Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-03-2019, 07:55 PM   #1411
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Jaevin is likely the 2nd best player on the team right now. If we don’t start both Cumberland’s, Scott and Williams I might just pull off Brannens mask and find Cronin there. I don’t care who the 5th starter is.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 07:59 PM   #1412
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by z_bearcat View Post
Jarron, Jaevin and Williams are three players competing for two spots on the roster. If Brannen plans an up-tempo and running style of play, those three guys can substitute for each other and stay fresh all game long. Perhaps that is the plan for them.
If you rotate those three and they only play SG/SF, it means they will average at most a 26.66 minutes per game - assuming Jarron is above 30 minutes, the other two would average 25 or less. I don't think Jaevin is coming here to play 25 minutes and I doubt Keith is going to be under 30 either.

But let's continue the assumption. At PG you have McNeal and MAW sharing minutes. McNeal is a bit of a mystery, but his most recent statline was a poor assist/TO ratio and below average 3-point shooting (and not good from 2 either). MAW is a freshman and in HS was more of a SG than a PG. Do you really trust either of them to bring the ball up more then you'd trust Jarron or Keith? And if you do, is it worth having a bad 3-point shooter or a freshman on the court instead of Jaevin/Keith?

I don't think there are any questions. Jarron plays PG and initiates the offense when he's in (though sometimes Jaevin, Keith, McNeal or MAW bring the ball up the court - similar to how we used Broome last year). We will have to figure out what works when Jarron sits, but it will probably be McNeal, Keith or possibly MAW initiating the offense.

Jaevin, Keith, Scott and Diarra are the other obvious starters. The first three because they are the next 3 best players, Diarra because there is no other option (I'd gladly be proven wrong, but I don't consider Valpo's backup center an option to start). Diarra also has tons of potential, so there's a long-term benefit to giving him a lot of minutes and hoping he figures it out.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 08:38 PM   #1413
BorisTheCat

BorisTheCat is on a distinguished road
Measurements added to the roster

Class: 2020 2021 2022 2023

Cumberland --- 6'5" / 205
Cumberland --- 6'3" / 185
Scott -------- 6'8" / 225
McNeal ------- 6'1" / 190
Sorolla ------ 7'0" / 240

Williams ----- 6'5" / 210
Moore -------- 6'5" / 195

Diarra ------- 6'9" / 215
Vogt --------- 7'1" / 240

Gillam ------- 6'7" / 225
Hardnett ----- 6'8" / 210
Davenport ---- 6'7" / 205
Adams-Woods -- 6'3" / 185
BorisTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 08:50 PM   #1414
TheLongHaul
Epic Member

TheLongHaul is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post
If you rotate those three and they only play SG/SF, it means they will average at most a 26.66 minutes per game - assuming Jarron is above 30 minutes, the other two would average 25 or less. I don't think Jaevin is coming here to play 25 minutes and I doubt Keith is going to be under 30 either.

But let's continue the assumption. At PG you have McNeal and MAW sharing minutes. McNeal is a bit of a mystery, but his most recent statline was a poor assist/TO ratio and below average 3-point shooting (and not good from 2 either). MAW is a freshman and in HS was more of a SG than a PG. Do you really trust either of them to bring the ball up more then you'd trust Jarron or Keith? And if you do, is it worth having a bad 3-point shooter or a freshman on the court instead of Jaevin/Keith?

I don't think there are any questions. Jarron plays PG and initiates the offense when he's in (though sometimes Jaevin, Keith, McNeal or MAW bring the ball up the court - similar to how we used Broome last year). We will have to figure out what works when Jarron sits, but it will probably be McNeal, Keith or possibly MAW initiating the offense.

