Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Football > Bearcat Football

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2019, 02:11 AM   #1
Lawrugby
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 153
Lawrugby is on a distinguished road
UC v. UCF - Historical win

What an incredible win tonight. I am sure we have not seen anything like it since we lost Kelley. In fact that is how far back we need to go to see UC football beat a ranked team. But this is better than beating Pitt on the road IMO. We ended the longest conference win streak in history! I could not be happier with Fick. I loved all of his play calling. Style is way in the back seat behind winning ala Tressle ball and the defense was stunning with 4 take away and the dismantling of a freshman phenom quarterback. Also best crowd in the history of Nippert and in front of the ESPN nation. My sister watches it at a bar in Chicago and did not have to ask for it to be put on. The other one was at the game. Very tough games remaking against Houston, Memphis and Temple but if we keep this level of play up we are certainly favored to be in the championship. Much to look forward to. My question is with this win has football turned a corner to be the signature UC program now? We have what may be the best coach outside the P5 with some hopes of holding on to him. We proved we can play on a national stage under lights and beat a ranked team. Meanwhile Basketball seems to be a far cry from claiming any of the above. I think it is time we woke up and smelled the pig skin. For the foreseeable Football is king at UC. Letís embrace it - Go Cats!


Last edited by Lawrugby; 10-05-2019 at 02:25 AM.
Lawrugby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 03:39 AM   #2
sirthought
Senior Member
 
sirthought's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Down by river
Posts: 113
sirthought is on a distinguished road
Great win. Good game. Excellent atmosphere.

I can tell Lawrugby is a football fan and that's great. The team deserves a pat on the back. But since you are bringing up comparisons, I don't think this team is as strong as 2009...and that Pitt game was crazy good.

But really, why compare? It doesn't really matter. Fick does have this program advancing. And it was great to see lots of big plays from younger players. Shows they are going to be having playmakers for years to come. If they can win the next four it will be a big step forward, given the competition.
sirthought is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 11:47 AM   #3
Btown Bearcat
Senior Member
 
Btown Bearcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 461
Btown Bearcat is an unknown quantity at this point
No we havenít seen this kind of program shift since Kelly I donít wanna hear ucf isnít that good their offense is dam good. Itís crazy to think fickle just now getting to point where his recruits arenít under classman
Btown Bearcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 12:44 PM   #4
Alum2013
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 964
Alum2013 is on a distinguished road
You act like our basketball team hasn't beat ranked teams in televised games. This is the like first time UC football has done it in 10 years. It was a great win, hopefully a sign of better things to come, but get real man.
Alum2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 04:44 PM   #5
Mcginnjw
Epic Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 1,540
Mcginnjw is on a distinguished road
What a great win last night. The crowd was awesome and looked/sounded great on prime time TV. Fickell is building something great here. I really hope he stays to see the program become what it can be.
Mcginnjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 11:57 PM   #6
Lawrugby
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 153
Lawrugby is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alum2013 View Post
You act like our basketball team hasn't beat ranked teams in televised games. This is the like first time UC football has done it in 10 years. It was a great win, hopefully a sign of better things to come, but get real man.
I would like to know the last time the basketball team beat a top 20 team when it was unranked. It has been a while.
Lawrugby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 09:32 PM   #7
Emperor Snapper
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 222
Emperor Snapper is on a distinguished road
UCF had the longest streak of 30+ point games since 1936 snapped on Friday night. It was an absolute clinic on how to defend a hyper-fast spread offense. They used 27 players on defense, forced UCF to work down the field one short pass at a time (until the final possession), and strategically took risks.

The offensive line is a mess, which may spell trouble from time to time, but the skill positions on offense are in the best shape in a decade, and the defense may be the best they have ever had, and that is with their best player out for the year, and their best CB just getting on the field for the first time Friday night.
Emperor Snapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 12:08 AM   #8
Jon Rycek
Epic Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 1,818
Jon Rycek is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrugby View Post
What an incredible win tonight. I am sure we have not seen anything like it since we lost Kelley. In fact that is how far back we need to go to see UC football beat a ranked team. But this is better than beating Pitt on the road IMO. We ended the longest conference win streak in history! I could not be happier with Fick. I loved all of his play calling. Style is way in the back seat behind winning ala Tressle ball and the defense was stunning with 4 take away and the dismantling of a freshman phenom quarterback. Also best crowd in the history of Nippert and in front of the ESPN nation. My sister watches it at a bar in Chicago and did not have to ask for it to be put on. The other one was at the game. Very tough games remaking against Houston, Memphis and Temple but if we keep this level of play up we are certainly favored to be in the championship. Much to look forward to. My question is with this win has football turned a corner to be the signature UC program now? We have what may be the best coach outside the P5 with some hopes of holding on to him. We proved we can play on a national stage under lights and beat a ranked team. Meanwhile Basketball seems to be a far cry from claiming any of the above. I think it is time we woke up and smelled the pig skin. For the foreseeable Football is king at UC. Letís embrace it - Go Cats!
First part was great, but what the hell are you talking about with the basketball team? We were a 2 seed 2 years ago, weíve beat tons of ranked teams on the road and at home. And I went to midnight madness after the football game, weíve got some seriously talented new players coming in to go with the good core we already have. The basketball team is not going to be a push over by far this year, honestly I believe they will be better than last season after what I saw Friday night. Might take a month or so to work out the kinks with all the new guys, but weíve got depth and some great players that could actually help us make a run in the tourney this year. That was a great win by the football program, but basketball still rules at UC.
Jon Rycek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 12:16 AM   #9
Jon Rycek
Epic Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 1,818
Jon Rycek is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrugby View Post
I would like to know the last time the basketball team beat a top 20 team when it was unranked. It has been a while.
2016-2017 when we beat Iowa State on the road. So 3 years ago, not a while by any means, considering we were ranked the entire season after that, and half the season after that.
Jon Rycek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 10:14 AM   #10
Alum2013
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 964
Alum2013 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrugby View Post
I would like to know the last time the basketball team beat a top 20 team when it was unranked. It has been a while.
Last year when we played #11 ranked Houston and beat them. I don't know why it matters that we were unranked because really all that does it make your argument even more invalid. The basketball team has been consistently ranked for years.

And if we're going to talk about best sport programs at UC it would clearly be the Track and Field team.

Last edited by Alum2013; 10-07-2019 at 10:26 AM.
Alum2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., - All material on this Cincinnati Bearcat discussion forum is strictly for entertainment purposes only. This site and any pages within are in no way affiliated with the University of Cincinnati. Any images, copyrights, or trademarks used on this site are used under the "Fair Use Provision" of the Copyright Act for purposes of comment, criticism, and news reporting.