Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

View Poll Results: What will be the outcome of the SMU game?
UC wins by 15+ 6 16.22%
UC wins by 10-14 12 32.43%
UC wins by 5-9 14 37.84%
UC wins by 1-4 3 8.11%
SMU wins 2 5.41%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-12-2018, 03:13 PM   #221
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Another sign of the IQ Evans plays with...yesterday we're pushing it down the floor, not a full blown transition opportunity, but we were on the move. And Evans sees Moore in front of him on the left side and waves him through to clear out via baseline to the other corner so we have spacing to start our possession. That's like having a coach on the floor. He has a tremendous understanding of how we need to be spaced. I don't even remember what happened on that possession but that's just one of those little things. The game moves slow enough for guys like him, Clark, and Cumberland that they not only do their own jobs, but can get other guys in position and teach them on the fly.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 03:22 PM   #222
lumberjack

lumberjack has a spectacular aura aboutlumberjack has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
It was nothing. They are friends. Jankovich said he did most of the talking and thinks we're a great team. He said Cronin owes him dinner lol. He said Cronin basically said he can't believe the injuries they're going through.

https://youtu.be/DG1_uW0ZpIQ

*If you watch I'd go to about 13:30. Ol Jank is pretty dejected the rest of the time.
I believe Mick said on the radio show that he thanked him for playing a lot of subs in the latter part of the game based on their injuries and fatigue.
Old 02-12-2018, 05:38 PM   #223
UCalum08
Epic Member

UCalum08 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to UCalum08
Quote:
It was nothing. They are friends. Jankovich said he did most of the talking and thinks we're a great team. He said Cronin owes him dinner lol. He said Cronin basically said he can't believe the injuries they're going through.

https://youtu.be/DG1_uW0ZpIQ

*If you watch I'd go to about 13:30. Ol Jank is pretty dejected the rest of the time.
While it is unfortunate in regards to all the injuries they have suffered. That was a little much by Jank to sulk for 15 minutes about it. Not to mention to complain about the NCAA taking scholarships. Maybe your past head coach shouldn't be so shady...
UCalum08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 11:15 PM   #224
Zdiddy513

Zdiddy513 is on a distinguished road
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8_F1XaEfNE
Just watched Mick's post-game comments and I couldn't believe he said he doesn't believe in home-court advantage. Considering how much he complained about fans not showing up the first few years and how he has thanked us in recent years it is just bizarre. Also the facts show that home teams win 75% of their games in college hoops which is ridiculous. I love how he isn't afraid to voice his opinion but he is way off here imo.
Zdiddy513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 11:25 PM   #225
mdchick
Epic Member

mdchick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zdiddy513 View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8_F1XaEfNE
Just watched Mick's post-game comments and I couldn't believe he said he doesn't believe in home-court advantage. Considering how much he complained about fans not showing up the first few years and how he has thanked us in recent years it is just bizarre. Also the facts show that home teams win 75% of their games in college hoops which is ridiculous. I love how he isn't afraid to voice his opinion but he is way off here imo.
He said in the pregame presser he thought 20% of the responsibility is the home crowd, 80% are players. He’s been coaching for almost 30 years I’m sure he knows it makes somewhat of a difference
mdchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 11:29 PM   #226
Zdiddy513

Zdiddy513 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdchick View Post
He said in the pregame presser he thought 20% of the responsibility is the home crowd, 80% are players. He’s been coaching for almost 30 years I’m sure he knows it makes somewhat of a difference
I saw that as well and think that's a fair assessment but it's completely opposite of what he said here lol. "I believe if they are 81-5 at home it's because of their coaching and their talent, not their crowd." Just was kind of shocking to me he would say that.
Zdiddy513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 08:27 AM   #227
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zdiddy513 View Post
I saw that as well and think that's a fair assessment but it's completely opposite of what he said here lol. "I believe if they are 81-5 at home it's because of their coaching and their talent, not their crowd." Just was kind of shocking to me he would say that.
It’s not shocking though. Zero fans played In those games, but nick Moore, shake Milton, semi O, and sterling brown did.

A crowd can get a player going but none the less it’s the player that wins games.

We just proved it. They have a great crowd and yet very little talent on the floor and we kicked their ass.
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 09:17 AM   #228
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

WAITE HOYT 2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
It’s not shocking though. Zero fans played In those games, but nick Moore, shake Milton, semi O, and sterling brown did.

A crowd can get a player going but none the less it’s the player that wins games.

We just proved it. They have a great crowd and yet very little talent on the floor and we kicked their ass.
The crowd can help with focus but in the end I agree with you it is the players who impacts the game. It's fun to believe crowd noise and such rev's up the players but I have to believe if he isn't motivated by the competition and what is at stake then crowd noise won't help.

With that all said there is a advantage to playing at home but I don't think it is the crowd as much as other factors. Travel, shooting background, routines and so forth.
WAITE HOYT 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 09:26 AM   #229
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Another sign of the IQ Evans plays with...yesterday we're pushing it down the floor, not a full blown transition opportunity, but we were on the move. And Evans sees Moore in front of him on the left side and waves him through to clear out via baseline to the other corner so we have spacing to start our possession. That's like having a coach on the floor. He has a tremendous understanding of how we need to be spaced. I don't even remember what happened on that possession but that's just one of those little things. The game moves slow enough for guys like him, Clark, and Cumberland that they not only do their own jobs, but can get other guys in position and teach them on the fly.
It is definitely a luxury to have guys like Evans and Clark out there helping coach do his job. It doesn't hurt that Cumberland doesn't need a lot of coaching either. Kyle is getting much better with his decision making.

You probably wouldn't think all of this by watching coach pace the sidelines...but I also think it's a very good thing he is out there directing traffic the whole game. Especially on D and press etc. He still has to remind players to run to their spot at times...but it can be complicated at times. If he can avoid watching us make mistakes (real time) that will hurt us...why would we not want him to be yelling on the sidelines all game long? I watch other coaches sit on the bench with their mouth shut most of the game. I would imagine their players are making mistakes too during the games that could be corrected before something bad happens.

I think he micro manages defense and press but not so much on offense. He lets the players figure that out more on their own and this is where Evans and Clark come in handy.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 09:33 AM   #230
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAITE HOYT 2 View Post
The crowd can help with focus but in the end I agree with you it is the players who impacts the game. It's fun to believe crowd noise and such rev's up the players but I have to believe if he isn't motivated by the competition and what is at stake then crowd noise won't help.

With that all said there is a advantage to playing at home but I don't think it is the crowd as much as other factors. Travel, shooting background, routines and so forth.
I agree for the most part but at times the crowd does help. When we got down 17 or 18 points against Houston the crowd was energizing us after almost every made basket. Hearing a loud crowd can put a boost of adrenaline in some of the players. Some of them may not need it as much. On the road you have to be able to provide your own adrenaline. I think Kyle feeds off the crowd and I think Moore does a little as well. Gary, Jake, and Jarron are usually in business mode no matter where we are.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote