Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 06-18-2019, 07:29 AM   #1611
JoeRunner89

JoeRunner89 is an unknown quantity at this point
And what's up with this notion that just bc your 7foot you gonna make an impact on the court. This Vogt guy is undoubtedly gonna be a foul casualty and a nightmare defending pick and rolls at least I feel... But we will see. As of right now the only thing he is is tall
JoeRunner89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 07:44 AM   #1612
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
And 50% of those will be Brannen recruits. It's going to be interesting to see how he runs the team this year. Looks like he wants speedy point guards who can push pace (based on Saunders, McNeal etc). A 7' shot blocker in the paint (Sorolla, Vogt etc). Versatile wings and stretch 4's.

Based on his recruiting so far I don't think Scott and Diara are his prototype for the 5 spot but they might be the best option(s) for this year. Who knows?

Based on how Vogt was used last year Brannen might just like to have a big on the roster for certain games. The majority of the minutes for nku last year went to guys under 6'8, but in 5 games Vogt played 20+ minutes.

I think he wants to play his style, but he recognizes some teams could punish him for it so he keeps a big around to combat that.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 07:47 AM   #1613
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
A couple of thoughts on Harvey. It's been VERY hush hush from the coaches standpoint so much so that not many people reporting on UC recruiting were even aware of the situation. So a thought came up after looking around that maybe they just don't want some other program to come in last second and kill this deal. Maybe a team like Kansas etc. I would guess with the Hardnett decision things are either very close to being wrapped up or already wrapped up. Everything is hush hush on our end probably by strategy but there is enough info out there that he has 4 crystal balls to UC and those other experts don't need to keep things on the down low.

Another thing Harvey was already thinking 2020 was his class so reclassifying last minute I would imagine he is going to be okay with not getting major minutes this year. He may see the huge opportunity to be in line for major minutes when the Cumberlands leave. And even with a "logjam" on the wing if he is the next best player to the Cumberlands and Williams...he can still probably eke out 15 minutes or so depending on others. I don't see Davenport or MAW being first year stars and we already have seen enough of Moore to say he may not be that hard to beat out either.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 07:52 AM   #1614
cincyalum2014
Elite Member

cincyalum2014 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRunner89 View Post
Laquil was an athlete he could play... he was going to see the floor
Over who? I am not trying to be a dick, there are only 40 minutes to go around, I am honestly just curious as to who people think he would get minutes over.
cincyalum2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 07:57 AM   #1615
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
Based on how Vogt was used last year Brannen might just like to have a big on the roster for certain games. The majority of the minutes for nku last year went to guys under 6'8, but in 5 games Vogt played 20+ minutes.

I think he wants to play his style, but he recognizes some teams could punish him for it so he keeps a big around to combat that.
Sure but it was the Horizon and they had Drew McDonald to boot. But I think you're right...Vogt is going to be a foul eater and situational player. But he also seems to be looking at future recruits in the same mold. It will be interesting to see what his splash big is going to look like. Loveday type? No brainer...if he can get him. If he can't get someone like that he may have to pick his poison.
Old 06-18-2019, 08:00 AM   #1616
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRunner89 View Post
Well, why do you say that? In my assertion Curtis is pretty well physically developed for his age, has good size in him and a good shot. Unfortunately for him unlike Harvey he was unable to splash on the AAU seen and possibly doesn't have the extra fill dummies to run through and training facilities to take advantage of but it looked like he did a pretty nice job asserting himself this yr into being an Ohio Mr. Basketball which holds probably more considerable talent than the state of Kansas. With that being said Harvey looks like a good player but don't Just judge based off rankings. The mindstate of these two players and how they respond to thier caoching will ultimately be the deciding factor in how they develop and yes we will see
It’s always hard to judge high school players. To me, Curtis’ shot looked a little goofy. The competition he was playing against was not great. He did not look like that great of an athlete. I also thought the same of Cumberland in high school, so you never know. A lot of it comes down to how hard the kid wants to work to get better and how well they can adjust to better competition.
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 08:02 AM   #1617
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyalum2014 View Post
Over who? I am not trying to be a dick, there are only 40 minutes to go around, I am honestly just curious as to who people think he would get minutes over.
Yah...Brannen could have said I want my 4's to be stretch 4's or else I am running small with wings. That would/could have really limited his potential minutes. He may have a 6'8" frame but if he's not a shot blocker or a shooter it's hard to see who he would get in the game before. He's not a 5. He's not a 3.

Tre Scott and Diara can both shoot a little and they can both jump. And we can't sleep on Gillam.
Old 06-18-2019, 08:08 AM   #1618
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
It’s pretty clear brannen is trying to upgrade the talent level on this roster. Aside from Vogt it looks like he is doing a fairly good job but If he thinks Vogt can give them something, I’ll trust him. Even though I have my doubts.
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 08:09 AM   #1619
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
Quote:
And 50% of those will be Brannen recruits. It's going to be interesting to see how he runs the team this year. Looks like he wants speedy point guards who can push pace (based on Saunders, McNeal etc). A 7' shot blocker in the paint (Sorolla, Vogt etc). Versatile wings and stretch 4's.

We can run with a PG two wings a stretch 4 and a 5. No PG three wings and two stretch 4's. A PG three wings and a stretch 4. A PG three wings and a 5. No PG three wings a stretch 4 and a 5.

Of course we will see many different options but I am interested what shapes up as his go to starting/best lineup. Some will depend on matchups as well but he will settle in on his most productive lineup.

Based on his recruiting so far I don't think Scott and Diara are his prototype for the 5 spot but they might be the best option(s) for this year. Who knows?

Based on his recruiting of Saunders I now think McNeal could see a little more time than I suspected to push pace.

So many questions right now but it's a little easier to see now what he is looking for in future lineups.
I'm not really seeing the versatile wings and stretch 4's. Hardnett looked like he had the potential to be a very good stretch 4.

Brannen seems to be recruiting like he doesn't care about having bigs on the floor. We've added plenty of talented guards and two centers (Vogt, Sorolla) who look like they won't belong on the court.

We may only have 3 players taller than 6'5" playing this year (Scott, Diarra, Sorolla) - and only one of them is proven. That looks less like options and more like a team that will have major problems against teams that have capable big men.

Big men are the most difficult players to recruit (more limited supply) and having quality big men is often what separates low/mid-majors from high-majors. With their ability to block shots and grab rebounds, big men can have a much larger impact on the game. Big men also generally take longer to develop, so we are probably looking at a multiple year issue.

We are going to have to hope that a lot of our guys play bigger than they are. Otherwise I can see us getting badly beaten on the boards and that's going to make winning difficult.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 08:18 AM   #1620
JoeRunner89

JoeRunner89 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Yah...Brannen could have said I want my 4's to be stretch 4's or else I am running small with wings. That would/could have really limited his potential minutes. He may have a 6'8" frame but if he's not a shot blocker or a shooter it's hard to see who he would get in the game before. He's not a 5. He's not a 3.

Tre Scott and Diara can both shoot a little and they can both jump. And we can't sleep on Gillam.
I don't understand then why sleep on Laquil. I just thought he and Gilliam would contribute and get mins based off eye test. Laquil just looked like there was a bunch of potential within his frame he just needed some coaching and kinks to be ironed out ofcourse he wasn't a 5 star but yea, his length and athletisicm was going to help us this yr. As of right now I have no faith in diarra being as strong as we need him to be down low until he proves it
JoeRunner89 is offline   Reply With Quote