Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-18-2010, 07:01 AM   #1
the_one_32
Recruiting Analyst

the_one_32 will become famous soon enoughthe_one_32 will become famous soon enough
Pregame Fight?

I was sitting in my seat about 45 minutes before gametime when I saw Larry Davis and Lance Stephenson walking back to the lockerroom during shoot arounds. As they entered the lockerroom for about 10 seconds the door stayed open and you could see Lance and Larry in each others faces about to fight. The head trainer had to seperate them and gave them a talking to. About 10 minutes later when they returned Larry was still acting childish and running his mouth but Lance showed maturity and didn't respond. Larry got so out of hand he was grabbed by the shirt by an assistant coach and taken to the lockerrom once again where I'm sure he got chewed out. The animosity between the two was apparent when during lineup announcements Lance Stephenson ignored Larry Davis' attempt for Lance to "hit the rock" and Lance stared Larry down. Anybody have any idea what this stems from?
the_one_32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 07:05 AM   #2
Thegreatone
Epic Member

Thegreatone has a spectacular aura aboutThegreatone has a spectacular aura aboutThegreatone has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_one_32 View Post
I was sitting in my seat about 45 minutes before gametime when I saw Larry Davis and Lance Stephenson walking back to the lockerroom during shoot arounds. As they entered the lockerroom for about 10 seconds the door stayed open and you could see Lance and Larry in each others faces about to fight. The head trainer had to seperate them and gave them a talking to. About 10 minutes later when they returned Larry was still acting childish and running his mouth but Lance showed maturity and didn't respond. Larry got so out of hand he was grabbed by the shirt by an assistant coach and taken to the lockerrom once again where I'm sure he got chewed out. The animosity between the two was apparent when during lineup announcements Lance Stephenson ignored Larry Davis' attempt for Lance to "hit the rock" and Lance stared Larry down. Anybody have any idea what this stems from?
Don't know. I am not too worried though. 15 guys who are 20 years old are going to have little things pop up and they will forget about it tomorrow. No big deal in my opinion because they both played pretty well.
Thegreatone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 08:09 AM   #3
swg
Epic Member

swg is a jewel in the roughswg is a jewel in the roughswg is a jewel in the rough
Not great news, but solid reporting! This stuff cannot happen on a team that wins. One of the driving forces behind winning teams is unity. Cronin has got to have someone take over the leadership position on the team, if they are to succeed next year. Obviously (and unfortunately), Bishop will not be that guy. Lance will probably be the most natural suspect, as Gates just doesn't have it in him.
I'd like to see Cash step up towards the end of next year, and assume that role.
swg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 09:11 AM   #4
Not Guilty
Elite Member

Not Guilty is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by swg View Post
Not great news, but solid reporting! This stuff cannot happen on a team that wins. One of the driving forces behind winning teams is unity. Cronin has got to have someone take over the leadership position on the team, if they are to succeed next year. Obviously (and unfortunately), Bishop will not be that guy. Lance will probably be the most natural suspect, as Gates just doesn't have it in him.
I'd like to see Cash step up towards the end of next year, and assume that role.
Not true at all. This stuff happens all the time in team sports. Not every team is going to have perfect chemistry. You have to be able to move on from it though.
Not Guilty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 09:48 AM   #5
BearcatAlum1
Elite Member

BearcatAlum1 has a spectacular aura aboutBearcatAlum1 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Guilty View Post
Not true at all. This stuff happens all the time in team sports. Not every team is going to have perfect chemistry. You have to be able to move on from it though.
Agreed.

This is twice that Lance has had "altercations" with teammates. Rumors of Bishop v. Lance and Davis v. Lance have one common denominator: Lance.

However, I'm of the belief that Davis and Bishop have horrible attitudes and are selfish. I think there is some jealousy going on, but do not have facts to support it.

Bottom line: "Buy in" or get gone!
BearcatAlum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 09:58 AM   #6
TheShoeFits

TheShoeFits will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Just watched "First and 10" on ESPN2 yesterday. I can't recall who they were talking to. It was either Tom Izzo or Mateen Cleaves.

Anyway, they were telling a story about how Cleaves and Mo Peterson had each other by the throat.

This stuff happens all the time with every D1 school. Even on my high school basketball team. We had two of our better players constanly fighting. It never effected the way they played with each other or the way The team performed.

No big deal.

Last edited by TheShoeFits; 03-18-2010 at 10:04 AM.
TheShoeFits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 10:58 AM   #7
ready2go
Elite Member

ready2go is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShoeFits View Post
Just watched "First and 10" on ESPN2 yesterday. I can't recall who they were talking to. It was either Tom Izzo or Mateen Cleaves.

Anyway, they were telling a story about how Cleaves and Mo Peterson had each other by the throat.

This stuff happens all the time with every D1 school. Even on my high school basketball team. We had two of our better players constanly fighting. It never effected the way they played with each other or the way The team performed.

No big deal.
Agree!

A fairly dominant small college northeast had fights every week in practice. That program has 10 national titles.

Its about competing and having a passion for the game. Do you blame those guys for being jealous? IMO if they weren't, then they don't care about the game anymore.
ready2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 11:40 AM   #8
Thegreatone
Epic Member

Thegreatone has a spectacular aura aboutThegreatone has a spectacular aura aboutThegreatone has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by ready2go View Post
Agree!

A fairly dominant small college northeast had fights every week in practice. That program has 10 national titles.

Its about competing and having a passion for the game. Do you blame those guys for being jealous? IMO if they weren't, then they don't care about the game anymore.
Wooster?
Thegreatone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 11:48 AM   #9
swg
Epic Member

swg is a jewel in the roughswg is a jewel in the roughswg is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
In practice, on a football field...sure. Right before a tourney game? Not on my team it doesn't. God help someone if I were coaching and I found out about it.
Why? Because during the game, I don't want fractured play (ie...I'm not passing to him).
swg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 12:17 PM   #10
ready2go
Elite Member

ready2go is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by swg View Post
In practice, on a football field...sure. Right before a tourney game? Not on my team it doesn't. God help someone if I were coaching and I found out about it.
Why? Because during the game, I don't want fractured play (ie...I'm not passing to him).
I don't necessarily agree that fighting is all that bad for a team. Competiton breeds success.

I will say though that it comes down to the program on how to handle it. If Mick knew about it, he sure didn't address it. At one point in the game Larry Davis shot a 3 from the side. He hit the other side of the rim and an offensive rebound was made. Immediatly that ball was rebounding, Larry demanded the ball right back. And guess what he shot it again from the same spot within 5 seconds. The commentators said Mick was screaming at Larry for the bad shot selection.

To me that shows the situation was not dealt with and Larry was acting childish. If Lance can do it, why can't I? is how I see it for Larry.
ready2go is offline   Reply With Quote