Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2019, 03:20 PM   #1871
TheRealMick
Elite Member

TheRealMick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alum2013 View Post
Do you think it's possible over the last few years people, coaches, and kids have realized Mick is never going to change? With seeing the way the game is moving more towards offense and the type if kids that get drafted you need to show an offensive game/athleticism and that is very difficult in Micks system compared to others. I think the book eventually came out on Mick not knowing how to coach offense and that has lead to a decrease in offensive minded players.
I just posted basically same thing on other thread. Mick coached for guts didn't bail on him to go pro early. He tried his best do everything possible so Lance wasn't one and done. Nail in coffin with mick was Lawrence situation also, after that he seen all his high level recruits just never seemed pan out with him.
TheRealMick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 05:05 PM   #1872
beeman7467

beeman7467 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alum2013 View Post
Do you think it's possible over the last few years people, coaches, and kids have realized Mick is never going to change? With seeing the way the game is moving more towards offense and the type if kids that get drafted you need to show an offensive game/athleticism and that is very difficult in Micks system compared to others. I think the book eventually came out on Mick not knowing how to coach offense and that has lead to a decrease in offensive minded players.
Absolutely. It’s why I think he struggles at UCLA. They want to win 98-90, not 60-58. Unless he’s winning titles (it can be done, see Virginia), it will quickly get old. He can get all the elite athletes he wants, but if you can’t teach them how to score (or it’s not part of your philosophy), good luck.
beeman7467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 06:21 PM   #1873
Alum2013
Elite Member

Alum2013 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeman7467 View Post
Absolutely. It’s why I think he struggles at UCLA. They want to win 98-90, not 60-58. Unless he’s winning titles (it can be done, see Virginia), it will quickly get old. He can get all the elite athletes he wants, but if you can’t teach them how to score (or it’s not part of your philosophy), good luck.
Agreed, I see it the same way. With multiple NBA talents on one team we managed an okay offense. That many good players and all we got was okay. Personally I believe it was in spite of Cronin we averaged that many and he typically will hold an offense back rather than cultivate into something productive.
Alum2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 05:43 AM   #1874
sirthought

sirthought is on a distinguished road
Looks like Hardnett is transfering to Buffalo. No idea if he'll get a waiver to play right away. I wish him the best of luck.
sirthought is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 09:01 AM   #1875
juckerrules
Elite Member

juckerrules is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirthought View Post
Looks like Hardnett is transfering to Buffalo. No idea if he'll get a waiver to play right away. I wish him the best of luck.
Good for him - they were a really good team last year, perhaps better than UC...32-4 beat ASU in tourney then ran into a bad match-up against Texas Tech who were an OT loss from being Nat champs
juckerrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 09:38 AM   #1876
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Going to take a different approach to minutes this year since it's so hard to figure out how Brannen will use them and how much development certain players have gone through. Three tiers

25+ minute players

Cumberland
Scott
Williams
Cumberland

12-24 minutes

McNeal
Diara
Sorolla
Harvey

0-11 minutes

Moore
Prince
MAW
Davenport

You never know who is going to step up and play beyond expectation and which players (if any) are not ready to contribute. The above list is also my general rank for most to least minutes as I see it now with limited info.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 06:21 PM   #1877
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
Going to take a different approach to minutes this year since it's so hard to figure out how Brannen will use them and how much development certain players have gone through. Three tiers

25+ minute players

Cumberland
Scott
Williams
Cumberland

12-24 minutes

McNeal
Diara
Sorolla
Harvey

0-11 minutes

Moore
Prince
MAW
Davenport

You never know who is going to step up and play beyond expectation and which players (if any) are not ready to contribute. The above list is also my general rank for most to least minutes as I see it now with limited info.
I agree with your tier one, but the only one I'd drop Harvey and Sorolla from tier two and replace them with Moore and Prince.

I think Moore is going to get more minutes then a lot of people are expecting, perhaps even being our go to sixth man. He can play PF in a small lineup and plays solid defense. All he needs is for his shot to start falling. I doubt he would still be here if he was expected to get less than 10 minutes per game, especially seeing as Brannen doesn't seem adverse to pushing players out.

Harvey missed much of summer practice and has been rehabbing an ankle injury for the last seven months. I know people are expecting a lot because he's a four star, but I don't see him doing much this year.

Sorolla I see as situational. I don't think he brings much on the offensive end. Some games he will get 15-20 minutes when we need to go big, but I think he averages a bit under 10. I've been watching some of his games and I still don't see anything special from him. His entire offense is set screens and roll to the basket - catch and dunk if the defense breaks-down covering him. He can't post-up well - though he does turn it over a lot when he tries - can't shoot and is lazy on going for rebounds.

Prince we will see on, but I think for this year he is the freshman likely to get the most minutes. PF doesn't have much depth and he has the size to body guys inside.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 09:48 AM   #1878
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post
I agree with your tier one, but the only one I'd drop Harvey and Sorolla from tier two and replace them with Moore and Prince.

I think Moore is going to get more minutes then a lot of people are expecting, perhaps even being our go to sixth man. He can play PF in a small lineup and plays solid defense. All he needs is for his shot to start falling. I doubt he would still be here if he was expected to get less than 10 minutes per game, especially seeing as Brannen doesn't seem adverse to pushing players out.

Harvey missed much of summer practice and has been rehabbing an ankle injury for the last seven months. I know people are expecting a lot because he's a four star, but I don't see him doing much this year.

Sorolla I see as situational. I don't think he brings much on the offensive end. Some games he will get 15-20 minutes when we need to go big, but I think he averages a bit under 10. I've been watching some of his games and I still don't see anything special from him. His entire offense is set screens and roll to the basket - catch and dunk if the defense breaks-down covering him. He can't post-up well - though he does turn it over a lot when he tries - can't shoot and is lazy on going for rebounds.

Prince we will see on, but I think for this year he is the freshman likely to get the most minutes. PF doesn't have much depth and he has the size to body guys inside.
Moore isn’t a ball handler that can push the break. Brannen is going to want his guards to push pace. Most of Moore’s value comes as a shooter so it’s going to have to click for him. Harvey and C2 can both handle better
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 01:57 PM   #1879
TheRealMick
Elite Member

TheRealMick is on a distinguished road
Happy Independence Day Brothas
TheRealMick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 02:58 PM   #1880
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
Moore isn’t a ball handler that can push the break. Brannen is going to want his guards to push pace. Most of Moore’s value comes as a shooter so it’s going to have to click for him. Harvey and C2 can both handle better

If Moore is going to get virtually no minutes, why is he still here? Moore provides value as a veteran and as a solid defender who can guard positions 1-4. If his shot starts falling, his ability to stretch the floor would more than compensate for weaker ball handling. Brannen isn't going to forget about defense and good defenders are still going to be valuable in his system.

We don't really know how valuable ball handlers will be with Brannen. Under Brannen, NKU's teams have been ranked 143 (2019), 159 (2018), 189 (2017) and 220 (2016) in adjusted tempo. I'm a little skeptical that Brannen is going to have UC playing faster than he played at NKU.

Going off the players we have (since it's hard to get players who can do everything), there doesn't seem to be much of a focus on any one skill.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote