Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

View Poll Results: What seed will UC get this year in the Tournament?
1-4 24 38.71%
5-8 35 56.45%
9-16 3 4.84%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-13-2016, 08:34 AM   #191
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Troy Caupain needs to decide once and for all that's he's done losing. We've lost 22 times in the last 2 years. That's is a ton of losses, especially for an AAC team. I know it would drive Bulldog nuts when Caupain would smile after making critical mistakes. To me, it's a sign of immaturity. Hopefully with his career dwindling down, we see a more cold-blooded, methodical leader in Caupain. We saw it more towards the end of the year, but he has to play with those kind of guts in every game. And he needs to demand it from his teammates as well.

I think we might see Kyle Washington as this kind of leader as well. He doesn't seem like he's messing around.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 09:35 AM   #192
coachpipe
Banned

coachpipe is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
Troy Caupain needs to decide once and for all that's he's done losing. We've lost 22 times in the last 2 years. That's is a ton of losses, especially for an AAC team. I know it would drive Bulldog nuts when Caupain would smile after making critical mistakes. To me, it's a sign of immaturity. Hopefully with his career dwindling down, we see a more cold-blooded, methodical leader in Caupain. We saw it more towards the end of the year, but he has to play with those kind of guts in every game. And he needs to demand it from his teammates as well.

I think we might see Kyle Washington as this kind of leader as well. He doesn't seem like he's messing around.
I personally dont see it that way. When troy makes a bad pass or gets a bad foul he usually smiles yes. But I see him smiling because of what he saw to do the thing he did. If its a bad pass, its usually because it was a second late or early. Which means he saw something that would have been really nice, and just missed it by a second. I believe he is smiling because of what he almost had, not because he messed it up.
coachpipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 12:13 PM   #193
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

WAITE HOYT 2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by coachpipe View Post
I personally dont see it that way. When troy makes a bad pass or gets a bad foul he usually smiles yes. But I see him smiling because of what he saw to do the thing he did. If its a bad pass, its usually because it was a second late or early. Which means he saw something that would have been really nice, and just missed it by a second. I believe he is smiling because of what he almost had, not because he messed it up.
Agree completely. A smile a smirk whatever. Have no issue with his effort. NONE!!!! Are we really going to start judging players by body language and facial expressions? The Kid shows up every game.
WAITE HOYT 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 12:20 PM   #194
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAITE HOYT 2 View Post
Agree completely. A smile a smirk whatever. Have no issue with his effort. NONE!!!! Are we really going to start judging players by body language and facial expressions? The Kid shows up every game.
Yes Waite. I am. Show me a guy who smiles, and I'll show you a guy who loses. It's about the level of intensity and confidence. The only time he should be smiling on the court is when he clinches a conference title. I'd be willing to bet that Evans and Washington won't smile a single time after a mistake.

Last edited by jacobkdoyle; 04-13-2016 at 12:23 PM.
Old 04-13-2016, 12:31 PM   #195
coachpipe
Banned

Quote:
Yes Waite. I am. Show me a guy who smiles, and I'll show you a guy who loses. It's about the level of intensity and confidence. The only time he should be smiling on the court is when he clinches a conference title. I'd be willing to bet that Evans and Washington won't smile a single time after a mistake.
You will have a hard time getting recruits if you make it known they arent allowed to have fun playing the game they love. And watch troy when he smiles after a mistake. He usually always yells my bad and usually, like I said above, its usually a smile of...Damn, so close to being a nice play.

But to judge someone based on how they react to situations you have never been in is something i tend to try and not do. Since, I cannot say how I would react in a situation I have never been in, nor never will be in

Not to mention, why nit pick the best player on the team? Not saying Caupain will ever be the Joey Votto, but thats like saying Joey should never smile after a strikeout, you would never see Jay Bruce do that. People react to situations differently, it really has no effect on how they play, and really doesnt mean anything. Sometimes they smile because they didnt like the call, sometimes they smile because it was a great pitch, sometimes they break their bat, sometimes they chest bump an umpire.

Last edited by coachpipe; 04-13-2016 at 12:38 PM.
Old 04-13-2016, 12:33 PM   #196
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachpipe View Post
You will have a hard time getting recruits if you make it known they arent allowed to have fun playing the game they love
No man. It's not about that at all.
Old 04-13-2016, 12:35 PM   #197
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:

I don't look at the smile as Troy thinking it's okay to make mistakes at all. I see it has him recognizing he can do better. Personally I love his attitude on the court. I think he cares about winning more than anyone I can think of on the team.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 12:39 PM   #198
Ryno99
Elite Member

Ryno99 is on a distinguished road
Really, is this what we've got to argue about now? Different people react to things differently, who knows what is in his head. Who cares what his face shows, what is important is what he does going forward, and learning from the situation.
Ryno99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 12:40 PM   #199
coachpipe
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
I don't look at the smile as Troy thinking it's okay to make mistakes at all. I see it has him recognizing he can do better. Personally I love his attitude on the court. I think he cares about winning more than anyone I can think of on the team.
Agree. No player wants to lose
Old 04-13-2016, 12:40 PM   #200
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
I'd argue very hard that Evans was the most competitive player on the team last year and I don't think it's even close.

I'm not saying he thinks mistakes are okay. I'm saying it shows a lack of confidence/swagger/whatever you want to call it. A Bearcat senior leader needs to be an a**hole on the court. Excuse my language, but that's just how I see it. I know Caupain has an outgoing personality and is a good kid. I'd just like to see the late-season mean streak all the time.