Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 04-17-2019, 12:34 PM   #151
TheRealMick
Elite Member

TheRealMick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyalum2014 View Post
Lojo, Brooks and Cumberland are all at the early practices JB is allowed to have, that is a plus ( I know there is still a lot of time to transfer). I think Jarron will test the draft waters and go through all the workouts which is okay I would do the same thing just to get a feel of how it all works and where he stands, but I think he will be back. As for Samari no one really knows, have to remember he's still in high school until early June so I don't necessarily think he went silent to show he is decommitting, I think he just wants to kind of be a normal HS kid for the short time he has left. I think he shows up in mid June when recruits report for school and summer practice.
I'm pretty sure Curtis comes down on weekends or during week for some sort of scrimmages with players. Doubt he leave if Cumberland stay
TheRealMick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 01:18 PM   #152
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Did some looking around and found this on Cincinnati.com. This was before the Brannen hire but after Cronin left.

While the news was disappointing, Curtis has spoken to his Xenia High coach Kent Anderson and is expected to stay a Bearcat.

"As far as I'm concerned and the way he talks, I think he's very content with staying at UC," Anderson said. "He said, 'I chose the school.' As of right now, everything I know, he's still committed to UC. They've already reached out to him. Last year with the Xavier coaching change and him decommitting and changing, they wanted to make sure they still had him which I completely understand."

Also hearing Brooks has liked the latest (gobearcats) practice video on Instagram. If he gets to talking to Brannen and Scott to calm him down I think we are in good shape with him.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 01:41 PM   #153
cincyalum2014
Elite Member

cincyalum2014 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
Did some looking around and found this on Cincinnati.com. This was before the Brannen hire but after Cronin left.

While the news was disappointing, Curtis has spoken to his Xenia High coach Kent Anderson and is expected to stay a Bearcat.

"As far as I'm concerned and the way he talks, I think he's very content with staying at UC," Anderson said. "He said, 'I chose the school.' As of right now, everything I know, he's still committed to UC. They've already reached out to him. Last year with the Xavier coaching change and him decommitting and changing, they wanted to make sure they still had him which I completely understand."

Also hearing Brooks has liked the latest (gobearcats) practice video on Instagram. If he gets to talking to Brannen and Scott to calm him down I think we are in good shape with him.
Who knows what he will do. I am sure he committed a little bit because of Cronin, he seemed to have a good relationship with him, so I am sure it was a shot when he left and he would be silly not to take a step back an evaluate the situation. But I think he will still be here, we are late in recruiting, most new recruits report in June so a lot of teams have there guys for the most part (not all.. ex: St Johns lol) But its not like when he decomitted from Xavier, he had plenty of time to evaluate his next move. I know there a plenty of schools that would take him regardless of where they are in recruiting, I am simply saying he is next in line to be a big contributor at UC sooner rather than later.

Last edited by cincyalum2014; 04-17-2019 at 02:15 PM.
cincyalum2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 06:01 PM   #154
sirthought

sirthought is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
A selling point for Brannen to keep the seniors on the roster. I think Scott is on board. Cumberland if he doesn't go pro. Brooks up in the air.

The career win leader at UC is Steve Logan at 111. Jenifer is 2nd at 107. The current seniors (for next season) have been around for 89 wins. It takes 23 wins to get to 112 and they would all tie for the most wins in UC history. That should be a slam dunk if they all return...and I think that is a pretty high honor to hold. They even have a chance to smash the record and remain there for a long long time. A dream season could put them closer to 120 wins although that would be difficult with a first year coach.
Man, you always seem to pull out some numbers that I would never consider being an impact, but this argument could be a real motivation. Let's hope the coach is getting this same sort of intel, as he's flying solo at this point.
sirthought is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 07:41 PM   #155
TheRealUC
Elite Member

TheRealUC is on a distinguished road
Man, a lot of shitty news since that encouraging press conference. Brooks potentially leaving, and now we miss out on Jaevin...which would make one assume Jarron is leaning towards leaving. You have to wonder how this news (if it happens) would effect Curtis. I’m suddenly, albeit prematurely, very pessimistic.
TheRealUC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 08:04 PM   #156
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirthought View Post
Man, you always seem to pull out some numbers that I would never consider being an impact, but this argument could be a real motivation. Let's hope the coach is getting this same sort of intel, as he's flying solo at this point.
“Finish what you started” should be their motto!!

I finally saw the team awards banquet info and Jenifers write up reminded me about total career wins. They might be aware of it but who knows
Old 04-17-2019, 08:15 PM   #157
Bearcats92

Bearcats92 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealUC View Post
Man, a lot of shitty news since that encouraging press conference. Brooks potentially leaving, and now we miss out on Jaevin...which would make one assume Jarron is leaning towards leaving. You have to wonder how this news (if it happens) would effect Curtis. I’m suddenly, albeit prematurely, very pessimistic.
I thought Jaevin and Jarron weren’t that close? I think Jarron and Nas are coming back.
Bearcats92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 10:14 PM   #158
TheRealUC
Elite Member

TheRealUC is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcats92 View Post
I thought Jaevin and Jarron weren’t that close? I think Jarron and Nas are coming back.
I hope so. And who knows if that would even effect Curtis. Maybe he'd like coming in and being one of the top dogs right away, but I wouldn't bet on it.
TheRealUC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 10:50 AM   #159
waterhead
Senior Moderator

It has been all hands on deck at practices lately. With only the obvious people missing in Fredericks and Curtis. That is a good sign for Brooks and the rest of the roster. The more they hang around the coach and Scott the better. Having Scott all in as a SR leader is a big deal. I would assume the players and coach are staying in touch with Curtis as well.

As a fan I think 90% (or more) of the fans have been impressed with what they know and hear from the coach so I would find it hard to believe the players are getting a different vibe but who knows.

I like the way things are going so far. Haven't heard much negativity from anyone really...outside of the former Huggins players and even they have come around a bit.
Old 04-18-2019, 10:56 AM   #160
cincycpaw
Epic Member

cincycpaw will become famous soon enough
I hope Brannen can keep this team together and bring in Curtis. Looking forward to the year. The team knows how to play hard, play defense, and rebound (thanks Mick). If Brannen can make things on the offensive side of the ball easier...and more fun...this could be a special group.

I mean, a senior Cumberland is enough on his own for excitement. Renewed passion of Scott and brooks? With offensive improvement? Yes please!!! LoJo on the court? Getting after it on D, on the boards and improving playmaking and shooting? Yes please. Keith Williams with more movement on offense and pushing the ball? Yes please.
cincycpaw is offline   Reply With Quote