Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Basketball Recruiting > Recruiting Profile Archives > 2016 Recruiting Profiles

Old 05-31-2016, 10:22 AM   #1011
Bearcat_NTS
Epic Member

Bearcat_NTS will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearcatSpaniard513 View Post
Someone should start a GoFundMe page for Mick to get a private jet lol
Why? So he can go interview for other jobs more easily? It's not going to help him recruit...
Bearcat_NTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 10:23 AM   #1012
BearcatSpaniard513
Elite Member

BearcatSpaniard513 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAITE HOYT 2 View Post
All reasonable expectations. Hope Mick is able to raise the bar over the next two years. He has got some good talent in the starting line up. Needs to develop the bench and add some depth. If he can I think he will again compete for the conference title and could have a nice run in tourney. My expectations are to compete for conference title and make the dance. Especially as we are configured now. Like everyone else I want league dominance and high seeds but I have my own understanding of why that is not a reasonable demand at this time. I'm pleased with our Coach and team but like everyone else I want more as well.
Not to keep comparing us to X, but with the success they've had recently I think it's suitable with the comparable budgets. I'd rather miss the tourney once every couple years and make a deep run to the Elite 8 when we do get in than lose in the first round every year. If they can do it, we should be doing it similarly or better.
BearcatSpaniard513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 10:30 AM   #1013
Ryno99
Elite Member

Ryno99 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Not to keep comparing us to X, but with the success they've had recently I think it's suitable with the comparable budgets. I'd rather miss the tourney once every couple years and make a deep run to the Elite 8 when we do get in than lose in the first round every year. If they can do it, we should be doing it similarly or better.
I would agree, BS513, I wonder if there's any feasible way to compare resources? I know Mack has access to a private jet whenever he'd like. Not sure how other resources compare.
Ryno99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 10:57 AM   #1014
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I was just thinking about whether or not we can find a coach who can recruit better. We don't have a massive sports budget, we aren't Kansas or Kentucky, it's not a private school, our fan base is split in many directions etc. The last person who coached and recruited well here had to take chances on some players with attitude problems or perhaps grade or graduation issues.

Xavier has had some of those players recently. I don't see Cronin changing his game plan...so it will be hard for him to score nice recruiting classes under his current philosophy...not that it's a bad philosophy. He's done well to keep players out of trouble and get them a diploma. He's above board and doesn't lie to them about playing time etc. They represent UC well...but we are not reaching the heights we want to. For these reasons I think we should temper our optimism about getting top 10 recruiting classes under Cronin.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 11:47 AM   #1015
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
I was just thinking about whether or not we can find a coach who can recruit better. We don't have a massive sports budget, we aren't Kansas or Kentucky, it's not a private school, our fan base is split in many directions etc. The last person who coached and recruited well here had to take chances on some players with attitude problems or perhaps grade or graduation issues.

Xavier has had some of those players recently. I don't see Cronin changing his game plan...so it will be hard for him to score nice recruiting classes under his current philosophy...not that it's a bad philosophy. He's done well to keep players out of trouble and get them a diploma. He's above board and doesn't lie to them about playing time etc. They represent UC well...but we are not reaching the heights we want to. For these reasons I think we should temper our optimism about getting top 10 recruiting classes under Cronin.
-How do we know what his tells recruits about playing time, etc? Just an example...Jenifer's quote when he committed was all about getting lots of PT as a FR.

-Top 10 recruiting classes should never be the expectation. There are probably 4 schools that can realistically hope for that with any regularity.

There's an in-between step imo. People like to say "You expect us to be Kansas, Kentucky, Duke, etc"...as if that's the next and only step up. I don't think it is. To me, improving recruiting doesn't mean we go from where we are to getting Top 10 classes. It'd mean landing more Top 100 players and consistently having Top 25ish classes (when you factor in transfers). We aren't there. And to the point where the fans are treated like we're stupid for even having the nerve to expect it. The next step isn't becoming a blue-blood. The next step includes being more competitive in a non-major conference, and producing players that can actually hope to get drafted. Kind of sucks that we missed out on all the conversation these past couple weeks about whether guys will leave early, or stay in school. Lots of guys can test the waters now, and it isn't just players from top schools and conference. We are 100% left out of that conversation every year bc we just don't develop players that the NBA would have any interest in. Kind of a bummer. It'd be fun to have one of those players every once in a while. Doesn't have to be every year. Doesn't have to be a one and done. Doesn't have to be a lottery pick. Doesn't even have to be a guy who ends up leaving early...but maybe someone who is highly thought of enough to just go through the process. I don't think that's too much to ask, and it's a step that doesn't mean we "expect to be Duke".

