Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 04-18-2018, 12:45 PM   #71
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

WAITE HOYT 2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
That's always so funny to me. Oscar as a FR not being allowed to dominate.
I believe that was the rule until the early 70's sometime. I used to walk to the garden to watch him play as a kid and I swear he could have scored 50 a night. 6'5 and just backed everyone down and shot a fallaway jumper. He was just so much more talented then anyone playing at that time. Never played above the rim but just killed people with his size and strength as a guard in those days.
WAITE HOYT 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 12:54 PM   #72
indydoug

indydoug is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAITE HOYT 2 View Post
I believe that was the rule until the early 70's sometime. I used to walk to the garden to watch him play as a kid and I swear he could have scored 50 a night. 6'5 and just backed everyone down and shot a fallaway jumper. He was just so much more talented then anyone playing at that time. Never played above the rim but just killed people with his size and strength as a guard in those days.
Waite, he used to scrimmage with our team back in late 70's early 80's and he did same thing---back us down and shoot the one-handed fadeaway or pass for an easy bucket. And he was 40 or so then!
indydoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 12:57 PM   #73
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

WAITE HOYT 2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydoug View Post
Waite, he used to scrimmage with our team back in late 70's early 80's and he did same thing---back us down and shoot the one-handed fadeaway or pass for an easy bucket. And he was 40 or so then!
He was a monster. I saw him destroy some very good players.
WAITE HOYT 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 01:59 PM   #74
indydoug

indydoug is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAITE HOYT 2 View Post
He was a monster. I saw him destroy some very good players.
He also wasn't afraid to throw that off arm into your chest as he was backing you down!!
indydoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 02:54 PM   #75
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
what is a new assistant coach going to accomplish? (unless he is the main recruiter) The head coach will have the final say on the team and offense so it wouldn't matter how good a offensive mind he is, right?
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 02:56 PM   #76
Jon Rycek
Epic Member

Jon Rycek is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyguy13 View Post
what is a new assistant coach going to accomplish? (unless he is the main recruiter) The head coach will have the final say on the team and offense so it wouldn't matter how good a offensive mind he is, right?
Totally
Jon Rycek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 03:24 PM   #77
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I would like an assistant to either come on as recruiting coordinator or offensive coordinator.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 03:31 PM   #78
cincyguy13
Epic Member

Quote:
I would like an assistant to either come on as recruiting coordinator or offensive coordinator.
would our coach like this? or allow this? think everyone would like this just dont see it happening. people been asking for this for year
Old 04-18-2018, 03:44 PM   #79
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
would our coach like this? or allow this? think everyone would like this just dont see it happening. people been asking for this for year
Well he's been knocked out in the 1st weekend 6 years in a row, his highest paid assistant is struggling in recruiting, and his best team ever had the #49 offense. So if he's resistant to any changes, that's a concern.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 03:52 PM   #80
cincyguy13
Epic Member

Quote:
Well he's been knocked out in the 1st weekend 6 years in a row, his highest paid assistant is struggling in recruiting, and his best team ever had the #49 offense. So if he's resistant to any changes, that's a concern.
agree, you would think he tries something different but i have my doubts