Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 11-30-2015, 09:22 AM   #121
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucswais View Post
Evans has also shown the ability to hit the corner 3, which is essential vs 1-3-1. I suspect Troy and Cobb/KJ on top with Evans/Shaq running the baseline and attacking corner/short corner. I think where X can get you on their zone is deflections and live ball turnovers. Getting the ball inside is great, but entry passes are going to be very dangerous. We have to limit that or our good half court defense gets wasted and they are good in transition.
I was watching UD trying to throw the ball over the top defender and then over the two side defenders. They were lobbing it over which is a slow pass which allows the D to catch up. Cobb and KJ probably won't be effective up top because of their height but they can run base line and sit in the corner. I think they can all make the corner shot ok.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 09:25 AM   #122
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Any on here follow the /Collegebasketball on reddit?

Im one of the voters for there top 25 poll (kinda cool to have the community vote its own top 25).

Here is my poll for this week; Gotta say this was the hardest I've done yet.
http://cbbpoll.com/ballot/1875

Also here is the final poll as voted on by the poll members and provisional ballots: https://www.reddit.com/r/CollegeBask...r_poll_week_4/
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 09:31 AM   #123
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
Any on here follow the /Collegebasketball on reddit?

Im one of the voters for there top 25 poll (kinda cool to have the community vote its own top 25).

Here is my poll for this week; Gotta say this was the hardest I've done yet.
http://cbbpoll.com/ballot/1875

Also here is the final poll as voted on by the poll members and provisional ballots: https://www.reddit.com/r/CollegeBask...r_poll_week_4/

I'm thinking we move up to around 18th or so
Old 11-30-2015, 09:35 AM   #124
L-T
Epic Member

L-T is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
If they play the 1-3-1 against us I wonder if we see a little more of a combination up top of Troy and a guy like Evans who can pass over defenders easier.
WH, I've coached a lot of basketball in my life, but the 1-3-1 is a defense that I really never had anybody run against me. I've never really given much thought on the best way to beat it. It should be vulnerable on the baseline and in the corners for sure, but in general the same principles apply to beating any zone, quick ball movement, overloading certain areas of the zone with more players than they can defend, and finding the open players on the weak side of the zone, penetrating and drawing the zone to the ball handler and then finding the open man. It's looked at as somewhat of a gimmick defense, which is why you don't see it very often. When it gets sprung on someone, it seems to confuse teams for a while. The only guy I've seen use it as a primary defense is John Beilein when he was at Richmond and West Virginia. I'm not sure if he still uses it at Michigan or not, but it was very good for him at WVU.

I don't think I answered your question, and that's simply because I honestly have never given much thought on how to beat it. Troy, Evans, Shaq, and Justin....lol....I'd say try them all and see what works.
L-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 09:42 AM   #125
justinhub2003
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
I'm thinking we move up to around 18th or so
I thought to initially. then I went through the AP POLL and saw how many teams ahead of UC lost:

Indiana 2x
Uconn 2x
California X2
Notre Dame X2
Wichita State X3
LSU X2
Vandy X1 (to a good team tho)
Miami X1
Zona X 1
Gonxzaga X1
Old 12-01-2015, 12:40 AM   #126
Bearcat_NTS
Epic Member

Bearcat_NTS will become famous soon enough
Best NBA prospect, Ben Simmona playing with 3 other top 50 prospects and another NBA caliber guy Quarterman can't do better than 3-3? Johny Jones (ironically coached at Memphis too) makes Josh Pastner look like John Wooden.
Bearcat_NTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 05:59 AM   #127
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by L-T View Post
WH, I've coached a lot of basketball in my life, but the 1-3-1 is a defense that I really never had anybody run against me. I've never really given much thought on the best way to beat it. It should be vulnerable on the baseline and in the corners for sure, but in general the same principles apply to beating any zone, quick ball movement, overloading certain areas of the zone with more players than they can defend, and finding the open players on the weak side of the zone, penetrating and drawing the zone to the ball handler and then finding the open man. It's looked at as somewhat of a gimmick defense, which is why you don't see it very often. When it gets sprung on someone, it seems to confuse teams for a while. The only guy I've seen use it as a primary defense is John Beilein when he was at Richmond and West Virginia. I'm not sure if he still uses it at Michigan or not, but it was very good for him at WVU.

I don't think I answered your question, and that's simply because I honestly have never given much thought on how to beat it. Troy, Evans, Shaq, and Justin....lol....I'd say try them all and see what works.
I'm not a coach so I don't know either L-T. However, watching UD try to pass over the top with lobs was clearly what X was looking for. Crisp passes are hard to accomplish if they have length. You need your best passers with length at the top with a guy like Clark in the middle. The smaller shooters can hide in the corners.

I could be wrong
Old 12-01-2015, 07:04 AM   #128
JasonS
Football Moderator

JasonS has a spectacular aura aboutJasonS has a spectacular aura aboutJasonS has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by L-T View Post

Hi-Low action with the bigs is important too. Forces the middle of the zone to pick who to guard and ultimately collapse on the middle. If you can get action with a guard rotating to the corner, a big with the ball at the free throw line and another on the block, you can create a mini 3 on 2 scenario. Have to be cognizant of the guard at the top of the zone collapsing down. Key is quick, good decision making by the big at the free throw line. Have to be willing to shoot from 15 feet too.
JasonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 07:24 AM   #129
Bulldog01
Banned

Bulldog01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonS View Post
Hi-Low action with the bigs is important too. Forces the middle of the zone to pick who to guard and ultimately collapse on the middle. If you can get action with a guard rotating to the corner, a big with the ball at the free throw line and another on the block, you can create a mini 3 on 2 scenario. Have to be cognizant of the guard at the top of the zone collapsing down. Key is quick, good decision making by the big at the free throw line. Have to be willing to shoot from 15 feet too.
Sounds like Moore role. Too bad he isn't fully developed yet.
Bulldog01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 08:29 PM   #130
justinhub2003
Epic Member

Anyone watching the Neb vs Miami game on ESPNU?

Nebraska is at least hanging with Miami. I'd love for them to win to boost our win against Nebraska