Last edited by jacobkdoyle; 05-31-2016 at 11:49 AM.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 12:27 PM   #1016
#BearcatNation
Epic Member

#BearcatNation is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
-How do we know what his tells recruits about playing time, etc? Just an example...Jenifer's quote when he committed was all about getting lots of PT as a FR.

-Top 10 recruiting classes should never be the expectation. There are probably 4 schools that can realistically hope for that with any regularity.

There's an in-between step imo. People like to say "You expect us to be Kansas, Kentucky, Duke, etc"...as if that's the next and only step up. I don't think it is. To me, improving recruiting doesn't mean we go from where we are to getting Top 10 classes. It'd mean landing more Top 100 players and consistently having Top 25ish classes (when you factor in transfers). We aren't there. And to the point where the fans are treated like we're stupid for even having the nerve to expect it. The next step isn't becoming a blue-blood. The next step includes being more competitive in a non-major conference, and producing players that can actually hope to get drafted. Kind of sucks that we missed out on all the conversation these past couple weeks about whether guys will leave early, or stay in school. Lots of guys can test the waters now, and it isn't just players from top schools and conference. We are 100% left out of that conversation every year bc we just don't develop players that the NBA would have any interest in. Kind of a bummer. It'd be fun to have one of those players every once in a while. Doesn't have to be every year. Doesn't have to be a one and done. Doesn't have to be a lottery pick. Doesn't even have to be a guy who ends up leaving early...but maybe someone who is highly thought of enough to just go through the process. I don't think that's too much to ask, and it's a step that doesn't mean we "expect to be Duke".
While that has been pretty true in the past, I like to think we have a few current players that will get looks. Clark will be on radars if he can get consistent with his jumper. Evans has the size and potential. Cumberland is still tough to judge, as he hasn't played a game, but we may have something there. Unless there's a big leap, I'm not sure Caupain is NBA-material. So I see where you're coming from, but I believe we're in a position where we've got a few guys that can get there. Other than SK, I don't think we've been able to say that in a while.
#BearcatNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 01:23 PM   #1017
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by #BearcatNation View Post
While that has been pretty true in the past, I like to think we have a few current players that will get looks. Clark will be on radars if he can get consistent with his jumper. Evans has the size and potential. Cumberland is still tough to judge, as he hasn't played a game, but we may have something there. Unless there's a big leap, I'm not sure Caupain is NBA-material. So I see where you're coming from, but I believe we're in a position where we've got a few guys that can get there. Other than SK, I don't think we've been able to say that in a while.
Yes all very true. Evans seems like the best prospect to me. Maybe if Clark has a monster year he can take a look at his options. I think I remember someone saying he's a little older for his grade, so it'd be great if he could get his name out there a little after this upcoming season. I just saw names all over Twitter the past few weeks and I don't see why our players should always be completely excluded from that conversation.

Last edited by jacobkdoyle; 05-31-2016 at 01:27 PM.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 01:29 PM   #1018
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post

I can't say I know what he tells recruits but I haven't heard anyone say they were promised playing time or a starting position. Jenifer may very well have expected to play because of his own confidence. I would be more inclined to believe what Cane Broome had to say (paraphrasing)...the staff didn't blow smoke up his rear end about playing time. I'm sure everyone is told if they work hard and are the best option at their position they will find the court.

I'm not saying UC cannot be a place that can land top 10 classes...I'm just saying I don't think Cronin's recruiting style lends itself to that happening (at least very often or as often as we would like). I do believe you are right that we should be able to build momentum and improve recruiting...but it's going at a snails pace.
Old 05-31-2016, 01:38 PM   #1019
indydoug

indydoug is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
My expectations are the same for the program but I'm with you on this one. Until Cronin proves he can raise the bar...I won't be expecting a Final Four run or yearly conference champs from his teams. We have some pretty good players but I don't think we are deep enough. I think we can do it with 3 and 4 year players but we need to have 8+ deep with quality. I don't see quality depth this year. I think we have 4 quality D1 players right now. Can we find some depth?

Jenifer? Can he improve his decision making?

Cumberland? Can he be D1 ready as a frosh?

KJ? Not expecting a big jump here but he would be a better backup

Scott? Can he give us 10 quality minutes at the 4?

Moore? Can he work hard and back up the 5 for ten quality minutes?

Brooks? Can he be a better option than Moore at the 5?
How many of those Final 4 runs has UC had in the last 50 years? ONE.....so no you shouldn't expect that yearly.
indydoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 02:25 PM   #1020
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by indydoug View Post
How many of those Final 4 runs has UC had in the last 50 years? ONE.....so no you shouldn't expect that yearly.
Just to clarify...

I said I don't expect (a) Final Four run (or) yearly conference championships.