Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Basketball Recruiting > Recruiting Profile Archives > 2017 Recruiting Profiles
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2016, 02:39 PM   #301
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

WAITE HOYT 2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by david aka the TYZ View Post
I don't dislike the class. I get the grumblings on wanting a "bigger name" but at the end of the day there's plenty of great players that aren't recruited highly. Basketball, especially the college game, is as much a chess match (meaning mental and gameplanning) as it is pure athleticism. The reason small schools can be successful is because they can build rosters of competent players that complement each other and play smarter than their opponents that might seek the highlight reel plays rather than play fundamental basketball. With all that said, we're not a small school. Great coaches can still get the more talented players to come in and play fundamental, smart basketball. Coach K is obviously the start and end of the best at that to me. So moving forward if Cronin is the answer we need more success on the court, championships in the conference and sweet sixteens and at least occasionally better in March. That turns those three and occasional four star players into four and occasional five star players. I really like everything I hear about Keith Williams. I think he is the type of player that will play well regardless of rank or where he goes to school. Like had he ended up at Valparaiso or somewhere, we'd hear his name in March eventually. So great get on Mick's part. We have another scholly and I'd love to see a successful year this year allow us to snag a big name in the spring. And there is a realistic thought that Clark and/or Evans could blow up and leave early after this year. Not saying it will or won't happen or they should if given the opportunity but you never know. As far as Broome goes, I'm not as hyped as maybe I should be. I just still don't know if we'll ever see Mick unleash the offense. A player like Broome is like Jenifer, Shaq, Gelawn, Davis, Wilks, JJ, Kelvin Gaines, etc. Recruited for an uptempo, run madly all over the court style and yet can't be successful here under Mick's half court gameplan. I get why he has backed off it each and every year and part of me agrees, but at some some point the style you recruit for and the style you play has to match. Just saying. You can argue Broome's numbers he put up already and I will point to what Gelawn did his senior year last year at another school. Certain players can play well elsewhere but might not fit here. I hope I'm completly wrong and it is just speculation on my part, but that's my honest opinion on Broome right now. I'm just afraid he might be handcuffed here. And with that said I have no problem with whatever style we play, you just have to recruit for that style exclusively and own it.
dave I see your thought. Time will tell on Broome. Everything I have heard is he is a good player. Also heard JJ has made a jump in his game. Should be a fun season.
WAITE HOYT 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 05:28 PM   #302
JackBauer151
Epic Member

JackBauer151 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to JackBauer151
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsidecat View Post
Oh please, the same people that are hyping this "Great" recruiting class were saying the same thing about these guys.

It's what this board does. Mick lands someone and he becomes the new "diamond in the rough" guy. Mick has such a "great eye for talent" and so on and so on.

Read the Broome thread.
Do you have a reading comprehension problem? My post compares Evans, Clark, Cumberland, and Washington to those players. Not the ones in the current 2017 class. Move along.
JackBauer151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 06:37 PM   #303
prancer

prancer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackBauer151 View Post
Recruiting has been pretty damn good recently by the way. Clark, Evans, Cumberland, and Washington are all big time D1 players. Much better than JD3, Chek, Jermaine Sanders, Shaq Thomas, Deshaun Morman, Jamaree Strickland, and Gelwan Guyn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackBauer151 View Post
Do you have a reading comprehension problem? My post compares Evans, Clark, Cumberland, and Washington to those players. Not the ones in the current 2017 class. Move along.
Why make that comparison though? At best it's useless, at worst it's horribly misleading. You're comparing the best players on current/recent teams to the worst players ("busts") on previous teams. Of course if you do that it's going to look like recruiting is improving. I can play that game too in the opposite direction...

"O man, Cronin sucks at recruiting now. Remember when we got guys like Gates, Vaughn, Lance, Parker, Cash, JJ, SK,...?? Now we only get Quadri, Shaq, Nyarsuk, Morman, Jenifer (time will tell), ..."

If you want to see whether Mick has improved in recruiting over his tenure, a fair comparison would be to compare the contributors now to the contributors then, or the non-contributors now to the non-contributors then. Don't mix the two. That leaves your agenda swinging in the wind. If you do a fair comparison, I think the quality is comparable between now and ~8 years ago. I'm not a the-sky-is-falling-fire-Mick fan, and I think he has brought in a number of high quality guys in recent years. But I think given where he is, with what he has, with how much time he's had, there should be more stars next to the names of UC commits.

P.S. I think Williams looks like a good player.
prancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 07:01 PM   #304
JackBauer151
Epic Member

JackBauer151 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to JackBauer151
Quote:
Originally Posted by prancer View Post
Why make that comparison though? At best it's useless, at worst it's horribly misleading. You're comparing the best players on current/recent teams to the worst players ("busts") on previous teams. Of course if you do that it's going to look like recruiting is improving. I can play that game too in the opposite direction...

"O man, Cronin sucks at recruiting now. Remember when we got guys like Gates, Vaughn, Lance, Parker, Cash, JJ, SK,...?? Now we only get Quadri, Shaq, Nyarsuk, Morman, Jenifer (time will tell), ..."

If you want to see whether Mick has improved in recruiting over his tenure, a fair comparison would be to compare the contributors now to the contributors then, or the non-contributors now to the non-contributors then. Don't mix the two. That leaves your agenda swinging in the wind. If you do a fair comparison, I think the quality is comparable between now and ~8 years ago. I'm not a the-sky-is-falling-fire-Mick fan, and I think he has brought in a number of high quality guys in recent years. But I think given where he is, with what he has, with how much time he's had, there should be more stars next to the names of UC commits.

P.S. I think Williams looks like a good player.
My comment was not a "Pro Cronin" message. It was just pointing out a FACT. The recruiting has been better over the last couple classes than the previous ones. NOT ALL OF THEM. The 2011 and 2012 classes were absolute busts (Even though I loved Titus). They kept the program in neutral. Which is Cronin's fault by the way. Shaq and Jermaine were great kids but even as seniors were role players at best. The last three classes have had SIGNATURE signings in each of them. Gary, then Jacob, then JC and Kyle. Recruiting has gotten better as of late. It's just a fact and that was the point I was making.
JackBauer151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 12:46 PM   #305
Bearcat513
Elite Member

Bearcat513 is on a distinguished road
Short video showing Williams: https://twitter.com/PTHoopTeam/statu...75081620750336
Bearcat513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 12:56 PM   #306
2bearcatdad

2bearcatdad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcat513 View Post
His shot already looks better to me than it did in his earlier videos. It looks like he's filled out a little more as well.

Looks like a scorer. If he's good defensively, I think he can contribute early. I like him.
2bearcatdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 01:28 PM   #307
Ryno99
Elite Member

Ryno99 is on a distinguished road
Looks to have a fairly fluid motion and fairly quick release. I like what I see there.
Ryno99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 03:46 PM   #308
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcat513 View Post
Looks pretty light on his feet.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 04:54 PM   #309
UCalum08
Epic Member

UCalum08 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to UCalum08
Looks like he has some Dwayne Wade style going on. Love what I have seen so far.
UCalum08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 06:15 PM   #310
Bearcats Sports

Bearcats Sports is on a distinguished road
His left elbow when he shoots looks very odd and makes his shot look off. That is something that I would have to think is easy to change. At the same time, as long as the ball goes in and your release is good, how you look when shooting shouldn't matter. I mean look at Shawn Marion, his shot just hurts to look at, but seems to have done pretty well for himself. Not trying to compare him to Shawn by any means whatsoever, just shows that you don't have to have the prettiest shot to succeed.
Bearcats Sports is offline   Reply With Quote