Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-07-2018, 10:02 AM   #111
cincycpaw
Epic Member

cincycpaw will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
What is so bad about the sub patterns? You have to rest guys and you have to get bench guys involved in the game if you want them to do anything.

Unless you are just talking about Broome not starting.

Broome not starting is one.

We have 5 main guys right? Clark, Evans, Cumberland, Washington, Broome. You have to have 2 of them on the court at all times (except extreme cases of blowouts, foul trouble, etc). During some stretches Mick has only had 1 of them on the court. I've just not been a fan of his lineups throughout the game most times.

I saw a change when Mick had to go with a small lineup against Tulsa with success. And also in the WSU game on the road. But throughout the year it's not been great, in my opinion.

It's frustrating when you see and know that the team is about to lose momentum and 6-10 points.
cincycpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 10:53 AM   #112
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincycpaw View Post

We have 5 main guys right? Clark, Evans, Cumberland, Washington, Broome. You have to have 2 of them on the court at all times (except extreme cases of blowouts, foul trouble, etc). During some stretches Mick has only had 1 of them on the court. I've just not been a fan of his lineups throughout the game most times.

I saw a change when Mick had to go with a small lineup against Tulsa with success. And also in the WSU game on the road. But throughout the year it's not been great, in my opinion.

It's frustrating when you see and know that the team is about to lose momentum and 6-10 points.
I don't recall many/any close(r) games with 4 out of Evans, Clark, Washington, Cumberland, and Broome on the bench without foul trouble. So you'll have to let me know which game(s) you are referencing.

In the 1st half, you gotta get some guys loose and in the game if you intend to use them down the stretch at all for any reason. It's a 40 minute game. Those guys getting some run in the 1st half is just how it goes. Then in the 2nd half, it's usually pretty obvious when we are subbing for offense/defense. I guess I just don't really know what else the rotations are supposed to look like. We were playing with the lead pretty much all season. In games that we weren't, our main guys got pretty heavy usage. Not saying it's perfect, I've had my share of gripes about Washington+Broome minutes. But overall I feel like this is just one of those fan group-think things. Someone said it. It rings as buzzwordy to some for some reason. Then it gets blown way out of proportion bc it has become a talking point. Like the idea that Evans can't drive and create shots. I just don't really see it. We have a deep team. A lot of guys get on the floor. In the big moments though, it's pretty clear how we are going about it. Idk.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 11:11 AM   #113
cincycpaw
Epic Member

I shoulda have taken better notes.

But thanks for throwing it out there that I’m just spouting what others said as a follower.

I actually witnessed most of the games this season.
Old 03-07-2018, 11:22 AM   #114
2Sense

2Sense is on a distinguished road
There are times even during close or potentially close games when Clark, Washington, and Cumberland are all out at the same time. However, if you look at game situations I think these are more common in first half and usually timed around the 12 or 8 minute tv timeout. one strategy would be to stagger everyone so there are always 3-4 starters in the game. another strategy is to sit several at the same time so you maximize their time together on the court.

It might be frustrating during those periods, but if you take the big picture of the entire game into account the strategy makes sense to me
2Sense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 11:25 AM   #115
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

Quote:
I shoulda have taken better notes.

But thanks for throwing it out there that I’m just spouting what others said as a follower.

I actually witnessed most of the games this season.
Haha that's not how I meant it.

Stuff like that goes around for a reason. But it feels like a small deal to me I guess. So if it's a small deal to most/everyone, no big deal. But the amount it gets brought up, even if it's in a way that makes it not a huge deal, makes it seem like a bigger deal bc it's constantly talked about.
Old 03-07-2018, 11:28 AM   #116
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Sense View Post
There are times even during close or potentially close games when Clark, Washington, and Cumberland are all out at the same time. However, if you look at game situations I think these are more common in first half and usually timed around the 12 or 8 minute tv timeout. one strategy would be to stagger everyone so there are always 3-4 starters in the game. another strategy is to sit several at the same time so you maximize their time together on the court.

It might be frustrating during those periods, but if you take the big picture of the entire game into account the strategy makes sense to me
It's great in the games we end up winning by double digits anyway bc it's such good experience for the young guys. Williams, Moore, and Nsoseme should all be pretty reliable next year.
Old 03-07-2018, 01:20 PM   #117
david aka the TYZ
Epic Member

david aka the TYZ will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Sense View Post

I think sometimes Mick intentionally subs these guys out at the same time to run a full court aggressive press. It's a strategy that has worked very well and gotten us easy baskets and maximized the benches contributions. These three players in particular aren't guys Mick wants to press with. And I don't mean a token, defend the ball full court type of press, I mean a double team the inbound pass and try and force a trap and bad pass. He does this with Broome, Scott, Williams and even Moore and Jenifer. Nysier is also much better at getting up and down the court than Washington or Clark for that matter. Cumberland can defend in a press but I think he prefers Williams and Moore.
david aka the TYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 01:25 PM   #118
david aka the TYZ
Epic Member

david aka the TYZ will become famous soon enough
Also its not the worst idea to give a team different looks once in a while, run fresh legs out there, get starters rest in first half in case you need them the entire second half, etc.

For the most part I've had very little concerns about Micks subbing. Most people don't really see the mistakes players make that get them yanked, specifically Washington. He can get completely owned on defense sometimes and when that happens he will come out every time.
david aka the TYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 02:34 PM   #119
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Sometimes you build an early lead for the sole purpose of using it to rest your guys.

Games against the bearcats are rarely won in the first half of games. I'm much more at peace with giving up an early lead if it means we get it back in the 2nd half and are much fresher.

I expect a lot of bench action in the AAC tourney which is a gauntlet of 3 games in 3 days.

But in the big dance, I myself want a much tighter rotation. Still don't care if Cane Starts but he has to play 28-30 minutes. Has to
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 02:59 PM   #120
cincycpaw
Epic Member

Still not thrilled with Cronin's sub pattern this year...but when you are 27-4 its obvious a small issue. And the WSU box score of minutes shows you what Cronin will do in the NCAA tournament. But, making a list of things that could have been better about this year, playing Broome more on top. Substitution patterns my #2, and the short leash on Kyle at times bother me the most. That short leash on kyle pissed me off in the home game against WSU. We couldn't score. it was 5-4...all 4 points were Kyles. He comes out for a dumb play. How about the other 4 guys making dumb offensive plays!