Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Basketball Recruiting > 2018 Recruiting Profiles
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-08-2018, 09:44 AM   #31
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
The other thing is, we used to never use all of our scholarships. This would be scholarship #12. It's this kid vs empty roster spot, compared to how things used to go. If we can work with him and he has some of the traits our coaches like, what's the big deal?
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 09:45 AM   #32
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyguy13 View Post
I agree to some extent, but is hard to without at least a couple highly rated guys. Clark, washington, jarron, Jacob, were all around top 100ish guys. you do need some of them.
Logan Johnson. We'll still have Cumberland and Williams. Diarra was pretty close wasn't he? And if Evans leaves early for the NBA, can't hold that against the coach (not saying you are but that's a tough loss that you don't necessarily count on).
Old 02-08-2018, 10:00 AM   #33
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
Logan Johnson. We'll still have Cumberland and Williams. Diarra was pretty close wasn't he? And if Evans leaves early for the NBA, can't hold that against the coach (not saying you are but that's a tough loss that you don't necessarily count on).
I have said this before, I don't mind the recruiting. I think they do the best the can. They do not waste time with kids that aren't coming here. Which I am fine with. I think everyone would hope to see a little bump in recruiting, especially the last couple years. That's where I think some are coming from
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 10:11 AM   #34
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

Quote:
I have said this before, I don't mind the recruiting. I think they do the best the can. They do not waste time with kids that aren't coming here. Which I am fine with. I think everyone would hope to see a little bump in recruiting, especially the last couple years. That's where I think some are coming from
That's where I get confused. A bump from the players we have now? We are incredibly talented and deep. We have guys playing close to All-American level. Certainly All-Conference. And we have guys who are going to have every opportunity to play in the NBA. I guess the "bump" would be to hope we can sustain Top 10 all the time? I mean that's really the only place to go. But we're on pace for back to back 30 win seasons. I feel like there's a disconnect between that and recruiting. We're 52-8 last 2 years and it really feels like some people look at it as "Oh good now we can bring in some recruits". As if getting highly rated recruits is the ultimate status as an elite program. It's weird. Idk.
Old 02-08-2018, 10:48 AM   #35
cincyguy13
Epic Member

Quote:
That's where I get confused. A bump from the players we have now? We are incredibly talented and deep. We have guys playing close to All-American level. Certainly All-Conference. And we have guys who are going to have every opportunity to play in the NBA. I guess the "bump" would be to hope we can sustain Top 10 all the time? I mean that's really the only place to go. But we're on pace for back to back 30 win seasons. I feel like there's a disconnect between that and recruiting. We're 52-8 last 2 years and it really feels like some people look at it as "Oh good now we can bring in some recruits". As if getting highly rated recruits is the ultimate status as an elite program. It's weird. Idk.
you take everything to the absolute extreme. Like people are attacking you personally. you know what I mean when I say a slight "bump". Stop acting like everyone is attacking the program.
Old 02-08-2018, 11:13 AM   #36
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

Quote:
you take everything to the absolute extreme. Like people are attacking you personally. you know what I mean when I say a slight "bump". Stop acting like everyone is attacking the program.
We have built what we are now off of transfers, borderline Top 100 guys according to sites, diamond in the rough types, and filling our roster to deepen our rotation. It has worked very well. I legitimately get confused by this stuff. I think it's backwards. That's my opinion. I look at 52-8 and say whatever you are doing to get to that, do that. I care what happens on the court. The opinions of rankers on Scout, 247, and Rivals mean less and less to me the more I see our program operate. So if we are a Top 5/10 team and our move is to bring in this guy, I'll assume that's how this program operates to get to a Top 5/10 ranking. I get that it makes you and others nervous. But a healthy dose of program guys and a full roster offer a high floor. Obviously Evans leaving early is cool, but you see the hole it leaves. If we get 5* talent, we'll be running into that much more often...which is obviously a first world problem, but that should also make people nervous when looking ahead bc there's such a more significant emphasis on year by year recruiting. That's not to say I wouldn't want one and done types sometimes or whatever. But what people are hoping for is basically the perfect program. Not sure how realistic that is. We know what works for us. And it has worked. So sorry for having an attitude that I'll take more of the same when it comes to recruiting. And if you aren't talking about one and dones, then you must be talking about Clark, Evans, Cumberland level recruits? We have those.

