Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 11-26-2018, 03:37 PM   #81
indydoug

indydoug is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
can we give cane a bit more credit than that. benching or no benching he was never going to shoot 7% from the floor all season.

i'll also be willing to wager if moore is allowed to play again this season he won't finish the season shooting 0% from 3.
Whose minutes would you give to Moore? I think it might already be established that he's one of those guys who shoots lights out in practice but can't translate it to game situations. Also he has been TO prone so far this year. I guess that's probably Cronin's fault, too for beating him down.
indydoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 03:41 PM   #82
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

WAITE HOYT 2 is on a distinguished road
[quote=waterhead;192635]
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post

I guess you were busy editing before I copied
Yes I was.
WAITE HOYT 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 03:46 PM   #83
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

[quote=waterhead;192635]
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post

I guess you were busy editing before I copied
I really struggled with my response and decided to change it. I did so with the idea of not contributing to the negativity.
Old 11-26-2018, 03:59 PM   #84
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydoug View Post
Whose minutes would you give to Moore? I think it might already be established that he's one of those guys who shoots lights out in practice but can't translate it to game situations. Also he has been TO prone so far this year. I guess that's probably Cronin's fault, too for beating him down.

i didn't say i'd give them to anybody. only that if he does play i bet he won't shoot 0% from 3 all season.

moore isn't good enough to be playing ahead of anybody.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 06:49 PM   #85
Garybearcat

Garybearcat is on a distinguished road
The 3 building blocks of a great defense
1) Effort
2) Teamwork
3) Execution
---------------
The 3 building blocks of a great offense
1) Skills
2) Teamwork
3) Execution

Mick knows like all great coaches that effort is the most important part of your team. It’s the one building block that is constant and can be 100% every time. It has to be or all the other building blocks are worthless. Only a coach will know why one player takes the floor and another doesn’t but I’m 100% certain that a lack of 100% effort is always the reason. Effort builds character and fosters leadership and this is why our players graduate and make good decisions off the court.

Last edited by Garybearcat; 11-26-2018 at 06:51 PM.
Garybearcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 10:19 AM   #86
indydoug

indydoug is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
i didn't say i'd give them to anybody. only that if he does play i bet he won't shoot 0% from 3 all season.

moore isn't good enough to be playing ahead of anybody.
Ok. Agreed about his current level of play. It's hard sometimes to read intent from a post. I thought your comment "if he is allowed to play again this season..." was referencing your prior comments about Cronin destroying Broome's confidence by yanking him out after a mistake. Thanks for clarifying.
indydoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 10:34 AM   #87
cincrulz11
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by indydoug View Post
Ok. Agreed about his current level of play. It's hard sometimes to read intent from a post. I thought your comment "if he is allowed to play again this season..." was referencing your prior comments about Cronin destroying Broome's confidence by yanking him out after a mistake. Thanks for clarifying.

ive got no issue with moore not playing. the other guys are better and he was struggling. then he went and made a major mistake from the bench, mick is right to do w/e he wants with him.
Old 11-27-2018, 10:40 AM   #88
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

Something I saw on another site. It was pointed out that during a time out a mic picked up the coach of Ole Miss talking to his team. During his rant he asked them if they thought playing us was going to be easy. He then went in and told them our team doesn’t take one possession off ,not one. Quite a complement from the opposition. Nice to see that kind of respect given to the staff and players. The only way this kind of effort occurs if the Coach demands it and enforces it with accountability. Love our program and the blue color approach the employ to make us all proud. That kind of effort don’t grow on trees
Old 11-27-2018, 10:45 AM   #89
cincrulz11
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAITE HOYT 2 View Post
Something I saw on another site. It was pointed out that during a time out a mic picked up the coach of Ole Miss talking to his team. During his rant he asked them if they thought playing us was going to be easy. He then went in and told them our team doesn’t take one possession off ,not one. Quite a complement from the opposition. Nice to see that kind of respect given to the staff and players. The only way this kind of effort occurs if the Coach demands it and enforces it with accountability. Love our program and the blue color approach the employ to make us all proud. That kind of effort don’t grow on trees
i laughed at that "did you think this would be easy like last night?"

any coach that plays us should know we are going to fight all game long. we might not look the prettiest, we might go 10 minutes without scoring from time to time, but we'll fight all game long. mick is top notch coaching defense and effort.
Old 12-01-2018, 08:33 AM   #90
david aka the TYZ
Epic Member

david aka the TYZ will become famous soon enough
I started the argument I suppose and I'll respond. I just get tired of the constant Mick bashing and the Cane Broome love fest. I like Cane, but he isn't the player some make him out to be on here. There is a consensus and mostly by cincrulz and then it seeps into others brains that Mick has a personal issue against Cane and is using that personal grudge to make the team worse. And this has been said by him on multiple occasions. For the most part I ignore it but sometimes it irritates me enough I chime in. But saying something like this is just flat out wrong and when other posters buy into it and start repeating the posts then it becomes a thing. Mick doesnt have a grudge against Cane. He came pretty much flat out and said Cane doesnt show up and work hard in practice and doesn't come ready to play defense and own the defensive philosophy Mick demands like Justin does. End of case.

