Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 08-23-2012, 12:50 PM   #51
more cowbell

more cowbell is on a distinguished road
Lyons was shown the door because he refused to play shooting guard. The program has had a rough year, but to say the program should be eliminated by the NCAA is foolish.
more cowbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 12:53 PM   #52
psax889906
Epic Member

psax889906 will become famous soon enoughpsax889906 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to psax889906
FWIW, IMO:

I hate the attention that crap like this gets from the media and all outlets. I fully realize that this is regarding UC's most bitter rival in basketball- or any sport for that matter. However, it is slightly disturbing to me that I post relevant, constructive and informative posts in multiple threads this morning about the upcoming UC football season and those continue to sit, barely touched while this thread balloons in size. I'm not sure if it's simply the Xavier thing- or a basketball thing... or maybe a microcosm of society and why we see mostly negative, disturbing stories on the six O' Clock news; Because people like to watch train wrecks. It's frustrating that a forum with this tight knit a community of members it appears would rather sit around and banter about how corrupt/ethically challenged another school's athletic program has become rather than discuss aspects of it's own program's upcoming season. I understand message boards are meant for speculation, but I don't understand how news like this is worthy of 5 pages in two days while half a dozen threads about the upcoming football season have equated to less than that combined. I apologize if this offends anyone, but frankly I'd come to expect better substance from this site in the past.
psax889906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 12:58 PM   #53
Bearcat22
Elite Member

Bearcat22 is on a distinguished road
I really wish this one was just a dumb recruiting violation or conduct that was detrimental, without any victims but the people who committed the act, that we could all make fun of X for that rather than what has allegedly transpired.

I don't see this and the current title IX investigation as an XU basketball problem, this is a larger systemic Xavier University problem. As a UC fan, I root against X all the time. There's no joy in this one. If there has been a coverup of other misconduct of this nature and they let victims suffer to save face, then I'll be rooting for the FBI to expose and punish all those who tolerated and supported this culture. I would say this about any school.
Bearcat22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 01:04 PM   #54
TheLivingLegend
Epic Member

TheLivingLegend will become famous soon enoughTheLivingLegend will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by psax889906 View Post
FWIW, IMO:

I hate the attention that crap like this gets from the media and all outlets. I fully realize that this is regarding UC's most bitter rival in basketball- or any sport for that matter. However, it is slightly disturbing to me that I post relevant, constructive and informative posts in multiple threads this morning about the upcoming UC football season and those continue to sit, barely touched while this thread balloons in size. I'm not sure if it's simply the Xavier thing- or a basketball thing... or maybe a microcosm of society and why we see mostly negative, disturbing stories on the six O' Clock news; Because people like to watch train wrecks. It's frustrating that a forum with this tight knit a community of members it appears would rather sit around and banter about how corrupt/ethically challenged another school's athletic program has become rather than discuss aspects of it's own program's upcoming season. I understand message boards are meant for speculation, but I don't understand how news like this is worthy of 5 pages in two days while half a dozen threads about the upcoming football season have equated to less than that combined. I apologize if this offends anyone, but frankly I'd come to expect better substance from this site in the past.
UC is a basketball school, not a football school. Football doesnt hold the relevancy that basketball does.
Old 08-23-2012, 01:06 PM   #55
mplebanon
Elite Member

mplebanon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by psax889906 View Post
FWIW, IMO:

1. Me, personally, I'm not into college football much. Very little interest. Fairweather fan that gets on the bandwagon when UC or the Bengals are doing very well. Just a personal preference.

2. I'm a huge college basketball fan. Diehard UC fan all the way back to before the Roger McClendon days.

3. I think Dave nailed it on this thread. When UC suffered through the Huggs/Zimpher decimation of the b-ball program, there was ZERO sympathy, much less any reasonable understanding from Xavier fans. They reminded us yearly how our program was sucking, while ignoring the why it was.

4. Because of item #3 that I listed, I have no sympathy for what they are going through. Train wreck? Sure. It's like Osama Bin Laden in a train wreck. UC's most bitter, arrogant, and childish rival is finally have the chickens come home to roost, and I see nothing wrong with enjoying watching their demise.

That is all.
mplebanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 01:34 PM   #56
JasonS
Football Moderator

JasonS has a spectacular aura aboutJasonS has a spectacular aura aboutJasonS has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by more cowbell View Post
I am in no way defending the actions of Dez Wells, but didn't Miami have a similar issue a couple years ago. Are you saying Miami should be kicked out of the ncaa?

Just like I don't think the actions of Octavius Ellis are indicative of UC basketball, I don't think this is an indictment of Xavier basketball. For those bringing up the coaches moving on, Richardson is moving to Louisville, Davis moved closer to home. If you are thinking about Kelsey, the guy is still a huge X fan. Take a look at this article. Might make you understand why he took some time off.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask...ege-basketball

Neither school is perfect and if you think it is better for UC if X is terrible, you are sorely mistaken. As a fan of both, I think Cincinnati should be seen as one of the top cities for college basketball in the country.
How is this even possible? And how did this comment get overlooked until now?
JasonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 01:39 PM   #57
TheLongHaul
Epic Member

TheLongHaul is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonS View Post
How is this even possible? And how did this comment get overlooked until now?
He/She has mentioned this in the past. How it's possible? Not sure.
TheLongHaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 03:17 PM   #58
bearcat18
Elite Member

bearcat18 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLongHaul View Post
One incident isn't indicative of the Xavier program. Multiple incidents are. Three assistants leaving the program in a couple years is unheard of, especially since only one would even be considered a promotion and that is because he is leaving for a better coach. Davis moved closer to home. Taking a demotion to be closer to home as an assistant coach either tells me you don't like where you currently are or you are in the wrong profession. How long you think it will be before he takes another job further away from home? Kelsey left because of personal reasons then took another job away from home within a year. Lyons was shown the door and didn't have too good of things to say about Mack. CJ Anderson had issues, now Wells. The program, especially under Mack, has issues.
Not only assistant coaches leaving, but players too. Canty, Latham, and McKenzie all transferred out in the past couple years. None of these players were can't miss prospects/impact players from day 1, but I'd bet your ass Mack wishes he had at least one or two of these guys now. No one knows whether they were forced out or left on their own. But there's speculation Mack forced at least Latham to transfer and that was one of reasons Kelsey left, among other things.
bearcat18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 03:32 PM   #59
ralph1950
Epic Member

ralph1950 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLivingLegend View Post
UC is a basketball school, not a football school. Football doesnt hold the relevancy that basketball does.
Have you been living in a cave TLL? Football is close to all that matters, basketball has become a poor step child to football. It is that way nationwide and at UC.

Apparently you missed all the conference switching by schools, 100% about football and cash from TV contracts, basketball given zilch consideration. None of the teams added to the Big East were added for their basketball programs.

College football is the number 2 watched sport behind the NFL, (granted a distant second as nothing can match the NFL's numbers). College basketball is a far distant 6th.

It is a new world TLL, football is king, sorry that you slept through the change.
ralph1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 04:29 PM   #60
cincycpaw
Epic Member

cincycpaw will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralph1950 View Post
None of the teams added to the Big East were added for their basketball programs.
Well, that is just not true. But the rest of the post was spot on unfortunately.
cincycpaw is offline   Reply With Quote