Queens_NYC
Epic Member

Queens_NYC is on a distinguished road
Maui Invitational Game #1: Arizona

Monday, November 21st, 2022
11:30 PM
Lahaina Civic Center
ESPN2

The Bearcats will return to Hawaii this week for their second ever appearance in the 39th annual Maui Invitational (their Maui debut was in 2009).

They'll face off against the #14 Arizona Wildcats (3-0) who are led by 2nd-year head coach and former long-time Gonzaga assistant, Tommy Lloyd.

The Wildcats return two starters from last season's 33-win Sweet 16 team (that lost to Houston 72-60) in 6'5 playmaking wing Pelle Larsson and versatile 6'11 4-man Azuolas Tubelis.

They've gotten off to a hot start so far by winning their opening three games by an average score of 105.3-76.7, but none of their initial opponents finished 21/22 with KenPom rankings about 200.

During that opening stretch Arizona has shot 62.3% from the field as a team and 46.7% from deep.

After Arizona, the Bearcats will take on either Ohio State or San Diego State on Tuesday.
Queens_NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 05:48 AM   #2
Queens_NYC
Epic Member

Queens_NYC is on a distinguished road
The Wildcats are 8.5 point favorites.
Queens_NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 07:22 AM   #3
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
If I was a betting man, I'd bet on Arizona to win by more than 8.5.

We are going to be undersized and with our rebounding issues that's not promising. If Lakhin gets into early foul trouble, it's probably over for us. Arizona starts two guys bigger than Lakhin and has two 7-footers on the bench. We need Davenport to get hot and win his mismatch. If their 6'11" guy can matchup with Davenport on defense, he's going to dominate him inside on the other end.

Not sure I'll stay up late to watch this game.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 11:12 AM   #4
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post
If I was a betting man, I'd bet on Arizona to win by more than 8.5.

We are going to be undersized and with our rebounding issues that's not promising. If Lakhin gets into early foul trouble, it's probably over for us. Arizona starts two guys bigger than Lakhin and has two 7-footers on the bench. We need Davenport to get hot and win his mismatch. If their 6'11" guy can matchup with Davenport on defense, he's going to dominate him inside on the other end.

Not sure I'll stay up late to watch this game.
This is not the type of matchup we want for JD I don't think. I would probably start Hensley or at least be ready to bring him in early and often. He might be the only guy we have that can guard their PF.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 12:22 PM   #5
sirthought

sirthought is on a distinguished road
Are they redshirting Tolentino?

Surprised we haven't really heard much about him yet. I know he wasn't viewed as super talented yet, but I figured they'd want to get him some floor time before conference games began. It would be helpful to have another big body with fatigue and fouls.
sirthought is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 12:43 PM   #6
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirthought View Post
Are they redshirting Tolentino?

Surprised we haven't really heard much about him yet. I know he wasn't viewed as super talented yet, but I figured they'd want to get him some floor time before conference games began. It would be helpful to have another big body with fatigue and fouls.
Still deciding I think. He was dressed in uniform in the last game I think which was different from street clothes before that. Could come down to injury...if one of the bigs get hurt. But it could also be that Hensley could be a better option right now as an emergency 5. I don't think fouls to give and fatigue should be a big deal with 3 guys available before Sage or Hensley though. 15-20 minutes should not be that hard. Especially if you use 5 minute intervals.
Old 11-21-2022, 07:14 PM   #7
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
This team is huge. Kerr Kriisa is the only major contributor under 6'5", and he's their best offensive player. Their big guys can score and rebound at a high level. Normally I would want to counter that by going small and quick with shooters, but we don't have that kind of roster. I've got no solutions here. No real keys to the game. Just hope that we shoot lights out and they go cold. An awful matchup for us.
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 07:30 PM   #8
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedziobs View Post
This team is huge. Kerr Kriisa is the only major contributor under 6'5", and he's their best offensive player. Their big guys can score and rebound at a high level. Normally I would want to counter that by going small and quick with shooters, but we don't have that kind of roster. I've got no solutions here. No real keys to the game. Just hope that we shoot lights out and they go cold. An awful matchup for us.
Agreed. I would like to see some mismatch opportunities but I don't see a lot of good one's for us. Smaller and not very quick. gonna have to shoot the lights out and play good D.
Old 11-21-2022, 10:51 PM   #9
TheLivingLegend
Epic Member

TheLivingLegend will become famous soon enoughTheLivingLegend will become famous soon enough
Ezipke not it.
TheLivingLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 11:00 PM   #10
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
We're holding are own so far, everyone besides Ezikpe - who looks like he shouldn't be playing at this level - has played well.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote