Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 04-23-2018, 03:14 PM   #21
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

WAITE HOYT 2 is on a distinguished road
I'll have to wait to see how everyone looks after the off season. Really expecting some guys to improve and not having seen any of the new guys it is really hard to make a minutes judgement.
WAITE HOYT 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 03:23 PM   #22
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
This is pretty much what I hope for too. Hopefully Fredericks is good. First year guy under Mick though. Seems like we should chop 1/3 off of all stats to account for that.

first thing i thought when i saw his videos is we could play small now. he seems like a willing and capable rebounder (none of the other guards are both those things).

if we don't run and gun next year i dont have the slightest clue how we score any points. brooks would have to make a massive jump. as of now we don't have a single big on the roster than can post, catch, and score.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 03:38 PM   #23
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
first thing i thought when i saw his videos is we could play small now. he seems like a willing and capable rebounder (none of the other guards are both those things).

if we don't run and gun next year i dont have the slightest clue how we score any points. brooks would have to make a massive jump. as of now we don't have a single big on the roster than can post, catch, and score.
We will go slow in all big games and Mick will say it's bc he doesn't want Cumberland to get tired. So just be ready for that.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 03:58 PM   #24
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

Quote:
We will go slow in all big games and Mick will say it's bc he doesn't want Cumberland to get tired. So just be ready for that.
I think a lot will depend on the players. I do think that he will continue to take the air out of the ball when we have a lead especially if we are effective defensively.
Old 04-23-2018, 04:17 PM   #25
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAITE HOYT 2 View Post
I think a lot will depend on the players. I do think that he will continue to take the air out of the ball when we have a lead especially if we are effective defensively.
Bc why learn anything from the historic loss?
Old 04-23-2018, 04:49 PM   #26
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

Quote:
Bc why learn anything from the historic loss?
What he may have learned is 11 minutes is a little to long. 5 minutes is another matter. Jake the most frustrating thing for me in that loss was our refusing to drive the ball to the hoop. We had 4 fouls on them with just under 5 minutes gone in the half. We should have fouled them out and been salting that game away at the foul line. 12 of our last 15 shots were jumpers. I would have loved to hear what Mick was telling them. I can not believe it was wind the clock down and launch jumpers. Evans went from getting to the rim at will to settling for jumpers.

Anyway there is a time to slow the game down. Creating possessions in a game when you have a lead can be a bad thing. Knowing when is the right time is the key.

Last edited by WAITE HOYT 2; 04-23-2018 at 04:52 PM.
Old 04-23-2018, 04:55 PM   #27
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

Quote:
What he may have learned is 11 minutes is a little to long. 5 minutes is another matter. Jake the most frustrating thing for me in that loss was our refusing to drive the ball to the hoop. We had 4 fouls on them with just under 5 minutes gone in the half. We should have fouled them out and been salting that game away at the foul line. 12 of our last 15 shots were jumpers. I would have loved to hear what Mick was telling them. I can not believe it was wind the clock down and launch jumpers. Evans went from getting to the rim at will to settling for jumpers.
Our spacing was horrible. We could afford to shoot 3s there if they were good shots.

This wasn't the only game Mick tried to burn so much clock. He did it with 11 minutes left in the 1st half at Houston. When we go to that style, we never turn it off. We never snap out of it.
Old 04-23-2018, 05:00 PM   #28
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

Quote:
Our spacing was horrible. We could afford to shoot 3s there if they were good shots.

This wasn't the only game Mick tried to burn so much clock. He did it with 11 minutes left in the 1st half at Houston. When we go to that style, we never turn it off. We never snap out of it.
There is a fine line. I have seen many a team never regain momentum after shutting it down. To his defense he had the number 2 ranked defense in the nation. In his wildest dreams I can't imagine him thinking they could erase that deficitt. What was frustrating for me was we had to have watched them erase a 17 point lead against Texas.
Old 04-23-2018, 05:06 PM   #29
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

Quote:

Jake I don't mind taking a 3 in that spot if your open but after we tried to get to the rim. Drawing fouls and shooting FT's is how you end those kind of games Not taking low percentage shots. We played right into their hands. We got cold and they didn't have to defend or worry about foul trouble.
Old 04-23-2018, 05:06 PM   #30
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

Quote:
There is a fine line. I have seen many a team never regain momentum after shutting it down. To his defense he had the number 2 ranked defense in the nation. In his wildest dreams I can't imagine him thinking they could erase that deficitt. What was frustrating for me was we had to have watched them erase a 17 point lead against Texas.
Again, just goes to show we aren't learning anything.