Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Whose offseason development is the most critical for 18-19?
Jacob Evans 2 4.76%
Jarron Cumberland 2 4.76%
Cane Broome 7 16.67%
Justin Jenifer 0 0%
Tre Scott 11 26.19%
Nysier Brooks 4 9.52%
Eliel Nsoseme 0 0%
Mamoudou Diarra 5 11.90%
Trevor Moore 2 4.76%
Keith Williams 8 19.05%
Logan Johnson 1 2.38%
LaQuill Hardnett 0 0%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-23-2018, 10:22 AM   #71
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Every year we start a guy who shouldn't be starting.

Who will it be this next year?
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 10:31 AM   #72
Jon Rycek
Epic Member

Jon Rycek is on a distinguished road
I disagree that it's Cronins fault for our early exit. I really think his game plan (and yes the play of our players) is what built us that 22 point lead. He tried to slow it down, used a couple time outs. Ran one really good out of bounds play after the first one I believe. But guys we're missing shots, guys were not getting hands in the face of shooters til it was too late. We missed layups, and 1 ft put backs, and loose balls we could have grabbed, we didn't. Our players choked, and I love our players, but they felt them taking over and they tightened up and they shut down. I'm sure there were some adjustments or something Mick may have been able to do, but he can't play the game too and I just don't think it's fair to put it all on him. That being said, I completely agree about our starting 5. Our best 5 need to be out there together more than they're not. We aren't Kentucky, we aren't doing platoons, so the whole the better PG needs to be with the backups is funny. We just need to rotate our back ups in better, 2 at a time, keep a majority of starters in. We have two guys who can play 40 in Evans and Cumberland, so there's no real need for major minutes from the bench. But I have no idea how it's going to be his year, I expect more of a committee situation for our bigs.
Jon Rycek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 10:56 AM   #73
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Rycek View Post
I disagree that it's Cronins fault for our early exit. I really think his game plan (and yes the play of our players) is what built us that 22 point lead. He tried to slow it down, used a couple time outs. Ran one really good out of bounds play after the first one I believe. But guys we're missing shots, guys were not getting hands in the face of shooters til it was too late. We missed layups, and 1 ft put backs, and loose balls we could have grabbed, we didn't. Our players choked, and I love our players, but they felt them taking over and they tightened up and they shut down. I'm sure there were some adjustments or something Mick may have been able to do, but he can't play the game too and I just don't think it's fair to put it all on him. That being said, I completely agree about our starting 5. Our best 5 need to be out there together more than they're not. We aren't Kentucky, we aren't doing platoons, so the whole the better PG needs to be with the backups is funny. We just need to rotate our back ups in better, 2 at a time, keep a majority of starters in. We have two guys who can play 40 in Evans and Cumberland, so there's no real need for major minutes from the bench. But I have no idea how it's going to be his year, I expect more of a committee situation for our bigs.
At what point does it become NOT the players...but the coach? If the players aren't performing in crunch time who is to blame ultimately? Why do the players not perform? Why do we not have players who CAN perform?
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 11:12 AM   #74
GarradJ21
Epic Member

GarradJ21 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
At what point does it become NOT the players...but the coach? If the players aren't performing in crunch time who is to blame ultimately? Why do the players not perform? Why do we not have players who CAN perform?
I think theres more players out there that cant perform than can perform. So it shouldn't be a shocker if a player doesn't make a winning play at the end. With that said, we have performed well at the end and we also have lost. That's basketball.
GarradJ21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 11:47 AM   #75
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarradJ21 View Post
I think theres more players out there that cant perform than can perform. So it shouldn't be a shocker if a player doesn't make a winning play at the end. With that said, we have performed well at the end and we also have lost. That's basketball.
At what point is the coach expected to advance in the tourement? Never? We are a “top 20-30” program. What year is the coach to blame?
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 11:59 AM   #76
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

WAITE HOYT 2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyguy13 View Post
At what point is the coach expected to advance in the tourement? Never? We are a “top 20-30” program. What year is the coach to blame?
The team is to blame. That includes the coaches and players. They had a historic meltdown and blew a 22 point lead. I would say strategy and player execution are both fair game. He has done a great job making and keeping us relevant. The issue is do we risk what we have in a effort to go further or stay the course and hope he takes it further. That is left up to the administration to decide. But as I mentioned they better make the right decision if they want to continue to have my support. I won't be trying to hear well we tried.
WAITE HOYT 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 12:14 PM   #77
Queens_NYC
Epic Member

Queens_NYC is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
Every year we start a guy who shouldn't be starting.

Who will it be this next year?
Brooks?

Also every year (for 4 consecutive years), we've had a true freshman establish himself as "the man" who would become a cornerstone of our program for the next four years.

13-14: Caupain
14-15: Clark
15-16: Evans
16-17: Cumberland
17-18: ???

That player didn't emerge last season. A lot of us thought it would be Williams before the season started, then Moore once the month of November ended.

We're going to need these players ready to contribute at a top 25 level two seasons from now.
Queens_NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 01:46 PM   #78
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Hopefully Jenifer, Cumberland, Williams, and Scott don't take long 2s next year. Someone needs to tell them it's a bad shot.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 02:21 PM   #79
mdchick
Epic Member

mdchick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
Hopefully Jenifer, Cumberland, Williams, and Scott don't take long 2s next year. Someone needs to tell them it's a bad shot.
Don’t mind Cumberland ever taking any shot, and for the rest as long as it’s in rhythm it’s way better than a turnover
mdchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 02:28 PM   #80
cincycpaw
Epic Member

cincycpaw will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queens_NYC View Post
Brooks?

Also every year (for 4 consecutive years), we've had a true freshman establish himself as "the man" who would become a cornerstone of our program for the next four years.

13-14: Caupain
14-15: Clark
15-16: Evans
16-17: Cumberland
17-18: ???

That player didn't emerge last season. A lot of us thought it would be Williams before the season started, then Moore once the month of November ended.

We're going to need these players ready to contribute at a top 25 level two seasons from now.
Yeah I was thinking about having that 1 impact freshman player per class and how well it's built the program. For 17-18: Broome. That's why we were a solid team and shoulda made some noise in the tourney besides whimpering.

But - we lose Clark. And if Evans goes Pro we lose another impact player. So we need 2 to step up big while the others develop on progress. There are kids on this roster that I like, but I can't tell you who I think will have a standout sophomore year. I just don't see it. And I don't know the freshman very well but hope 1 can be an impact player. But it seems like our streak might come to an end, which would result in a down year....still make the tournament, but down (although equal to the others in regards to tournament success).
cincycpaw is offline   Reply With Quote