Also when the first thing I read about is how pathetic it is that we would recruit someone like Hardnett, yeah it does feel like people are attacking the program. And I'll act however I want btw. Don't read it if you don't like it. I couldn't care less what you think.
Old 02-08-2018, 11:20 AM   #37
cincyguy13
Epic Member

Quote:
We have built what we are now off of transfers, borderline Top 100 guys according to sites, diamond in the rough types, and filling our roster to deepen our rotation. It has worked very well. I legitimately get confused by this stuff. I think it's backwards. That's my opinion. I look at 52-8 and say whatever you are doing to get to that, do that. I care what happens on the court. The opinions of rankers on Scout, 247, and Rivals mean less and less to me the more I see our program operate. So if we are a Top 5/10 team and our move is to bring in this guy, I'll assume that's how this program operates to get to a Top 5/10 ranking. I get that it makes you and others nervous. But a healthy dose of program guys and a full roster offer a high floor. Obviously Evans leaving early is cool, but you see the hole it leaves. If we get 5* talent, we'll be running into that much more often...which is obviously a first world problem, but that should also make people nervous when looking ahead bc there's such a more significant emphasis on year by year recruiting. That's not to say I wouldn't want one and done types sometimes or whatever. But what people are hoping for is basically the perfect program. Not sure how realistic that is. We know what works for us. And it has worked. So sorry for having an attitude that I'll take more of the same when it comes to recruiting. And if you aren't talking about one and dones, then you must be talking about Clark, Evans, Cumberland level recruits? We have those.

Also when the first thing I read about is how pathetic it is that we would recruit someone like Hardnett, yeah it does feel like people are attacking the program. And I'll act however I want btw. Don't read it if you don't like it. I couldn't care less what you think.
Tough guy
Old 02-08-2018, 11:26 AM   #38
cincyguy13
Epic Member

Quote:

You took me saying, “ I think the recruiting is fine but would like a slight bump”, and somehow turned it in to an attack on the program. Nice work
Old 02-08-2018, 11:52 AM   #39
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarradJ21 View Post
I'm not worried about rankings either but when you are hearing Frankie just drained 8 3s the other night and holds offers from Texas A&M and someone else I cant remember and hearing some Juco names that shooting very well from behind the arc and are playing extremely well and hold offers from some very good school then you hear this dude compared to Shaq Thomas, shooting 50% from the free throw line, and has offers from St Bonnie and Buffalo you don't get too excited about it. I get it the T Moore comparison which is great. Again, I just feel as of late we are hearing some serious names including Tevian Jones, so I wouldn't be thrilled about this unless it was late summer and we needed someone, but hey prove me wrong.
On the Shaq Thomas comp:

Shaq couldn't been a way better player had he ever learned how to get arc on his shot. So unless this guy has that specific problem, it's hard to compare anyone to Shaq Thomas imo. If it's based on athleticism, that's completely fine then. Thomas was in the exact wrong system for him, playing next to Caupain. He wasn't built for that. So if this guy is a long-term prospect (4/5 years), he could end up fitting in well here I think. Bc our style is different now with our PG play. And bringing in Logan Johnson will just continue that. So a Shaq Thomas type works in a pressing, defensive swarming, 10 deep rotation type team. And if we have a monster like Nsoseme on the defensive glass, he really could play the 4. Then any lack of outside shooting could be less as a problem, as it develops to at least a respectable point.

I don't know a ton about this guy and neither does anyone else on here. But he's coming for a visit. It's that serious. I'd take him as our 12th/13th scholarship guy as we bring him along as a guy who could contribute as an upperclassman. Beats not using the scholarship. And we also may have another opening if Evans does leave, so that still leaves us 2 spots. Who is to say we couldn't still bring in Policelli, Mahan, a transfer, someone else valuable in the spring.
Old 02-08-2018, 11:53 AM   #40
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

Quote:
You took me saying, “ I think the recruiting is fine but would like a slight bump”, and somehow turned it in to an attack on the program. Nice work
Your take is lazy and thoughtless.