Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Community Clubhouse > Cronin's Corner

Old 03-24-2013, 08:22 PM   #1
JumpinJack5
Epic Member

JumpinJack5 is on a distinguished road
Florida Gulf Coast University

These guys are fun to watch, it's great to see how much fun they have, that's what athletics is all about. I love their offense-as Dicky V would say, "Dunk city, baby!" Maybe Mick should hire one of their assistants just to coach the offense, better than that AAU scrub we hired who can't coach big men. I hope they keep winning, great to see some new blood.......
JumpinJack5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 09:06 PM   #2
catsfan4life

catsfan4life is an unknown quantity at this point
I have been to the campus and watched one of their home games last season at Alico Arena against Mercer. The place was electric and really clean and brand new since everything there was built in the 2000s. The dorms walk out to the beach and there is a huge lake to go jet skiing and wake boarding.
catsfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 09:12 PM   #3
JumpinJack5
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsfan4life View Post
I have been to the campus and watched one of their home games last season at Alico Arena against Mercer. The place was electric and really clean and brand new since everything there was built in the 2000s. The dorms walk out to the beach and there is a huge lake to go jet skiing and wake boarding.
I bet the women are fantastic, then!
Old 03-24-2013, 09:15 PM   #4
Bearcat_NTS
Epic Member

Bearcat_NTS will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpinJack5 View Post
These guys are fun to watch, it's great to see how much fun they have, that's what athletics is all about. I love their offense-as Dicky V would say, "Dunk city, baby!" Maybe Mick should hire one of their assistants just to coach the offense, better than that AAU scrub we hired who can't coach big men. I hope they keep winning, great to see some new blood.......
Larry Davis is coaching the big men after George Jackson had to retire. The "AAU scrub" is Antwan Jackson and he was a terrific hire with great pipelines in the DC scene.

I love how incompetent most UC fans are. We don't need some new offensive scheme, we don't need to start recruiting a bunch of "corn boys" as Doc calls them. Cincinnati simply needs a competent big man. That is the main solution. We saw the affects of failed big man recruiting for the last 3 years this season, it eventually caught up to us without Yancy. Think of the big men we've had along side Gates: Ibrahima Thomas (serviceable, good rebounder), Toyloy (big body), Mbodj (injured, non factor), and Gaines (nothing). I am sure I am missing someone but that is basically what we've had in the post. If UC can just recruit a solid big man, we will be fine.

Adjusted offense rankings:
2013: 111 (15 in defense)
2012: 48 (24 in defense)
2011: 51 (18 in defense)

It is not rocket science guys...quit trying to turn UC into Butler or Creighton.
Bearcat_NTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 09:29 PM   #5
JumpinJack5
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcat_NTS View Post
Larry Davis is coaching the big men after George Jackson had to retire. The "AAU scrub" is Antwan Jackson and he was a terrific hire with great pipelines in the DC scene.

I love how incompetent most UC fans are. We don't need some new offensive scheme, we don't need to start recruiting a bunch of "corn boys" as Doc calls them. Cincinnati simply needs a competent big man. That is the main solution. We saw the affects of failed big man recruiting for the last 3 years this season, it eventually caught up to us without Yancy. Think of the big men we've had along side Gates: Ibrahima Thomas (serviceable, good rebounder), Toyloy (big body), Mbodj (injured, non factor), and Gaines (nothing). I am sure I am missing someone but that is basically what we've had in the post. If UC can just recruit a solid big man, we will be fine.

Adjusted offense rankings:
2013: 111 (15 in defense)
2012: 48 (24 in defense)
2011: 51 (18 in defense)

It is not rocket science guys...quit trying to turn UC into Butler or Creighton.
I read the media guide this year, said Jackson was coaching the bigs. I don't care if he is a great recruiter if he cannot coach, but if he wasn't coaching the bigs, definitely makes me think more highly of him. We need coaches, AAU is ruining basketball and turning college into the pros. We need innovative coaches like Andy Enfield, he came from Wall Street and lets his guys play loose and have fun. I understand it is competitive d1 athletics, but they still can have fun while they play it. Look at all of these fake HS teams now that just have guys with an AAU pact to play together. Some HS players are being paid because of all the handlers and crap that come with AAU, and it is a ridiculous part of American society that tries to make every parent feel like their kid is going to be the next LeBron and swindle their money. I realize good connections are important to winning and we need good recruits, but I think that this is a major widespread issue among many sports in America, and it drives me crazy. No one can just play knothole baseball, they have to play "select" baseball. I know to become great you need as much practice against good competition as you can get, but some of this stuff just drains the fun out of sports and turns it more into politics. And FYI, FGCU isn't corn belt white guys, they have a nice mixture of players.

Last edited by JumpinJack5; 03-24-2013 at 09:35 PM.