Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 05-31-2019, 12:54 PM   #1341
Queens_NYC
Epic Member

Queens_NYC is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
Williams got 26 mpg last year and we lost Jenifer, Broome, Johnson, Fredericks. I don't see him getting 25 this year (a reduction). Trevon was at 30.5 mpg and Brooks and Eliel are gone and Vogt is a sit out. 30 mpg is a reduction. Cumberland was at 32.5 mpg and again we lost Jenifer, Broome, and Johnson. 30 is a reduction.

I see additional minutes for them not reductions. They are the only proven talents at this level. Jaevin seems like a 30 mpg guy as well so I don't know where all the minutes come from.
I agree in principle that good players need to be on the court for as long as they need to be to help the team win.

With that said, if a team has solid enough depth beyond its top players, I would rather utilize that than play multiple players at 35 mpg for an entire season. I'd rather have our best players as fresh as possible by the end of the season.

Houston's rotation last year seems pretty ideal to me. 3 guys in the 30-33 mpg range and then 6 guys in the 14-19 mpg range. As a result, even though they lost 4 starters, they return 6 guys who played double digit minutes/game and can more easily transition into bigger roles this season.

Again, it's all speculation at this point, but still more exciting to consider with our roster finally filling out.
Queens_NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 01:20 PM   #1342
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queens_NYC View Post
I agree in principle that good players need to be on the court for as long as they need to be to help the team win.

With that said, if a team has solid enough depth beyond its top players, I would rather utilize that than play multiple players at 35 mpg for an entire season. I'd rather have our best players as fresh as possible by the end of the season.

Houston's rotation last year seems pretty ideal to me. 3 guys in the 30-33 mpg range and then 6 guys in the 14-19 mpg range. As a result, even though they lost 4 starters, they return 6 guys who played double digit minutes/game and can more easily transition into bigger roles this season.

Again, it's all speculation at this point, but still more exciting to consider with our roster finally filling out.
I would much rather have a well rounded team but just not sure who will be stepping up from the 2nd tier. I don't want for the starters to be exhausted by seasons end but we need production from the backups or it won't help much. I can't say with any confidence who those player will be. But I am sure we will find some as we go.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 03:59 PM   #1343
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I would much rather have a well rounded team but just not sure who will be stepping up from the 2nd tier. I don't want for the starters to be exhausted by seasons end but we need production from the backups or it won't help much. I can't say with any confidence who those player will be. But I am sure we will find some as we go.
Agreed, I actually expect our starters will play fewer minutes then last year. Assuming we actually run and press with Brannen, guys are going to get tired and rest more. I expect Scott to get the most minutes, followed by Cumberland and Williams. After that it's up in the air, if I was guessing I'd say Diarra will be getting a lot of minutes out of necessity, Jeavin would as well if we get him. Then it's just a matter of who steps up, I'm not sure McNeal or Sorolla are going to beat out our freshmen for minutes, especially as the year progresses.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 07:53 PM   #1344
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyalum2014 View Post
Sorolla sucks, he was bad for a bad valpo team, if he comes I would be horrified if he started.... very Adam H like.....

Every day that goes by I think it’s less and less likely Jaevin ends up here
Agree on Sorolla. I would still want him. We need a big body for teams that have good bigs. Even if it is just to take up space and commit 5 fouls. Kinda like Houston used their bigs last year. It is only 1 year and we aren’t getting anyone else this late.

Also agree on Jaevin. I don’t think he is coming here. I hope he does but wouldn’t he already commit if he was?
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 08:25 PM   #1345
cincyalum2014
Elite Member

cincyalum2014 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyguy13 View Post
Agree on Sorolla. I would still want him. We need a big body for teams that have good bigs. Even if it is just to take up space and commit 5 fouls. Kinda like Houston used their bigs last year. It is only 1 year and we aren’t getting anyone else this late.

Also agree on Jaevin. I don’t think he is coming here. I hope he does but wouldn’t he already commit if he was?
I would agree with that about Sorolla about it’s only one year so no big.

I think with college basketball rosters finally starting to take place with the draft deadline past. I think Jaevin is waiting to see how teams are shaping out and who needs his services the most because you know he wants to start and play 30 plus minutes on a team that gives him the best chance at a tourney shot . So I think it’s possible he comes but I think other teams are also in play as-well. With the signing of Mcneal I think Brannen knows.
cincyalum2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 02:32 PM   #1346
Vanhoop

Vanhoop is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyalum2014 View Post
I would agree with that about Sorolla about it’s only one year so no big.

I think with college basketball rosters finally starting to take place with the draft deadline past. I think Jaevin is waiting to see how teams are shaping out and who needs his services the most because you know he wants to start and play 30 plus minutes on a team that gives him the best chance at a tourney shot . So I think it’s possible he comes but I think other teams are also in play as-well. With the signing of Mcneal I think Brannen knows.
Yep agreed and he is now on the squad Sorolla I just like that he is a good shot blocker.
Vanhoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 03:55 PM   #1347
AZ BEARCAT
Elite Member

AZ BEARCAT is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanhoop View Post
Yep agreed and he is now on the squad Sorolla I just like that he is a good shot blocker.
Agree with you.
AZ BEARCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 08:42 PM   #1348
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Did we just get another Cumberland??
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 08:48 PM   #1349
indydoug

indydoug is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Did we just get another Cumberland??
Dancing bearcat AGAIN! What a last few days!
indydoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 09:06 PM   #1350
KennyFreaselefteye

KennyFreaselefteye is on a distinguished road
It will not be Cumberland. It’s Mike Saunders. Would love for it to be Cumberland, but based off pretty reliable sources we are not actually in serious works with Jaevin...yet. I would love to be wrong, but with Saunders visit today and him having poopy offers, I think its Forsure him.
KennyFreaselefteye is offline   Reply With Quote