Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2014, 10:54 AM   #21
TheLivingLegend
Epic Member

TheLivingLegend will become famous soon enoughTheLivingLegend will become famous soon enough
The T was a joke... One of the worst I have seen. Rubles actually handled the situation pretty well imo. I dont think many would have walked away from the original situation.

Being told you can run the baseline then having the other offical call it was a joke...

Id like to see Troys step back inbounds call again, possible joke.

The 9 minute review ON sk... even tho Sk was getting hacked then russ flopped was a joke.

The and 1 sk was a joke...
Old 01-31-2014, 11:14 AM   #22
Not Guilty
Elite Member

Not Guilty is on a distinguished road
There was a play mid way through the second half where we got a run out and got the ball to Jackson under the hoop. He pump faked and got his man in the air. Clear contact that should have been called. He still made the basket, but really bad no call.

Immediately following that play, Louisville quickly inbounds the ball and gets it up court for what looks like its going to be a layup, only JJ hustles back and is about to go for the block. Harrell (I believe) instead pump fakes, but CLEARLY drags his pivot foot. No travel called.

Just a brutal officiating sequence.
Not Guilty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 11:23 AM   #23
eric3287

eric3287 is on a distinguished road
The ref that called Caupain out of bounds blatantly blew that call. I could tell watching it live that he had 2 feet in bounds when he caught the ball. The ref wasn't even looking at his feet, just saw him catch it and assumed he was out of bounds still. I thought that was going to end up costing them.
eric3287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 11:33 AM   #24
TheLivingLegend
Epic Member

TheLivingLegend will become famous soon enoughTheLivingLegend will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3287 View Post
The ref that called Caupain out of bounds blatantly blew that call. I could tell watching it live that he had 2 feet in bounds when he caught the ball. The ref wasn't even looking at his feet, just saw him catch it and assumed he was out of bounds still. I thought that was going to end up costing them.
At the time I thought it was for sure going to cost them... Looking at it live I thought he got back in bounds but wasnt sure... Was surprised they didnt offer up a replay.
Old 01-31-2014, 12:40 PM   #25
#BearcatNation
Epic Member

#BearcatNation is on a distinguished road
Just found a video on YouTube of the Rubles T. I seriously don't see it at all, unless it was just before the clip starts. Watch for yourself, around the 1:38 mark:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Voxq2Bn1qpE
#BearcatNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 12:51 PM   #26
TheLivingLegend
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by #BearcatNation View Post
Just found a video on YouTube of the Rubles T. I seriously don't see it at all, unless it was just before the clip starts. Watch for yourself, around the 1:38 mark:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Voxq2Bn1qpE
That is a joke...
Old 01-31-2014, 02:25 PM   #27
david aka the TYZ
Epic Member

david aka the TYZ will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcat jeff View Post
The T was absolutely horrible. I had to step out for a few minutes and on the radio Chuck and Dan mentioned UL (Harrell) being warned for delaying the game by holding the ball or knocking it away and then Harrell pulled what he did with Rubles and Rubles gets T'd. Not to mention He hung on the rim twice. The T didn't get called till after Pitino spoke to the refs. Even worse to me was the review of SK and the so called "elbow" to Russ Smith two plays after the fact. Again, it took place after Pitino spoke to the refs.
The T was a horrible call. Honestly, though, after they reviewed that flop by Smith that Pitino called for I think the refs were done with Pitino. From that point on they started calling fouls left and right on Louisville and the stoppage in play killed their momentum.

We're all homers when it comes to officiating, but looking at it objectively, overall I thought the refs were fairly even. They were letting them play some, which I like in a big game like that and that favors us as much as it did them. It favored them in their pressure but can favor us in getting blocks and defending down low. The T was a bad call, I even thought the offensive foul on Rubles was a bad call that led to the T, probably a 50-50 call at best, you just don't see charges often on a ball-handler in a trap. I think the refs were guilty of getting into the emotion of the crowd and the momentum, which is part of home field advantage. I do firmly believe that after watching Pitino whine about an earlier call and having to stop game and watch an obvious flop by Smith changed the refs attitude towards listening to what Pitino was chirping at them. Also thought the refs showed great restraint in not T'ing Mick up or even tossing him after his eruption, albeit a justified eruption.
Old 01-31-2014, 02:28 PM   #28
david aka the TYZ
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcat22 View Post
Maybe Harrell and Pitino will be particular targets of interest for the crowd when L'ville comes to 5/3. Last time they were all over behanan.
Good thought, we need to find a way to get the students to razz him all game. And maybe yell "Flop, flop, flop" at Russ all game.

Last edited by david aka the TYZ; 01-31-2014 at 02:37 PM.
david aka the TYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 02:34 PM   #29
david aka the TYZ
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLivingLegend View Post
The T was a joke... One of the worst I have seen. Rubles actually handled the situation pretty well imo. I dont think many would have walked away from the original situation.

Being told you can run the baseline then having the other offical call it was a joke...

Id like to see Troys step back inbounds call again, possible joke.

The 9 minute review ON sk... even tho Sk was getting hacked then russ flopped was a joke.

The and 1 sk was a joke...
The review is on Pitino. The refs have to go look at it if a coach asks them to. Part of the rules. I thought it was a little late considering two plays or so had been run, but at the same time they reviewed our three a couple plays after the fact and we got an extra point. I said in an earlier reply and I'll say it again, I think that long review is what killed Louisville's momentum and gave us time to regroup. Plus I think it changed how the refs called the game after that. That stupid review might have been the difference for us.
Old 01-31-2014, 03:28 PM   #30
JasonS
Football Moderator

JasonS has a spectacular aura aboutJasonS has a spectacular aura aboutJasonS has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by david aka the TYZ View Post
The review is on Pitino. The refs have to go look at it if a coach asks them to. Part of the rules. I thought it was a little late considering two plays or so had been run, but at the same time they reviewed our three a couple plays after the fact and we got an extra point. I said in an earlier reply and I'll say it again, I think that long review is what killed Louisville's momentum and gave us time to regroup. Plus I think it changed how the refs called the game after that. That stupid review might have been the difference for us.
The review on SK's three was not called for by UC. If you watch the play, you will see the ref signal to someone at the scorers table to mark that play down so they can check it at the next dead ball. This happens regularly in games when trying to determine if it is a 2 or 3. They only stop the game if there is a foul and they want to determine 2 or 3 foul shots. So, this is not the same as the Pitino issue. That said, I do agree that it hurt UL more than UC. It gave us an opportunity to slow everything down and regain our composure.
JasonS is offline   Reply With Quote