Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 06-03-2019, 07:17 PM   #41
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Chad filled in for mo today. He talked a lot about uc. Worth a listen. The link is on his twitter timeline. Sounds like brannen has some good recruits visiting. A lot to get excited about.
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 09:00 PM   #42
Alum2013
Elite Member

Alum2013 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyguy13 View Post
Chad filled in for mo today. He talked a lot about uc. Worth a listen. The link is on his twitter timeline. Sounds like brannen has some good recruits visiting. A lot to get excited about.
Not really a huge fan of Chad but even he made Mo sound like a scrub. Cincy really needs to get someone better.
Alum2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 07:16 AM   #43
ZCat
Elite Member

ZCat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyguy13 View Post
Here’s the link.
https://www.iheart.com/podcast/139-mo-egger-espn-1530-700wlw-25690961/episode/6319-sports-talk-with-chad-brendel-45649180/?cmp=web_share

Sorry - how do we make this a live link?

Thanks for all the info you all provide!
ZCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 09:22 AM   #44
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
I think Brannen deserves a one hour nap! He has earned it.

The buzz from this past week has been a lot of fun! He has filled every significant hole on the roster and managed to lock down the #1 SG grad transfer left on the market.

I went from talking about a full rebuild to having legit expectations for another NCAA appearance in about 1 week.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 10:25 AM   #45
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
I think Brannen deserves a one hour nap! He has earned it.

The buzz from this past week has been a lot of fun! He has filled every significant hole on the roster and managed to lock down the #1 SG grad transfer left on the market.

I went from talking about a full rebuild to having legit expectations for another NCAA appearance in about 1 week.
Yup, I'm not willing to say NCAA appearance is a sure thing, but it sure looks better.

Last years team had 1 star (Jarron), 3 very good players (Jenifer, Scott, Brooks), two other solid players (Keith, Broome) and some others who could usually play well enough to let the main 6 rest (Moore, Fredericks, Diarra, Nsoseme).

This year we have 1 star (Jarron) and 3 very good players (Jaevin, Williams, Scott - who may even become a star). But we don't have another obvious two other solid players. Diarra and Moore are who I hope will fill those roles, but they have some question marks. The other veterans (McNeal, Sorolla) look worse and the freshmen (Hardnett/Prince) are unproven.

If we don't make the NCAA tournament this year it is because we can't develop a 5th and 6th man fast enough to go with our solid main 4. Center is the biggest concern, I don't think we have big/strong/athletic enough guards to play small with Scott at the 5 for long periods. That means Diarra, Sorolla and/or Hardnett (who could play as a slightly undersized 5) have to give a combined at least 30 quality minutes per game.

If we are a great team this year it's because Moore finally finds his shot and Diarra (or maybe Hardnett) quickly becomes a solid starter.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 10:28 AM   #46
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
I think the one thing with McNeal is we are all envisioning him in a Cronin system, or at least I am.

If he can be a guy that pushes the pace, gets us a good look early in the shot clock and runs out in transition at every chance, he could really be productive for us.

Really is a shame Broome didn't have 1 year left, this seems like a perfect spot for somebody with a game like his.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 10:35 AM   #47
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post
Yup, I'm not willing to say NCAA appearance is a sure thing, but it sure looks better.

Last years team had 1 star (Jarron), 3 very good players (Jenifer, Scott, Brooks), two other solid players (Keith, Broome) and some others who could usually play well enough to let the main 6 rest (Moore, Fredericks, Diarra, Nsoseme).

This year we have 1 star (Jarron) and 3 very good players (Jaevin, Williams, Scott - who may even become a star). But we don't have another obvious two other solid players. Diarra and Moore are who I hope will fill those roles, but they have some question marks. The other veterans (McNeal, Sorolla) look worse and the freshmen (Hardnett/Prince) are unproven.

If we don't make the NCAA tournament this year it is because we can't develop a 5th and 6th man fast enough to go with our solid main 4. Center is the biggest concern, I don't think we have big/strong/athletic enough guards to play small with Scott at the 5 for long periods. That means Diarra, Sorolla and/or Hardnett (who could play as a slightly undersized 5) have to give a combined at least 30 quality minutes per game.

If we are a great team this year it's because Moore finally finds his shot and Diarra (or maybe Hardnett) quickly becomes a solid starter.
I don't think replacing those players (in bold) will be much of an issue. But I agree we need at least 1 if not 2 players to step into a significant role. Probably Moore, McNeal, or Diara...but one of the less experienced guys would be a nice bonus. Gillam, Hardnett, Davenport, MAW.

I think Sorolla is what he is and we will need him for backup but he's not likely going to wow anyone.
Old 06-05-2019, 10:46 AM   #48
skylinecat

skylinecat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post

I don't think Hardnett is going to pick up any minutes at the 5. He was more of a point forward, Shaq Thomas type player, and my understanding is that he is closer to playing like a 3 from the 4 spot than a 5 from the 4 spot. He is 6'7 and a redshirt freshman. I'm not sure we want to throw him out there at center.
skylinecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 10:48 AM   #49
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
I think the one thing with McNeal is we are all envisioning him in a Cronin system, or at least I am.

If he can be a guy that pushes the pace, gets us a good look early in the shot clock and runs out in transition at every chance, he could really be productive for us.

Really is a shame Broome didn't have 1 year left, this seems like a perfect spot for somebody with a game like his.
Yah Broome missed the boat...that's a shame. And I agree with McNeal as a pace pusher on the break. We have all been craving for a team (or player) that can beat the defense down the court. Brannen definitely wants that to happen and may be the antithesis of Cronin in that dept. Cronin always said it...but the action didn't match up with the words.
Old 06-05-2019, 10:50 AM   #50
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylinecat View Post
I don't think Hardnett is going to pick up any minutes at the 5. He was more of a point forward, Shaq Thomas type player, and my understanding is that he is closer to playing like a 3 from the 4 spot than a 5 from the 4 spot. He is 6'7 and a redshirt freshman. I'm not sure we want to throw him out there at center.
Agreed. He can maybe push Scott over to the 5 though. Or play with Diara or Sorolla. Probably limited minutes.