Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 08-10-2018, 02:18 PM   #121
GarradJ21
Epic Member

GarradJ21 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
Generally most freshman only learn one position any way.

But I think a lineup of Logan, Cumberland,Moore/Williams, Fredericks & Scott would be pretty good.
I like that lineup, but we really can't lose sight of Cane. I really wish we would just run with him close to 30 a game mixing between the 1 and 2 and deal with some of his turnovers. He can really create and score.

I don't get what Jennifer does for us anymore. I was honestly hoping he would have been a Grad Transfer somewhere this year and I know that's mean to say. I like Jennifer, he's a tough player, but if Cane's not running point Id rather see Logan in there.

I think we have had those Bearcat players where we don't want to let go (Gary, SK, Justin Jackson, etc.) and others we are just ready to see move on (Shaq Thomas, Ellis, Justin Jennifer, etc.)

Last edited by GarradJ21; 08-10-2018 at 02:55 PM.
GarradJ21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 08:43 PM   #122
Patrick Bateman
Epic Member

Patrick Bateman is on a distinguished road
Halfway through the offseason and who has improved? Keith, Elle, Tre? Very concerned about guard play, Cane has been turning the ball over and has taken poor shots and Jenifer a non factor on offense. Neither has shown anything significant this preseason. Hopefully Logan can push some of the vets. And what is going on with Brooks, seems to have been going backwards, Elle may start just by principal. UC needs Cumberland to be all league and at least 2 other guys honorable mention out of Tre, Fredericks, Cane, Keith, all are solid but no locks.

Last edited by Patrick Bateman; 08-10-2018 at 08:53 PM.
Patrick Bateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 08:49 PM   #123
Patrick Bateman
Epic Member

Patrick Bateman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
Lol you can shoot poorly and still be executing on offense.

Look man if you want to be ho hum miserable Bearcat fan all season then that’s your choice. But that’s terrible way to live. Seriously have no idea why people are so excited about talking shit about a team they supposedly like
The epitome of the Cronin era summed up in a sentence. But hey Cronin always has great defense, offense is for the kids and fans.
Old 08-10-2018, 09:46 PM   #124
cincycpaw
Epic Member

cincycpaw will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
Halfway through the offseason and who has improved? Keith, Elle, Tre? Very concerned about guard play, Cane has been turning the ball over and has taken poor shots and Jenifer a non factor on offense. Neither has shown anything significant this preseason. Hopefully Logan can push some of the vets. And what is going on with Brooks, seems to have been going backwards, Elle may start just by principal. UC needs Cumberland to be all league and at least 2 other guys honorable mention out of Tre, Fredericks, Cane, Keith, all are solid but no locks.
I haven’t watched any so I have no idea. From the stats it appears Ellie is ready for more minutes for sure. I have no worries about Broome or Cumberland...and really even tre Scott. Williams appears to have progressed some. I’m concerned about brooks but not more than I thought. After last season I figured he was nothing more than 5 fouls. I’m not concerned about JJ cause he is who is is...and I wouldn’t play him much.

I’m excited about Johnson and Fredericks and think both (especially Fredericks) will contribute this season. Really need moore to find his shot and Williams to get to the rim.

Won’t be as good as the last 2 years but these kids seem to be working. I do have concerns about Cronin using their strengths because he failed the last 2 years.
cincycpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 08:33 AM   #125
firehawkv

firehawkv is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
Keith looks like the most improved. His stroke looked a lot better and his was hitting long jumpers. 35% from three for him is not unrealistic.

Eliie's FT shooting is vastly improved. He also looked good on the court, though he needs a better inside scoring game.

Fredericks looked like the real thing. A tough player who can rebound and score downlow.

According to this Rothstein tweet: "The wildcard for Cincinnati in 18-19 is Mamoudou Diarra. All of 6-10 and 220. In drills, he looks like Jakarr Sampson. In games? TBD." Diarra may also be improved, but he wasn't on the Canada trip (Visa issues).

I'm expecting a starting lineup of Cumberland, Williams, Fredericks, Scott, Eliel based on Canada.

Guard play and Brooks seem to be the two likely dissapointments. If Diarra is the real thing, Brooks can just sit on the bench. Logan will get some minutes. I expect Cumberland will be playing quite a bit of PG.
firehawkv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 09:17 AM   #126
cincycpaw
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawkv View Post
Keith looks like the most improved. His stroke looked a lot better and his was hitting long jumpers. 35% from three for him is not unrealistic.

Eliie's FT shooting is vastly improved. He also looked good on the court, though he needs a better inside scoring game.

Fredericks looked like the real thing. A tough player who can rebound and score downlow.

