Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 03-14-2014, 07:11 AM   #121
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

WAITE HOYT 2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcat jeff View Post
Jermaine is suffering a severe lack of confidence and I see his frustration every time he plays. If he could get a couple shots to fall he'd be fine and he needs to start taking guys guarding him off the dribble. It's a shame because he was starting to look comfortable right before he got hurt. The injury has definitely set him back.
Jeff, while I agree he looks frustrated offensively his defense and rebounding have improved greatly. He hits the offensive glass and he is much more of a factor defensively then he was early in the year. The offense will come but probably not this year.
WAITE HOYT 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 07:15 AM   #122
bearcat jeff
Hoops Moderator

bearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAITE HOYT 2 View Post
Jeff, while I agree he looks frustrated offensively his defense and rebounding have improved greatly. He hits the offensive glass and he is much more of a factor defensively then he was early in the year. The offense will come but probably not this year.
Don't know why but I sense there is going to be a game he drops 8-10 and it will be the difference for this team in a big game. Hope I'm right.
bearcat jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 07:24 AM   #123
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

WAITE HOYT 2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcat jeff View Post
Don't know why but I sense there is going to be a game he drops 8-10 and it will be the difference for this team in a big game. Hope I'm right.
I hope your right as well
WAITE HOYT 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 08:21 AM   #124
Ryno99
Elite Member

Ryno99 is on a distinguished road
Ok so here's my Rubles theory. He had his big scoring game on senior night and now he's overconfident, trying to do too much. Titus plays best when he plays tough defense, crashes the boards on both ends and let's the offensive game come to him, not when he's forcing it or trying to create off the dribble. It kind of reminds me of last year, he hit one 3 early and thought he was then a 3 point shooter and what missed his next what felt like 500 in a row.

Hopefully this game makes him realize he needs to concentrate on D and the boards and scoop up some easy put back buckets for his points.

I think this down game gives Mick ammo to motivate the team going forward. Here's to hoping they come out tonight and show everyone that SK deserved to be POY in the AAC and win big agains UCONN.
Ryno99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 03:02 PM   #125
david aka the TYZ
Epic Member

david aka the TYZ will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levettation View Post
Lot of issues with UC's play, I don't want to over-analyze tonight, as I'm happy with the win. But, I am curious (not complaining about the refs) about the ruling of the flagrant on Rubles versus the foul on Shaq Thomas early in the 2nd half.

Shaq was about to throw down an alley-oop, the lone defender turned from the passer and pushed Shaq in the torso causing him to hit the deck pretty hard. There was no effort to play the ball, and in reality, Shaq was in a dangerous position being in the air as compared to McBride trying to jump off the ground. I don't think the flagrant call on Rubles was unreasonable, however, if that is a flagrant by rule than I would like to know how the other play is not.

Go Cats!

P.S. Not rooting for or anyone in the night cap. Should be a "fun/competitive" game whoever it is we play.
I forgot about the foul on Shaq. Honestly if Shaq had any sort of strength that would have been a dunk and a no call. The guy just put his hand out and that was enough to knock him off balance and backwards. Was it a foul? Yes. Would it have been called if Shaq had cleanly dunked the ball? 90% of the time, no.

As far as Rubles was concerned, I thought it shouldn't have been flagrant because he did go for the ball (both times). What hurt his case was he got tangled up and still tried to deny the shot which ended up flipping him to the ground. I'm from the school of thought that if a player is trying to dunk on you then you keep him from doing so. The rules of basketball don't think that way. The definition of flagrant one is going overboard with the contact and not making a play for the ball. I don't think you could argue he didn't make a play for the ball. He wasn't trying to throw him to the ground. Their arms got caught up. The problem with the rules of basketball is it favors the offensive player too much. If their arms got caught up then why should the offensive player still be allowed to try and dunk the ball? At that point the only thing that could happen was what happened. You are either going to pick the guy up with you and carry him like superman or be thrown to the ground when you leave your feet. Again, the rules favor the offensive player and thus a flagrant was assessed. Rubles after getting tangled up probably shouldn't have kept fighting for the ball, but what ensued with the player being flipped in the air was completely out of his control. Had this happened with anyone under 300 pounds with muscle the player doesn't get off his feet and wouldn't get flipped to the ground. I still think it should have just been a regular foul but it's not the worst call I've ever seen and Rubles was being a little over-aggressive.
Old 03-14-2014, 03:09 PM   #126
IDC

IDC is on a distinguished road
No problem with the Rubles flagrant. He grabbed him with his left hand (not a bball play) then went for the ball
IDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 03:12 PM   #127
TheLongHaul
Epic Member

TheLongHaul is on a distinguished road
Rubles was 100% flagrant, it shouldn't even have required a review it was so obvious. You aren't allowed to tackle players in basketball.
TheLongHaul is offline   Reply With Quote