Jaevin, Keith, Scott and Diarra are the other obvious starters. The first three because they are the next 3 best players, Diarra because there is no other option (I'd gladly be proven wrong, but I don't consider Valpo's backup center an option to start). Diarra also has tons of potential, so there's a long-term benefit to giving him a lot of minutes and hoping he figures it out.
No way should KW be bringing the ball up the court. His handles aren't nearly good enough under pressure.
TheLongHaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 09:52 PM   #1415
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:

I think we start with The best 5 and then figure out who can run point and who can’t. We obviously aren’t going to run a half season with someone who can’t do the job. I don’t care if that is Williams or either Cumberland. If we need Mcneal or MAW it will become apparent and changes can be made. Same with Diara at the 5. We may have to go Sorolla or Gillam etc if one or the other isn’t getting it done. The situation is fluid not set in stone.
Old 06-03-2019, 09:54 PM   #1416
Emperor Snapper

Emperor Snapper is on a distinguished road
Given the current roster, there are four sorts of lineups they can play:

A "no true PG" lineup: Cumberland x 2, Williams, Scott, Diarra. You could also have Sorolla in as one of the bigs or Moore/Davenport as a wing in this sort of lineup

A "no true C" lineup: a PG, Cumberland x 2, Williams, Scott. Hardnett or Gillam could also be your big in this sort of lineup

A "no true C/ no true PG" lineup with Cumberland x2, Williams, Scott, and say, Gillam

A "traditional" lineup with a PG, 2 of (Cumberland, Cumberland, and Williams), Scott, and Diarra (or Sorolla).

My guess is that the traditional lineup won't get a ton of play. The other combos just seem better, in part because they allow the 4 best players (Scott, Williams, and the Cumberlands) to all be on the floor together.

Last edited by Emperor Snapper; 06-03-2019 at 10:04 PM.
Emperor Snapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 10:04 PM   #1417
Emperor Snapper

Emperor Snapper is on a distinguished road
It is possible that they have a better team in 19-20 than they did last year. 3 of 5 starters return - Williams has a good chance to improve; Scott was playing his best BB at the tail end of the season, and seems like a good fit for Brannen's style. Jarron is Jarron.

Jaevin has a good chance to be better than Jenifer. Obviously a different player, but more physically capable on defense and a better scorer - Jenifer had a heck of a year but he was limited on offense to mostly spot-ups, and even then he needed room.

Diarra is almost certainly a downgrade from Brooks, although he has potential and brings more offensive versatility.

The bench was terrible last year. Broome was the only reliable player; Johnson brought defense and energy but little offense (would have been nice to have him back). Moore was a disaster, Fredricks a non-factor, and Nsoseme was shockingly deficient on the offensive end. The bench this year is largely unknown, and I'm not sure there is anyone who will provide Broome-like offense. However, if one or two of the freshmen step up, and maybe Moore finally does something positive, it could equal last year's bench without too much trouble.
Emperor Snapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 10:58 PM   #1418
TheRealMick
Elite Member

TheRealMick is on a distinguished road
Williams and Tre handles below average to non existent, I highly doubt either push pace dribbling. Cumberland has shaky handles at best, he very seldom was asked bring ball up under pressure. Going out getting two PGs more likely knowing Jaevin was coming let's us know coach seen we needed help bad ball handling. It was one of his biggest improvements he wanted see from team was basic ball handling.
TheRealMick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 07:08 AM   #1419
Vanhoop

Vanhoop is on a distinguished road
Yep agreed that's one of the reasons and also that he gets in the paint that I've been saying Mcneal will get lots more time than people think. He's the starter 100% guaranteed.

Last edited by Vanhoop; 06-04-2019 at 07:45 AM.
Vanhoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 07:27 AM   #1420
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:

I agree with most of your analysis and conclusion. I just hope Diara is serviceable at the 5 because it's going to be tough putting out a lineup that has McNeal, Cumberland x 2, Scott and Williams. 6'1", 6'3", 6'5", 6'8" and 6'5. Or another lineup that has Sorolla starting.

Just as I write that I think back to Gates Sr year (our only S16 under Cronin) we went 6'0", 6'3", 6'3", 6'4", and 6'9". But Gates was completely different from Scott and was built for the paint. The writing was on the wall here for Cronin. A year he was kind of forced to play small and it had the best outcome for him in the dance. Coincidence? Maybe. But it seems Brannen will be more likely to embrace playing this way.

I don't see any scenario that makes sense to force one of your best 4 players to the bench. When you have 6 really good players it's kind of cool to sub to strength. When you have only 4...you put them on the floor!!