We can disagree with it all we want but I have no problem with accountability. And you can check my post history on both Justin and Cane and tell I'm not a Cane hater or a justin lover. There's things Cane does well. And last year he was perfect off the bench for two reasons. One, he was great in the press and Mick didnt press with the starters and two, his offense was better needed with the "second team" strategy Mick likes to employ and better in transition offense that was generated from the press. Again we could argue that strategy, but I'm more for understanding what it is since we cant change it and then critiquing from there. Cane can be an electric scorer. He's quick and aggressive on offense and with trying to get steals on defense. What his flaws are, for him to be at his best offensively he becomes a one-dimensional focal point of an offense. And he's simply not good enough to be option one when he's surrounded by four other starters (last years team) all better options than him. I love that he's quick and can catch a defense sleeping. That works two possessions a game vs. a good defense. We get 70ish possessions a game. A good defense can stop him from penetrating fairly easily. So when he has to fall into a half court set, his weapons are diminished. He still makes lazy passes and doesn't take care of the ball, which is why he was moved off the ball last year and thus him starting was off the table. Mick wants a guy that takes care of the ball and can facilitate his half court offense. Again we can argue that but it's pointless, it wont change. Understand it and then understand why Cane doesnt start. Now this year comes along and we looked like crap. Nobody took ownership on defense. These are Micks words. Keith Williams came in playing aggressively in practice and Cane didn't. So coach made a change. Keith has a ton more length than Cane and Cane and justin both on the floor at the same time wasnt working as they're both too small. Williams has responded and so has Cane. Now again, we can disagree with any of Micks philosophies. I do plenty. But what I cant sit by and tolerate is the notion that Mick has it out for certain players and has his favorites. I've seen Mick lighting into Justin after being benched at games. I saw him wave his hands down to Trevor Moore to calm down after airballing another three. I've seen him coaching Cane up on the sidelines. This doesnt show up on TV. Again, theres a lot Cane does well but I feel most fans get too wrapped up in seeing someone dribble around an unsuspecting defense and score and somehow think he's better than he is or that he'll be able to do it for 35 minutes when a defense is ready for it. When Cane plays within the team concept he's still a valuable player and scorer. He can still catch a defense sleeping, he's a solid catch and release three ball shooter and when he's willing (although apparently it hinges on him jumping sideways with his leg out and falling when landing) he can hit a long jumper after dribble penetrating past the three point line. Whereas I thought he'd be starting this year, with the emergence of Keith playing like he is and it working it means Cane falls back to the bench. And I'm ok with that if it's best for the team. Justin is going to start whether we like it or not. He's vocal on defense and owns it and he's the vocal point as well and facilitates the offense and takes care of the ball. The only way your opponent gets more possessions than you is if you turn the ball over. And Mick simply doesn't tolerate it. That is what it is. I also keep hearing the argument against Justin that players can just dribble around him or shoot over him. And that's true for Cane as well. I'll respond by saying the way you stop these things are by denying your man the ball with enough room to get a clean look and two with help defense. Justin is better in switches and keeping his man (and teams as a whole) in check and forcing bad shots. Kevin Johnson was a master at it. KJ one on one couldn't stop anything, but stopping a moving 5 piece offense and forcing bad shots he was maybe Micks best. And this is Micks entire philosophy on defense. I get it fans want steals and in your face blocked shots but the reality is refereeing doesn't lead to this being a reality. Theres a reason we always have the lowest shooting percentages against us and it's because of this very thing. We force bad shots. So where its true a guy can shoot over Justin, its his main weakness, he does actually disrupt other teams gameplans fairly well. And believe it, most coaches are more than pleased with the other teams settling for contested threes on defense. As far as being dribbled around, yeah, for the most part any guard can dribble around any other guard when they want to. It's why they took the hand-check out of the game. It's an automatic foul for a guard. You combat this with help defense. Let your man around you and with trees underneath he wont get a shot off and denying passing lanes means he can't dish. Again, this is what Mick designs his defense to excel at. And also why I said earlier it's easy for a good defense to stop Cane from doing what he does. When Cane combats this with his little off balanced falling down midrange shot its effective.

And cincrulz, I know you don't care and say block you, but I'm not a child for one and for two I actually like and agree with most of what you have to say on here. I just think you've developed a blind love for Cane and its clouding your ability to rationally judge things regarding him and I'll leave it at that. But to say Mick has a personal grudge against him and is putting that over the good of the team is just flat out wrong to me and not productive conversation. Last year you went off for a week about Cane being benched for a mistake another player made and claimed Mick's personal hatred of Cane was the reason. Its absurd and again counterproductive to discussing anything rationally because the problem is other posters for whatever reason take these outlandish statements and repeat them as if they're gospel. Then threads turn into mick and justin bashing

Last edited by david aka the TYZ; 12-01-2018 at 08:47 AM.
david aka the TYZ is offline   Reply With Quote