According to this Rothstein tweet: "The wildcard for Cincinnati in 18-19 is Mamoudou Diarra. All of 6-10 and 220. In drills, he looks like Jakarr Sampson. In games? TBD." Diarra may also be improved, but he wasn't on the Canada trip (Visa issues).

I'm expecting a starting lineup of Cumberland, Williams, Fredericks, Scott, Eliel based on Canada.

Guard play and Brooks seem to be the two likely dissapointments. If Diarra is the real thing, Brooks can just sit on the bench. Logan will get some minutes. I expect Cumberland will be playing quite a bit of PG.

You seriously expect neither senior guard to start?

I want Broome, Cumberland, Fredericks, Scott and Ellie to start when big and sub Williams/moore/ in for Ellie for small ball.

What we will get is Jenifer and brooks starting for some unknown reason and a coach that won’t adjust.
Old 08-11-2018, 09:58 AM   #127
firehawkv

firehawkv is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincycpaw View Post
You seriously expect neither senior guard to start?

I want Broome, Cumberland, Fredericks, Scott and Ellie to start when big and sub Williams/moore/ in for Ellie for small ball.

What we will get is Jenifer and brooks starting for some unknown reason and a coach that won’t adjust.
It wouldn't surprise me if Broome starts and I expect him to get plenty of minutes. But, I think based on the end of last year and the one game we could actually watch of the Canada trip, Cronin sees Broome as a SG more then a PG. Most of the time when Broome is in the game, someone else is running point. That means Broome is competing for the starting spot against Williams/Fredericks and they each have a big height advantage over him and both looked good in the little I've seen them play. I see Cumberland as our starting PG.

I think the senior advantage generally comes from being a veteran and knowledgeable. Cronin wants guys on the court who can teach others as the game goes along and help players be in the right position. Broome/Brooks/Jenifer don't fit the mold. Broome and Brooks are too error prone and lost too often to be teaching others. Jenifer just isn't good enough. I expect Cumberland and Scott to be our veteran leaders and the seniors and Brooks not to be guaranteed playing time because of their knowledge of the game.

The Cumberland, Williams, Fredericks, Scott, Ellie seems like the type of lineup Cronin will love. Defensively they can switch anything and anyone can guard any position at a reasonably high level. They are also all able to go in get rebounds. It's the lineup that started vs McGill and Cumberland finished the first quarter with 4 assist.
firehawkv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 10:31 AM   #128
david aka the TYZ
Epic Member

david aka the TYZ will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawkv View Post
It wouldn't surprise me if Broome starts and I expect him to get plenty of minutes. But, I think based on the end of last year and the one game we could actually watch of the Canada trip, Cronin sees Broome as a SG more then a PG. Most of the time when Broome is in the game, someone else is running point. That means Broome is competing for the starting spot against Williams/Fredericks and they each have a big height advantage over him and both looked good in the little I've seen them play. I see Cumberland as our starting PG.

I think the senior advantage generally comes from being a veteran and knowledgeable. Cronin wants guys on the court who can teach others as the game goes along and help players be in the right position. Broome/Brooks/Jenifer don't fit the mold. Broome and Brooks are too error prone and lost too often to be teaching others. Jenifer just isn't good enough. I expect Cumberland and Scott to be our veteran leaders and the seniors and Brooks not to be guaranteed playing time because of their knowledge of the game.

The Cumberland, Williams, Fredericks, Scott, Ellie seems like the type of lineup Cronin will love. Defensively they can switch anything and anyone can guard any position at a reasonably high level. They are also all able to go in get rebounds. It's the lineup that started vs McGill and Cumberland finished the first quarter with 4 assist.
Nothing against any points you are making, but this word "expect" you keep throwing around. You do know who our coach is right? Jennifer will start for no other reason than to bring the ball up the court and start our around the perimeter passing game. Cronin doesn't like turnovers and I can't see him putting the ball in anyone else's hands but Jennifer. Unless Logan Johnson shows he can walk the ball up the floor under pressure without turning it over on top of playing stellar defense. I mean he didn't trust Broome to bring the ball up last year, turning to Evans instead. Knowing our coach I see no other scenario playing out to start games and second halfs. Sure we'll see Cumberland run some point here and there and possibly williams, but no way they start there. Cronin is set in his philosophy and nothing will ever change that.

Last edited by david aka the TYZ; 08-11-2018 at 10:34 AM.
david aka the TYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 01:26 PM   #129
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

WAITE HOYT 2 is on a distinguished road
Cronin will play the guys he thinks give him the best chance to win.
WAITE HOYT 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 04:04 PM   #130
cincycpaw
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAITE HOYT 2 View Post
Cronin will play the guys he thinks give him the best chance to win.
And they will take it one game at a time and if at first they don’t succeed, they will try try again.