Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 05-05-2010, 08:43 AM   #71
ME80

ME80 is on a distinguished road
I think many are reading to much into this. SK would only have to average around 12 points a game to successfully replace the scoring of either Lance or Deonte. If SK is the offensive player many think, I do not think this is too much to ask of him.
ME80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 10:02 AM   #72
Catpaw

Catpaw is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by ME80 View Post
I think many are reading to much into this. SK would only have to average around 12 points a game to successfully replace the scoring of either Lance or Deonte. If SK is the offensive player many think, I do not think this is too much to ask of him.
Really? You realize what Vaughn averaged as a senior? What Lance averaged last year?

I think people get WAY over excited about players they haven't watched before. Expecting 12 ppg from a RS freshman is a little much.
Catpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 12:05 PM   #73
clo

clo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ready2go View Post
Its like a fairy tale. Everything works out in the end.

This statement right here gets me everytime. Just because we have one more year of experience does not mean players will increase production. For example: Vaughn, Gates, Dixon, Davis, Bishop. Their stats in just about every catagory decreased or remained the same from the year before. Yea it makes us feel all warm and fuzzy inside that we have a year more experience, but fact of the matter is that does not always translate into increased production.

And guess what? We aren't the only team that gained another year of experience. Those ten teams that finished ahead of UC are going to be better next year as well.
I think every coach hopes and expects their players to improve every year. No, it is not garaunteed, but most would hope at least a couple step up. I don't know why that quote would bother you. If players did not improve, you could trim half of every roster after a player's freshman year, because you already would know their ceiling and whether they could produce or not. If you never get improvement, then there is a problem, possibly in coaching. I expect some that there will be players from this team that step up and produce in a larger manner. Otherwise look for alot a 45 pnt games, jk.
clo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 12:20 PM   #74
BearcatAlum1
Elite Member

BearcatAlum1 has a spectacular aura aboutBearcatAlum1 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catpaw View Post
Really? You realize what Vaughn averaged as a senior? What Lance averaged last year?

I think people get WAY over excited about players they haven't watched before. Expecting 12 ppg from a RS freshman is a little much.
12 ppg would be a nice average for a redshirt freshmen. 12 ppg could very well be our leading scorer next year.

Neither Vaughn nor Born Ready averaged 12 points/game. Expecting SK to score 12/game might be overly optimistic.

However, I think we'll see a much better "team game" from the 'Cats next year. I think we'll see a better "motion" offense and far less standing.

It will be nice to have some seniors and juniors on the roster that have been in the program for their entire careers, rather than a season or two (i.e. Juco).

We'll likely be picked in preseason polls to finish between 10-13 in the BE, but this team should surprise some folks.

Hopefully the fear that there is no "go to man" creates some urgency for personal and team growth.
BearcatAlum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 12:40 PM   #75
swg
Epic Member

swg is a jewel in the roughswg is a jewel in the roughswg is a jewel in the rough
If all our starters avg 10 points, UC would be in great shape. Actually, it's not that far-fetched this year.
swg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 12:52 PM   #76
ready2go
Elite Member

ready2go is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by clo View Post
I think every coach hopes and expects their players to improve every year. No, it is not garaunteed, but most would hope at least a couple step up. I don't know why that quote would bother you. If players did not improve, you could trim half of every roster after a player's freshman year, because you already would know their ceiling and whether they could produce or not. If you never get improvement, then there is a problem, possibly in coaching. I expect some that there will be players from this team that step up and produce in a larger manner. Otherwise look for alot a 45 pnt games, jk.
My point was, yes the norm is that MOST players do get better. That is a given, so why point that out. However, not ALL do improve. Such as those 4 or 5 guys I mentioned earlier. Not to mention the fact that every player coming back except Gates averaged less than double digits last year. That is a lot of improving especially for a team who struggled to score and finished 11th in the Big East. Is Mick going to give the inexperienced excuse again?

I was making a point to whoever it was that said Koch failed to add the part in his article about others stepping up. That SHOULD happen. All fans expect that.

Last edited by ready2go; 05-05-2010 at 01:03 PM.
ready2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 03:40 PM   #77
clo

clo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
My point was, yes the norm is that MOST players do get better. That is a given, so why point that out. However, not ALL do improve. Such as those 4 or 5 guys I mentioned earlier. Not to mention the fact that every player coming back except Gates averaged less than double digits last year. That is a lot of improving especially for a team who struggled to score and finished 11th in the Big East. Is Mick going to give the inexperienced excuse again?

I was making a point to whoever it was that said Koch failed to add the part in his article about others stepping up. That SHOULD happen. All fans expect that.
I guess I was just saying that I don't think it should be irritating to have a coach count on players to step up. If the coach doesn't think his players will improve, he probably shouldn't be coaching. Whether he does get them to improve could be a different story, I'll give you that. I think several of these players were defering to Lance and DV, and will hopefully step up. I feel all coaches should expect progress from their players and will probably say so. You may be correct expecting them all to step up may be a little overly optimistic.
clo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 06:16 AM   #78
ME80

ME80 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catpaw View Post

Yes I do, around 12 each, and was very disappointed in the way each played. I said in my email if SK is as offensive minded as many have said, 12 points should be attainable.
ME80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 10:06 AM   #79
ready2go
Elite Member

ready2go is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ME80 View Post
Yes I do, around 12 each, and was very disappointed in the way each played. I said in my email if SK is as offensive minded as many have said, 12 points should be attainable.
I think what is getting lost in all of this is the fact that he eventually will be a great scorer. But to count on him right off the bat next year to come in and put up points is a lot to ask, 12ppg. Cash said it best, the game is going a lot faster. It is taking time to adjust. Think he mentioned something about slowing the game down in his head. This is going to happen for SK to, especially after being out of it for a year. How long it takes him to adjust, only he will know.

I am counting on SK to be a big time scorer for this program. I just feel it is going to take him sometime to get on track and play at the Big East level. Down the road I can see him being like Sam Young was for Pitt. Basketball savy and an old school approach.
ready2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 08:43 PM   #80
bearcat jeff
Hoops Moderator

bearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
I think what is getting lost in all of this is the fact that he eventually will be a great scorer. But to count on him right off the bat next year to come in and put up points is a lot to ask, 12ppg. Cash said it best, the game is going a lot faster. It is taking time to adjust. Think he mentioned something about slowing the game down in his head. This is going to happen for SK to, especially after being out of it for a year. How long it takes him to adjust, only he will know.

I am counting on SK to be a big time scorer for this program. I just feel it is going to take him sometime to get on track and play at the Big East level. Down the road I can see him being like Sam Young was for Pitt. Basketball savy and an old school approach.
The difference is that typically players that practice for a year have less of a learning curve than those that totally sit. Cash was unable to even play for months! SK played against a first team (respectable) defense every day. He will certainly have some ups and downs, but it will not be the same transition that Cash went thru.
bearcat jeff is offline   Reply With Quote