Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Basketball Recruiting > 2018 Recruiting Profiles

Old 05-09-2017, 08:27 AM   #171
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
I was just saying that to that particular post bc Fickell flat out said if guys don't have interest initially, he doesn't stop recruiting them. That's all.
I also don't want him wasting time on these guys. We all want the great prospects, I'm sure mick wants them more than we do, but if they aren't interested there really isn't anything to do. All he can do is try to win enough to make uc a destination for these guys. Like UC in the 90s and somewhat what gonzaga has done.
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 08:34 AM   #172
cincyguy13
Epic Member

I do think he has to do better if we want to compete for final fours. I know we aren't going to get 1 and done type guys but I don't know why we can't get the guys X is getting. At least 1-2 top 100 guys a year
Old 05-09-2017, 09:07 AM   #173
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyguy13 View Post
I do think he has to do better if we want to compete for final fours. I know we aren't going to get 1 and done type guys but I don't know why we can't get the guys X is getting. At least 1-2 top 100 guys a year
In the past I think we can all agree there has been a little too much focus on athleticism instead of BB skills. Guys like SK and Cumberland were not recruited for their defensive ability but they just know how to play. What they may have lacked in on ball defense they made up for with basketball instincts. I think it's nice to have one athletic wing and big on the floor so we can guard the paint and put the wing on the best perimeter player for the opposing team (ala Evans). Outside of that I think we should focus on basketball skills and instincts.

We have been limited somewhat in who we can land as a recruit because they may not have "fit our system" in the past. We didn't get great basketball players in guys like KJ, Justin Jackson, Rubles or Bishop etc. They were liabilities on offense for the most part.

We need a scoring big, another talented wing, and a PG for the future. I think we probably did very well to lock down a guy like Williams on the wing because he can seemingly do both. So let's get another guy like Cumberland or SK on the wing (a pure BB guy). We aren't likely to see a chubby PG so I am not too concerned with defense at PG. We have our athletic bigs in place.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 09:33 AM   #174
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyguy13 View Post
I also don't want him wasting time on these guys. We all want the great prospects, I'm sure mick wants them more than we do, but if they aren't interested there really isn't anything to do. All he can do is try to win enough to make uc a destination for these guys. Like UC in the 90s and somewhat what gonzaga has done.
Football classes are way bigger, and Fickell "wastes his time". We will get 3 players max in the 2018 class for basketball. Coach Cronin has to sell it. I was promised the arena would give a bump in recruiting. Let's see it.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 09:48 AM   #175
GarradJ21
Epic Member

GarradJ21 is on a distinguished road
I just really want the question to come up about Hunter and Bazley and hear what Cronin says. An article on Hunter said WVU OSU Mich Butler and X are recruiting him the hardest. I just don't get how you have that mix and no UC?

I'm cool with whom ever we get as long as we have some highly recruited talent. This is the class we need it. I know we all keep stressing the same stuff, playtime, arena, and great program, well we really need to see it and we don't need any projects.

Last edited by GarradJ21; 05-09-2017 at 09:50 AM.
GarradJ21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 10:28 AM   #176
JackBauer151
Epic Member

JackBauer151 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to JackBauer151
Quote:
Football classes are way bigger, and Fickell "wastes his time". We will get 3 players max in the 2018 class for basketball. Coach Cronin has to sell it. I was promised the arena would give a bump in recruiting. Let's see it.
What does this have to do with landing "Ohio" kids? Maybe I'm misunderstanding the Fickell comparison. I want the three best kids we can get in 2018 and DGAF where they come from. Basketball is much more about the shoe company that sponsors your AAU team more than where you are from. Kids are transferring left and right from high schools and prep schools and aau teams. Simple fact is a kid who plays for an Under Armour AAU team from Arizona is much more likely than a Cincinnati kid who plays for Nike to come to UC. That dynamic is different from football. If you dont recruit nationally in basketball you probably are gonna fall on some hard times like Ohio State.
JackBauer151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 10:37 AM   #177
cincyguy13
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackBauer151 View Post
What does this have to do with landing "Ohio" kids? Maybe I'm misunderstanding the Fickell comparison. I want the three best kids we can get in 2018 and DGAF where they come from. Basketball is much more about the shoe company that sponsors your AAU team more than where you are from. Kids are transferring left and right from high schools and prep schools and aau teams. Simple fact is a kid who plays for an Under Armour AAU team from Arizona is much more likely than a Cincinnati kid who plays for Nike to come to UC. That dynamic is different from football. If you dont recruit nationally in basketball you probably are gonna fall on some hard times like Ohio State.
Agree, football and bball are totally different
Old 05-09-2017, 11:11 AM   #178
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
This has nothing to do with anything I have said.

My comment had only to do with when you "give up" on a recruit who isn't interested initially.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 12:22 PM   #179
mdchick
Epic Member

mdchick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
100% agree
mdchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 12:33 PM   #180
JackBauer151
Epic Member

JackBauer151 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to JackBauer151
Quote:
This has nothing to do with anything I have said.

My comment had only to do with when you "give up" on a recruit who isn't interested initially.
My apologies I was only able to glance over a couple prior posts so I must have misunderstood. However I would point out again comparing Fickell to Mick is really apples to oranges because of the different dynamics of football and basketball. Bigger classes, more positions, larger coaching staffs, lack of an early signing day (which i think i read is about to change) and other factors lend itself to football to not take no for an answer. If you don't get your guy there is more than likely somebody else available with their skill set you can get to balance the loss. In basketball if you put all your eggs into one basket and lose it can dramatically alter your team if you have to take on a "project" instead. You just wont pay the price in football that you would in basketball. I want recruiting to continue the momentum it has seen. Clark, Evans, Washington, Cumberland all in back to back to back classes has been a vast improvement over the likes of Guyn, Thomas, Sanders, Mbodj, and Nyarsuk. Add in Keith Williams and Cane Broom and I think next year's squad is the most talented we've seen around here since what 2002? The arrow is pointing up. I think that one March run is what is missing. The arena should help too but I think that one run that shows that Cincinnati can play for a national championship is the final piece. I think it's what Xavier has that UC doesnt. They go deep. They play in a top conference for basketball. They have top notch facilities. They get top 50 kids. Make that run and I think UC wont have to back off because they will be able to win over that top 50 kid consistently. Right now it seems they dont think they can do that and just try to go out and find another Gary or Jacob.
JackBauer151 is offline   Reply With Quote