Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-16-2018, 09:06 AM   #261
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
I think Williams will be fine. He is going to get the message that he needs to use his superior athleticism on D if he wants to play in front of other options. I think they can make some minor tweaks to his shot to get him to 30+% from three. I believe he shot over 30% in HS and he must have done it in practice if Cronin allowed him to shoot as much as he did early on.

His upside is much higher than Moore. We will likely still want to see other players shooting the volume...but as long as Williams can show he is at least a threat to make a three...he can use his other tools.

We should be fine on the perimeter but the problem is we don't have much in the paint to keep a D honest so they can guard the perimeter more. We are going to want to clear the paint a little bit and let the guards drive some if the D is going to crowd the perimeter. I think we have some guys who can take advantage of this in Cane, Jarron, and Keith.

If we try to run a traditional offense with 2 bigs and try to feed them in the paint a lot I think my head might explode. We will have to do it a little bit so I hope ALL the bigs are working on paint scoring primarily.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 09:32 AM   #262
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
I think Williams will be fine. He is going to get the message that he needs to use his superior athleticism on D if he wants to play in front of other options. I think they can make some minor tweaks to his shot to get him to 30+% from three. I believe he shot over 30% in HS and he must have done it in practice if Cronin allowed him to shoot as much as he did early on.

His upside is much higher than Moore. We will likely still want to see other players shooting the volume...but as long as Williams can show he is at least a threat to make a three...he can use his other tools.

We should be fine on the perimeter but the problem is we don't have much in the paint to keep a D honest so they can guard the perimeter more. We are going to want to clear the paint a little bit and let the guards drive some if the D is going to crowd the perimeter. I think we have some guys who can take advantage of this in Cane, Jarron, and Keith.

If we try to run a traditional offense with 2 bigs and try to feed them in the paint a lot I think my head might explode. We will have to do it a little bit so I hope ALL the bigs are working on paint scoring primarily.
Nsoseme and Diarra should get 0 (and I do mean 0) post touches next year. Scott only in the high post to work handoffs and face ups. And Brooks only with a serious mismatch.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 03:06 PM   #263
GarradJ21
Epic Member

GarradJ21 is on a distinguished road
Here are some predictions I have for the upcoming season (pretty basic for the most part):

We run 4 guard offense a lot but start the game with two bigs

Cumberland averages 17 + a game

Fredericks commits and starts

Cane starts. I think Cronin realizes he needs to wake up.

We make the sweet 16...How many times do we see a run happen when you least expect it and the opposite happens when you expect a team to really make a run (this year)

We have an extremely good taste in our mouth at the end of the season knowing we will have Logan Johnson for 3 more years.

Last edited by GarradJ21; 04-18-2018 at 03:11 PM.
GarradJ21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 03:37 PM   #264
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Not sure if this link of Logan Johnson has been posted but man this video makes me feel really good about him.

He is super athletic and dunks with ease in game.

http://www.hudl.com/v/27cEzS
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 05:00 PM   #265
Queens_NYC
Epic Member

Queens_NYC is on a distinguished road
Response below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarradJ21 View Post
Here are some predictions I have for the upcoming season (pretty basic for the most part):

I think this is contingent on Fredericks being on the team but regardless I think we'll see more 4 guard line-ups this season than last

I'll take the under but I think he'll be close; probably in the 15-17 range

I'd be happy with that

I hope so

We make the sweet 16...How many times do we see a run happen when you least expect it and the opposite happens when you expect a team to really make a run (this year)

My prediction right now would be NCAA 1st round loss but I hope you're right and I'm wrong

We have an extremely good taste in our mouth at the end of the season knowing we will have Logan Johnson for 3 more years.

Agree 1000% on this. I think he's going to be the most explosive PG of the Cronin era and a real playmaker from the moment he steps on campus.
Queens_NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 08:24 PM   #266
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

Quote:

For us? Never?

What seed do you see us getting? If we are a 6-11 seed, how do you expect us to win a 2nd round game against a Top 3 seed?
Old 04-18-2018, 10:00 PM   #267
Jon Rycek
Epic Member

Jon Rycek is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
For us? Never?

What seed do you see us getting? If we are a 6-11 seed, how do you expect us to win a 2nd round game against a Top 3 seed?
Like we did against fl state? Quit whining already Jesus
Jon Rycek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 10:05 PM   #268
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Rycek View Post
Like we did against fl state? Quit whining already Jesus
We were in the Big East Finals that year after beating Syracuse. You think that run was unexpected? Jesus.
Old 04-18-2018, 10:51 PM   #269
GarradJ21
Epic Member

GarradJ21 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
For us? Never?

Not so much for us but it could happen. With a some of these talents like cane and Cumberland and we end up a 6 or 5 I could see it more than the years with jermain sanders and the next year with Ellis and them as seniors.. I mean overall you wouldn’t expect a huge run or anything but it could def happen... I still think this up coming year can produce a lot of wins I mean I don’t know how the committee will view Xavier and UCLA type wins at home but a 4 seed isn’t out of the picture. Now 1-3 is going to be tough

Depending on this season stacks up, a 6 seed to a 11 wasn’t a huge difference. I still want to avoid an 8/9 I would rather drop to the 7/10 or 11 than 8/9..not trying to see a whole bunch of NBA talent on one team in the second round, but that did happen to us two years ago when playing UCLA but this past year If we ended up as a 6 we would have had just as good of a chance to make the sweet 16 as we did as a 2

Year to year varies on strengths of seeds

Last edited by GarradJ21; 04-18-2018 at 10:56 PM.
GarradJ21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 11:01 PM   #270
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

Quote:
Not so much for us but it could happen. With a some of these talents like cane and Cumberland and we end up a 6 or 5 I could see it more than the years with jermain sanders and the next year with Ellis and them as seniors.. I mean overall you wouldn’t expect a huge run or anything but it could def happen... I still think this up coming year can produce a lot of wins I mean I don’t know how the committee will view Xavier and UCLA type wins at home but a 4 seed isn’t out of the picture. Now 1-3 is going to be tough

Depending on this season stacks up, a 6 seed to a 11 wasn’t a huge difference. I still want to avoid an 8/9 I would rather drop to the 7/10 or 11 than 8/9..not trying to see a whole bunch of NBA talent on one team in the second round, but that did happen to us two years ago when playing UCLA but this past year If we ended up as a 6 we would have had just as good of a chance to make the sweet 16 as we did as a 2

Year to year varies on strengths of seeds
I think a 4 seed is crazy talk. Especially bc the committee respected the AAC more this year and no teams made it out of the 1st weekend. SMU got a 6 after going 20-1 in AAC play to end the year last year. I think it'll be more like that at best for our league'stop seed.