shoot well below their season average of 37%

Don't foul: 22% of Marshall's points come from the free throw line. IF the 3 point shot isn't falling, they will try to draw as many shooting fouls as possible. They don't score a whole lot of 2 point shots as it is.

Play uptempo This will be one of the fastest paced teams we play all year. I'd love to see what we could do in a neck break pace. Jenifer and Tre Scott need 25 min each in this game. The only reason I see to slow it up, is if our defense is suffering. And even then, we can slow pace, without playing slow

Last edited by justinhub2003; 12-19-2016 at 03:20 PM.
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 04:11 PM   #10
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
Some quick scouting on Marshall:

* They play extremely fast: 6th in Tempo, 2nd in offensive shot clock used (they average just 13 seconds of shot clock per possession

* Offense Way ahead of the defense: This is one of those teams that tries to outscore you, rather than all around beat you. 48th in offensive efficiency. Average 87 ppg, good for 14th in the country. They really do nothing bad on the offensive end except offensive rebound. Score bulk of their points from 3 point line and free throw line

* Defense sucks: As noted, they scored 87ppg, but they also give up 86ppg which is ranked 345 in the country

* One elite 3 point shooter, 1 good one and 1 volume shooter: Austin Loop is a skilled 3 point shooter for Marshall who has taken 73 3point shots and just 5 2point shots . He's A one dimensional player who takes 3's in volume but manages to still shoot 49% from 3, pretty impressive. Stevie Browning is also a 40+% 3 point shooter. And then Jon Elmore rounds out the 3 point shooting threats. HE is shooting just 32% but leads the team in attempts.

Keys for UC:
Guard the 3: So far this year is a complete turnaround from last year on 3 point defense. Need that trend to continue. This team will take between 25-40 3 point attempts. Need to make them shoot well below their season average of 37%

Don't foul: 22% of Marshall's points come from the free throw line. IF the 3 point shot isn't falling, they will try to draw as many shooting fouls as possible. They don't score a whole lot of 2 point shots as it is.

Play uptempo This will be one of the fastest paced teams we play all year. I'd love to see what we could do in a neck break pace. Jenifer and Tre Scott need 25 min each in this game. The only reason I see to slow it up, is if our defense is suffering. And even then, we can slow pace, without playing slow
Win the war on the boards and take what is given. I wouldn't force tempo but if a good shot presents itself early in the possession we should take it. Score off our defense.