Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-15-2021, 11:14 AM   #91
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post
Winning cures a lot, but I'm still not convinced. Let's see how we do against quality teams. We've dropped ~15 spots in kenpom over the last 4 games. It's the question of if we look good because of us or because of the bad teams we are playing.

We looked better this game, but UCF also looked horrible on defense. They had guys getting beat 1v1 over and over.

I'm still worried about next year, guys coming back and also the recruits. I'm more worried about next year than I am about this year, because we have already been eliminated from the NCAA tournament barring a miracle run in the conference tournament.

Hopefully waterhead is right that guys are committed. But I could see guys like Harvey, Tari and/or Diarra transferring at the end of the year. Especially if/when we start losing again when we start playing quality teams (and a loss or two to a bad team is not impossible, not like we've been blowing teams out).

Looking at the remaining schedule, I'm expecting 2-4. But I'm hoping for at least 3-3. I think the string of close wins to bad teams is making fans overestimated how good we actually are.

Onto Houston, unless we sneak a mid-week game in. I'm expecting a blowout loss, but let's hope I'm being pessimistic.
Diarra should leave. If he thinks he could play at another school, I wish him well. Seems like a great person. I’m guessing he doesn’t have as many options as you think he does. He could probably go to a Georgia state type school and play.

Last edited by cincyguy13; 02-15-2021 at 11:16 AM.
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 11:33 AM   #92
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Winning cures a lot, but I'm still not convinced. Let's see how we do against quality teams. We've dropped ~15 spots in kenpom over the last 4 games. It's the question of if we look good because of us or because of the bad teams we are playing.

We looked better this game, but UCF also looked horrible on defense. They had guys getting beat 1v1 over and over.

I'm still worried about next year, guys coming back and also the recruits. I'm more worried about next year than I am about this year, because we have already been eliminated from the NCAA tournament barring a miracle run in the conference tournament.

Hopefully waterhead is right that guys are committed. But I could see guys like Harvey, Tari and/or Diarra transferring at the end of the year. Especially if/when we start losing again when we start playing quality teams (and a loss or two to a bad team is not impossible, not like we've been blowing teams out).

Looking at the remaining schedule, I'm expecting 2-4. But I'm hoping for at least 3-3. I think the string of close wins to bad teams is making fans overestimated how good we actually are.

Onto Houston, unless we sneak a mid-week game in. I'm expecting a blowout loss, but let's hope I'm being pessimistic.
I don't think anyone is over estimating the wins. But coming off the layoff we are happy it's 4 wins and not something else. Not sure what Kenpom matters at this point. We aren't an at large team...just hope we can potentially sneak in with a tourney win or it's on to next year.

As for next year I think we are pretty well stacked from 1-4...so we need to find some impact bigs. We need more than 1.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 11:36 AM   #93
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyguy13 View Post
Convinced of what exactly?
Of a lot of things.

That we are any good.

That guys will still look good when we play a quality team. That Brannen is a good coach. That we've won games because we have improved and not because we've gotten a little bit luckier and played worse teams. The difference between a 2 point win or loss is a couple of plays, which could just be more luck more than anything.

For example, We beat Tulane because in the last seconds they had two guys fight each other for the offensive rebound, that would have resulted in an easy game winning layup if either one of them had backed off and just let the other guy have it. You have to put yourself in a position to get lucky, but sometimes the difference between a win and a loss is one bounce of a ball.

That we are in good shape for next year. That Harvey and Eason are happy and won't transfer at the end of the year.

That half the guys we've had look good will be any good when we face a quality team.

We've pulled out close wins against the relatively cupcake part of our schedule. I'd be happier to have gotten a blowout or two. But much like when we face cupcakes to start the year (in a normal year), the real test comes when we face good teams.

We will be a favorite in one or two of the next six (vs Tulane and maybe @ECU). Let's see how we do against the top half of the AAC before we start throwing any parties.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 11:37 AM   #94
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
I don't think anyone is over estimating the wins. But coming off the layoff we are happy it's 4 wins and not something else. Not sure what Kenpom matters at this point. We aren't an at large team...just hope we can potentially sneak in with a tourney win or it's on to next year.

As for next year I think we are pretty well stacked from 1-4...so we need to find some impact bigs. We need more than 1.
4...Eason/Davenport
3...Davenport/Harvey/Gabe
2...MAW/Harvey/Gabe/Mason
1...DD/Mike/MAW/Mason

We are good to go for at least 2 years 1-4 with no transfers. We all know we need some bigs to defend. So let's see what happens
Old 02-15-2021, 11:43 AM   #95
cincyguy13
Epic Member

Quote:
Of a lot of things.

