Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 11-29-2018, 09:55 AM   #1
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Interesting Stats

I thought it might be fun to create a thread to post interesting stats when you find them. Player related, team related, coach related etc.

Example...Jenifer is #2 in the country in assist to turnover ratio only to Galen Robinson at Houston.

(Speaking of Houston) I inadvertently clicked on NBA link first and guess who I saw at the top? Gary Clark. LOL)

So I was looking at our history as a team under Cronin for 3% (on the T-Rank page). Most years are between 32.8 and 34.8. There were 3 years outside of that range. Last year was his best shooting team at 35.3% which gave us a lofty rank of 147th in the country. His worst was 2010 at 29.1% and 2013 was 31.6%.

This year we are at 34.8% which would tie for his 2nd best shooting team if that % holds. I would expect it to become harder not easier...but then again we started off missing shots I would normally expect us to make early on.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 10:08 AM   #2
GarradJ21
Epic Member

GarradJ21 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
I thought it might be fun to create a thread to post interesting stats when you find them. Player related, team related, coach related etc.

Example...Jenifer is #2 in the country in assist to turnover ratio only to Galen Robinson at Houston.

(Speaking of Houston) I inadvertently clicked on NBA link first and guess who I saw at the top? Gary Clark. LOL)

So I was looking at our history as a team under Cronin for 3% (on the T-Rank page). Most years are between 32.8 and 34.8. There were 3 years outside of that range. Last year was his best shooting team at 35.3% which gave us a lofty rank of 147th in the country. His worst was 2010 at 29.1% and 2013 was 31.6%.

This year we are at 34.8% which would tie for his 2nd best shooting team if that % holds. I would expect it to become harder not easier...but then again we started off missing shots I would normally expect us to make early on.
That is interesting. Going off the eye test alone I think many of us are blinded and spoiled by the two years prior to this one. Really, this team is good and can do work. I mean not top 15 caliber but def. 20 to 30 range IMO. I still would take this team over Kilpatrick's senior year as this has been discussed in other threads. Glad we are coming together.

Going back to my comment of noting being a top 15 team, maybe I am wrong, because SK's senior year we reached the point to #7 in the country. All-in-all rankings depend on whose hot at that time and who just lost and won.

Last edited by GarradJ21; 11-29-2018 at 10:10 AM.
GarradJ21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 11:16 AM   #3
Queens_NYC
Epic Member

Queens_NYC is on a distinguished road
Cumberland currently has the highest usage percentage in the AAC at 34.8%. The next highest is Quinton Rose at 31.3%.
Queens_NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 01:48 PM   #4
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
our 3 point % will probably go down, teams will play better defense and cumberland and jenifer will likely see their percents go down from here (especially cumberland and he shoots twice as many as anybody)

KW is probably about his realistic percentage, and broome is closer to his career average this year than he was last year.

if im other teams i would still only guard cumberland from deep and i'd expect his percent to fall back down to the 34-37% range.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 03:12 PM   #5
waterhead
Senior Moderator

I agree it's not going to get any easier. I would guess we might finish around 33% as a team.

Our volume shooters should be around 35% + or they shouldn't be volume shooters. Cumberland, Cane, and maybe Jenifer. The rest need to make over 30% and it would be nice to see Moore or Fredericks move into a volume role (2-3 attempts per game). I think Williams needs to limit his attempts like he has been as well as Scott and Johnson.

I haven't lost hope in Moore just yet and Fredericks seems to be gaining some confidence.
Old 11-29-2018, 03:16 PM   #6
mdchick
Epic Member

mdchick is on a distinguished road
Cumberland is going to be taking a lot of shots at the end of the shot clock that he will have to force up because he is the fail safe of this offense, so his % isn’t really going to tell you much honestly you can’t compare his 25 foot contested jumper with 2 seconds left on the shot clock to a brooks uncontested put-back dunk
mdchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 03:35 PM   #7
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Per the T-rank site...(Barttorvik)

We haven't lost a Quadrant 2, 3, or 4 game in the previous 2 seasons. We haven't lost a quad 3 or 4 game in 3 years. That is extremely consistent in games we are a decent favorite to win.

OSU is on the border of 1 and 2. UNLV is on the border of 2 and 3
Old 11-29-2018, 03:48 PM   #8
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queens_NYC View Post
Cumberland currently has the highest usage percentage in the AAC at 34.8%. The next highest is Quinton Rose at 31.3%.
Not only can he score but he is such a good passer as well. He does have high turnovers so far but it would be hard to take the ball out of his hands. He commands a lot of attention so it opens a lot of other things up when he has the ball.

Cronin has often said your best scorer is usually your best passer as well
Old 11-29-2018, 04:08 PM   #9
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
Not only can he score but he is such a good passer as well. He does have high turnovers so far but it would be hard to take the ball out of his hands. He commands a lot of attention so it opens a lot of other things up when he has the ball.

Cronin has often said your best scorer is usually your best passer as well

jarron's turnovers are usually lazy. its definitely not a lack of talent, but sometimes he has no business trying a pass but he just wings it anyway. i dont know if its laziness or a lack of focus, but he's been like this his entire career.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 05:12 PM   #10
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
jarron's turnovers are usually lazy. its definitely not a lack of talent, but sometimes he has no business trying a pass but he just wings it anyway. i dont know if its laziness or a lack of focus, but he's been like this his entire career.
He does get caught in the air a lot