Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-15-2013, 09:24 PM   #11
JumpinJack5
Epic Member

JumpinJack5 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCalum08 View Post
I wish most of our players would skip deveroes and go to NBA style summer camps. Does anyone know if coaches/schools are allowed to fund or help aide their players on going? Or is that something the kids have to do on their own or even get invited to attend.
I get what you are saying, but it is neat to see the new players up front early, so it would be nice if they could do both.
JumpinJack5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 05:45 AM   #12
bearcat jeff
Hoops Moderator

bearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the rough
I would like to see them at skill camps. Fundamentals, fundamentals, fundamentals.
bearcat jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 06:41 AM   #13
UCalum08
Epic Member

UCalum08 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to UCalum08
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcat jeff View Post
I would like to see them at skill camps. Fundamentals, fundamentals, fundamentals.
Amen brother. I really hope some of these new guards have some speed and quickness with getting to the hoop, we need some shot creators!!
UCalum08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:29 AM   #14
kg5

kg5 is on a distinguished road
I believe coaches are allowed to have a total of two hours hands on with their players a week, during the summer
kg5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:33 AM   #15
L-T
Epic Member

L-T is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpinJack5 View Post
Yup, Deonta, Dion, SK, and co. have never gotten better. That's why we've only made the tourney 3 straight years, including a sweet 16. Awful, just awful!!!
Deonta was a big contributor as a Freshman, 1st team all Big East as a Soph., 2nd team all Big East as a Jr., and nothing as a senior. That is not improvement. In general, everyone improves over time from all the practicing. I think we're speaking of substantial improvement. I wouldn't say SK has improved leaps and bounds. I felt his shooting went backwards this year. His ball handling hasn't gotten any better. Defense has improved a little. Dixon was inconsistent when he got here, and he was inconsistent when he left. Did he improve? Yes, but not by leaps and bounds. In seven years, you picked three names and even those three are debatable. The original premise was correct. "In general", we haven't seen players making significant improvements in their time playing for Mick. He hasn't put anyone in the NBA except for the guy that was "Born Ready" for the NBA before he even played his one year for Mick.
L-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:45 AM   #16
mplebanon
Elite Member

mplebanon is on a distinguished road
Years ago, there used to be a big man basketball camp run by Pete Newell. I believe Kenyon went to it. It supposedly really advanced a lot of big men in their skills and post moves.

I think Newell died and the camp ended early 2000's, but that's off the top of my head.

I wish there was another camp like it our big men could attend.
mplebanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:59 AM   #17
bearcat jeff
Hoops Moderator

bearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by L-T View Post
Deonta was a big contributor as a Freshman, 1st team all Big East as a Soph., 2nd team all Big East as a Jr., and nothing as a senior. That is not improvement. In general, everyone improves over time from all the practicing. I think we're speaking of substantial improvement. I wouldn't say SK has improved leaps and bounds. I felt his shooting went backwards this year. His ball handling hasn't gotten any better. Defense has improved a little. Dixon was inconsistent when he got here, and he was inconsistent when he left. Did he improve? Yes, but not by leaps and bounds. In seven years, you picked three names and even those three are debatable. The original premise was correct. "In general", we haven't seen players making significant improvements in their time playing for Mick. He hasn't put anyone in the NBA except for the guy that was "Born Ready" for the NBA before he even played his one year for Mick.
SK and Vaughn shot more in their last seasons of play and were heavily leaned on to score. This means tougher shots and more of them. Stats wise Vaughn had one really good year and the other 3 were comparable.
bearcat jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 12:52 PM   #18
L-T
Epic Member

L-T is on a distinguished road
Many have pinned big hopes on Strickland and Caupain, yet neither is even rated after supposedly being really good as seniors. Caupain has ridiculous numbers, yet I've never been able to find much about him on the internet and he didn't even get rated by Rivals. That has to be concerning. Personally, I view Strickland as far more critical than Caupain to our success, but as I've said many times, I expect very little from either one next year. If it's like most of Mick's recruits, they'll become decent by their junior year. But, one of the recruits is obviously a 5-star, so we desparately need him producing from day one and he should be expected to be good far sooner than his junior year.
L-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 12:58 PM   #19
Bearcat_NTS
Epic Member

Bearcat_NTS will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Many have pinned big hopes on Strickland and Caupain, yet neither is even rated after supposedly being really good as seniors. Caupain has ridiculous numbers, yet I've never been able to find much about him on the internet and he didn't even get rated by Rivals. That has to be concerning. Personally, I view Strickland as far more critical than Caupain to our success, but as I've said many times, I expect very little from either one next year. If it's like most of Mick's recruits, they'll become decent by their junior year. But, one of the recruits is obviously a 5-star, so we desparately need him producing from day one and he should be expected to be good far sooner than his junior year.
Freshman tend to be tough to guage unless they are top 10 recruits. I think we will definitely need 1 of the 5 guards (Guyn, JDIII, Morman, Johnson and Caupain) to have a very good year, averaging 10-12 points a game. I would like to think Lawrence will be the most ready to contribute in the front court but either him or Strickland needs to have a good year as well.
Bearcat_NTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 02:18 PM   #20
JumpinJack5
Epic Member

JumpinJack5 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Nobody had SK, Trey Burke, etc. very high, either. One does not have to be a top 10 recruit to contribute right away. On the other hand, you can usually only find one or two diamonds in the rough a year, so if either Caupain or Strickland can be that guy, that would really help with the scoring problem.
JumpinJack5 is offline   Reply With Quote