That we are any good.

That guys will still look good when we play a quality team. That Brannen is a good coach. That we've won games because we have improved and not because we've gotten a little bit luckier and played worse teams. The difference between a 2 point win or loss is a couple of plays, which could just be more luck more than anything.

For example, We beat Tulane because in the last seconds they had two guys fight each other for the offensive rebound, that would have resulted in an easy game winning layup if either one of them had backed off and just let the other guy have it. You have to put yourself in a position to get lucky, but sometimes the difference between a win and a loss is one bounce of a ball.

That we are in good shape for next year. That Harvey and Eason are happy and won't transfer at the end of the year.

That half the guys we've had look good will be any good when we face a quality team.

We've pulled out close wins against the relatively cupcake part of our schedule. I'd be happier to have gotten a blowout or two. But much like when we face cupcakes to start the year (in a normal year), the real test comes when we face good teams.

We will be a favorite in one or two of the next six (vs Tulane and maybe @ECU). Let's see how we do against the top half of the AAC before we start throwing any parties.
Has anyone said we are good? I haven’t seen it.
Has anyone said brannen is a good coach? I’ve seen people say it’s too early to tell but I don’t think anyone has said, “this guy is great”.

The majority seem to think it’s a positive that they won some games, guys are showing some signs, and hopefully it continues.

Seem like you’re arguing with your self on some of these topics. No one is under the impression that these are groundbreaking victories.
Old 02-15-2021, 11:43 AM   #96
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
4...Eason/Davenport
3...Davenport/Harvey/Gabe
2...MAW/Harvey/Gabe/Mason
1...DD/Mike/MAW/Mason

We are good to go for at least 2 years 1-4 with no transfers. We all know we need some bigs to defend. So let's see what happens
I would add here that even if Eason and Harvey both transferred we would still be in decent shape. Not that we should be entertaining rumors like this.

Davenport would play the 4 if Eason left. We have a lot of guards right now and Harvey is 8th on team in mpg right now
Old 02-15-2021, 11:49 AM   #97
cincyguy13
Epic Member

Quote:
I would add here that even if Eason and Harvey both transferred we would still be in decent shape. Not that we should be entertaining rumors like this.

Davenport would play the 4 if Eason left. We have a lot of guards right now and Harvey is 8th on team in mpg right now
How did Harvey get in the transfer rumors? Are people just making things up at this point? I get that anyone could transfer in today’s game but all the sudden half our team is transferring?
Old 02-15-2021, 11:55 AM   #98
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Has anyone said we are good? I haven’t seen it.
Has anyone said brannen is a good coach? I’ve seen people say it’s too early to tell but I don’t think anyone has said, “this guy is great”.

The majority seem to think it’s a positive that they won some games, guys are showing some signs, and hopefully it continues.

Seem like you’re arguing with your self on some of these topics. No one is under the impression that these are groundbreaking victories.
Noone:

Critics: I guess CJB is the 2nd coming now right?

Noone: Excuse me??

Critics: We aren't a NC caliber team this year

Noone: Same??

Critics: I guess Vogt is your idol now

Noone: Say what??

Critics: What about those potential transfers next year (Eason/Harvey)?

Noone: huh??

Critics: Diara?

Nonone: Well let's not get ahead of ourselves...

Critics: Why is everyone so overjoyed??

Everyone: ?? ?? What now??
Old 02-15-2021, 11:58 AM   #99
cincyguy13
Epic Member

Quote:
Noone:

Critics: I guess CJB is the 2nd coming now right?

Noone: Excuse me??

Critics: We aren't a NC caliber team this year

Noone: Same??

Critics: I guess Vogt is your idol now

Noone: Say what??

Critics: What about those potential transfers next year (Eason/Harvey)?

Noone: huh??

Critics: Diara?

Nonone: Well let's not get ahead of ourselves...

Critics: Why is everyone so overjoyed??

Everyone: ?? ?? What now??
This is The exact conversations we have on this board.
Old 02-15-2021, 12:06 PM   #100
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
How did Harvey get in the transfer rumors? Are people just making things up at this point? I get that anyone could transfer in today’s game but all the sudden half our team is transferring?
Well he is not playing as much as he would like so...so...transfer is on the table I guess. Maybe it hasn't been verified (at all like Eason) but we all see the writing on the wall I think? I mean there was a rumor spread about it so we have to consider it to be true at the very least.

The more we repeat the rumor the more likely it becomes. That's how it works I think. Facts aren't important...

But someday someone will be right and we will have to hear about their 10% accuracy on predictions. I told you so...