Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 01-10-2020, 10:09 AM   #111
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post
Or perhaps I am just better at evaluating players.
Says the guy that non stop bashes Vogt.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 10:15 AM   #112
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
30% from three is right there with 45% from 2. To your other point about Scott. In the paint and short range you take it all day long...but if you are about to shoot a mid range jumper...I would take a 30% 3 pt guy every time

we're shooting 52.7 % as a team from 2 this year. maybe in our old offense 30% from 3 was ok, but we can do much better than a .9 point per shot shot these days.

when we actually get a shot up and dont turn it over we're pretty efficient, we can do better than those low percentage shots.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 10:30 AM   #113
cincyalum2014
Elite Member

cincyalum2014 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Or perhaps I am just better at evaluating players. I was correct on Diarra. Diarra was one of the best defenders and rebounders on the team at the beginning of the year. He only had to figure it out on offense.

I think Harvey can improve, I just don't think it will happen this season (or at least not enough for him to deserve minutes). We are at mid-season and he still can't do anything right, the chances that he will figure out everything by March are slim-to-none. I think his injury last January that caused him to miss all of spring ball (and some of our summer practices) set him back a lot.
I thank god everyday we have you on this online forum to shed some of your expert evaluations with us that are far less qualified at evaluating 18-22 year old basketball players. I also wanted to thank you for taking time out of your day to explain to us your high level evaluations that are far superior to other people who write on the forum because I mean your qualifications of evaluating players speaks for itself. Brannen would be lucky to have you on his staff giving him top notch insight on the evaluation of his players.
cincyalum2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 11:07 AM   #114
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
we're shooting 52.7 % as a team from 2 this year. maybe in our old offense 30% from 3 was ok, but we can do much better than a .9 point per shot shot these days.

when we actually get a shot up and dont turn it over we're pretty efficient, we can do better than those low percentage shots.
We are crushing it on shots at the rim and probably even short range. Vogt and Sorolla and even Scott have been good to great. I am specifically talking about mid range here. Of course nobody likes the mid range jumper...but I would take the 30% three over that.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 11:19 AM   #115
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Or perhaps I am just better at evaluating players. I was correct on Diarra. Diarra was one of the best defenders and rebounders on the team at the beginning of the year. He only had to figure it out on offense.

I think Harvey can improve, I just don't think it will happen this season (or at least not enough for him to deserve minutes). We are at mid-season and he still can't do anything right, the chances that he will figure out everything by March are slim-to-none. I think his injury last January that caused him to miss all of spring ball (and some of our summer practices) set him back a lot.
Whether or not Diarra was better at certain things like defending the perimeter was never in question (to most anyone). But he was lost on offense per Brannen until recently didn't even know the plays. That speaks to me as a player that is not high BB IQ which means he will still have issues (after learning the plays) in a fast paced environment to make good decisions on the court. Knowing the offense is only half the requirement. He's coming along but he's still a 10 minute guy. He needs the game slowed down for him and games are not always like that...if ever. So he can provide us with good minutes right now...but we can see players with higher BB IQ's who still struggle to make the quick decisions Brannen asks for. Diara would be low on that list of decision makers right now.

Brannen told Diara he could not play him until he learned the offense...and now that he has a better handle on it...can play more. But knowing the offense was the minimum requirement...he has to make the right decisions within the game. Jarron is #1 at that. Diara is still trying to figure it out.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 12:59 PM   #116
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
This is a stupid fight.

No one cares if you were or wrong on the Diarra thing.

Let’s just play why helps us win on a game by game basis and go from there.

But the bright side is Vogt and Diarra can play together .

Vogt is an offensive beast tho.
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 02:32 PM   #117
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:

You should evaluate players for a living. Teams would be dying for your basketball knowledge.
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 04:48 PM   #118
Jon Rycek
Epic Member

Jon Rycek is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyguy13 View Post
You should evaluate players for a living. Teams would be dying for your basketball knowledge.
Yeah he could pick the most consistent player on every team and find a way that’s its their fault when anything goes wrong
Jon Rycek is offline   Reply With Quote