Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 11-16-2018, 09:24 AM   #21
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
he was a freshman. but he did have performances last year like he had on tuesday (although never got that many minutes cause of the log jam). some people appear to have forgotten that.
I agree Keith had some success on the offensive side against some cupcakes but the thing that probably surprised me most was his effort related stats.

He had 10 deflections out of the 40 we shoot for as a team every game! 3 blocks, 2 steals. Did a decent job on the boards.

If he can do that he is going to be a menace on D and could replace some of what we got out of Evans. He is going to have to hit that mid range J and fadeaway a lot this year because he won't be able to get to the bucket as easy against better teams and his 3 ball is still suspect. That's not the best area to be scoring but he will have to take what he can get...just like Scott.

I agree...pump the breaks. He is still limited by the 3 ball and won't find it as easy to get to the rack many games
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 09:30 AM   #22
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post

He had 10 deflections out of the 40 we shoot for as a team every game! 3 blocks, 2 steals. Did a decent job on the boards.

can you find those stats anywhere or did somebody mention it in an interview?

Quote:

I agree...pump the breaks. He is still limited by the 3 ball and won't find it as easy to get to the rack many games
but it is a step forward he hasn't been chucking up a bunch of 3s. last year he was 0-8 in the first 3 games.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 09:36 AM   #23
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAITE HOYT 2 View Post
He would certainly be the player on our team who I would focus on. I have been at both games and it seems he is forcing things in the early stages of the games. I'm sure he is trying a bit to hard. Need him to play smart and stay within himself. If he is the only player on our team we are in for a long season anyway. Other guys need to step up.
Yup, ideally a few guys need to step up. I remain confident that Scott is going to be a big time player for us this year and average double figures in points. Brooks/Nsoseme should combine for double figures, but won't be major scoring threats.

Williams has shown by far the most potential of our forwards (other than Cumberland) to be a scorer and I feel pretty comfortable that he will develop into a real scorer over the season.

The thing that I lack confidence in is the backups for Cumberland/Williams/Scott. Somebody needs to keep the offense running while those guys rest. At least one and preferably two of the Moore, Fredericks, Broome and Diarra combination need to be a scoring threat or our starters are going to run out of gas.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 09:37 AM   #24
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

WAITE HOYT 2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I just don't want people to think he's had a bad season if his efficiency numbers tank for the season. he's asked to do so much. he's being asked to be SK but without having JJ to take some of the weight off.
I have always thought of Jarron as a player who would have some difficulty being asked to create offense. He passes well but if he needs to put the ball on the floor he has some difficulty. I agree with you he needs help.
WAITE HOYT 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 09:44 AM   #25
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

WAITE HOYT 2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post
Yup, ideally a few guys need to step up. I remain confident that Scott is going to be a big time player for us this year and average double figures in points. Brooks/Nsoseme should combine for double figures, but won't be major scoring threats.

Williams has shown by far the most potential of our forwards (other than Cumberland) to be a scorer and I feel pretty comfortable that he will develop into a real scorer over the season.

The thing that I lack confidence in is the backups for Cumberland/Williams/Scott. Somebody needs to keep the offense running while those guys rest. At least one and preferably two of the Moore, Fredericks, Broome and Diarra combination need to be a scoring threat or our starters are going to run out of gas.
No doubt. I am still holding out hope that Moore and Broome will become more effective.

Moore in my opinion is trying to be a complete player instead of just a spot up shooter. He will pump fake and drive to the hole instead of giving the ball up and resetting and waiting for the rotation of the ball. Broome is a player who has trouble without the ball being in his hands. I really like him being on the wing because I think he is our second best 3 point shooter. I hope he can find it in himself to do what the coach ask and stay on the floor. We need his scoring. Be it off the bench or in the starting line up.
WAITE HOYT 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 09:51 AM   #26
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
can you find those stats anywhere or did somebody mention it in an interview?

but it is a step forward he hasn't been chucking up a bunch of 3s. last year he was 0-8 in the first 3 games.
I assume you mean the deflections. Scott mentioned it in the post game presser.
Old 11-16-2018, 10:01 AM   #27
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post

We have a full season of watching Broome create offense and score. Williams had a nice game but Broome has had many. Especially in bigger games last year. These things don't just reverse themselves after a game or two. An improved Williams would be a very welcome sight but Cane can score...he's done it his whole career. My only worry with Broome is whether his confidence has been shattered...but even that can be repaired if he can put in the effort it takes to stay on the floor...and if Cronin would give him just a bit more of a break at times.
Old 11-16-2018, 10:41 AM   #28
waterhead
Senior Moderator

I think Williams potential on D is much higher than his offense. I think he can be a very solid contributor on offense but not spectacular. He can be spectacular on D.

Broome still would not have to be buried on the bench even if Williams wins the job on the wing because of his D and rebounding capabilities. Broome is still miles ahead of Moore and Fredericks. There are minutes available. Even if he is not starting he can still get 20 minutes or more in some games. We still need to "feed the pig" and go with who is hot at times.

Offensively Broome is still your 2nd best option. He scored more than 13 points 11 times last year. And that was on a team that had 4 other scoring options with him averaging 20 mpg. Who is going to do that this year? Not Brooks or Nsoseme. Not Jenifer or Johnson. Not Fredericks or Moore. Williams has an outside chance.
Old 11-16-2018, 10:57 AM   #29
GarradJ21
Epic Member

GarradJ21 is on a distinguished road
We need Cane to get on track today and all the drama to be put to rest. Would love to see Trevor his a few 3s.
GarradJ21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 11:16 AM   #30
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
Quote:
We have a full season of watching Broome create offense and score. Williams had a nice game but Broome has had many. Especially in bigger games last year. These things don't just reverse themselves after a game or two. An improved Williams would be a very welcome sight but Cane can score...he's done it his whole career. My only worry with Broome is whether his confidence has been shattered...but even that can be repaired if he can put in the effort it takes to stay on the floor...and if Cronin would give him just a bit more of a break at times.
My concern with Broome is his lack of size. Last year, he was surrounded by scoring threats and thus did not have the defense focusing on him. He was being guarded by the other teams PG. This year, they will likely have their SG and/or 2nd best defender on him - likely a guy who is 6' 5" and a very good athlete.

It's a lot harder to create when teams evaluate you as the teams 2nd best scorer then it is when teams evaluate you as the 4th or 5th best scorer. Hopefully, as other players (Scott, Williams, Johnson and even Brooks/Nsoseme) develop into bigger scoring threats it will make it easier on Broome. This is true for Cumberland as well, but Cumberland is big and strong enough that he can take the other teams best defender. Cumberland is also such a good passer that it keeps opposing D's a little more honest.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote