Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Basketball Recruiting > Recruiting Profile Archives > 2015 Recruiting Profiles

Old 06-26-2014, 05:50 PM   #341
Bearcat Rob
Elite Member

Bearcat Rob is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by david aka the TYZ View Post
What makes you think he would be a defensive liability? He is quick and short. I think that combination will help get his hands on some balls for steals and keep opposing pg's from going around him. Probably won't block alot of shots, but what pg does? I could see him being one of those sneaky guards that swipes the ball away from taller players when they try to drive to the rim.
I agree, im not sure where the defense questions are coming from. ya hes short but hes not guarding post players, he quick stocky and competitive looks like a very good defender to me
Bearcat Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 06:10 PM   #342
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by david aka the TYZ View Post
What makes you think he would be a defensive liability? He is quick and short. I think that combination will help get his hands on some balls for steals and keep opposing pg's from going around him. Probably won't block alot of shots, but what pg does? I could see him being one of those sneaky guards that swipes the ball away from taller players when they try to drive to the rim.
Just going by what I've read about his D. Liability may be the wrong word. Don't get me wrong...I am excited about this kid. His passing and vision is crazy good...ball handling too
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 06:23 PM   #343
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAITE HOYT 2 View Post
What you implied was that because Jennifer was short Mick may not have the same standard as he had defensively previously and was willing to go for more Offense and less Defense.Thomas lack of defense is a huge result of his lack of playing time. Nothing would get you pulled quicker in a Huggins coached team or Pitino team then not guarding. It happened to Thomas often. GG played as much as TC because he guarded better. TC is a freshman and hopefully will improve his defense which will get him more minutes. I didn't say Mick wouldn't change I said he didn't need to. He'll never change his stance concerning guard or sit and he shouldn't. Holding players accountable is a good thing. Defense is effort and if your not willing to give it on the defensive end of the floor you won't be out there long.If you score two and give up two we gain nothing. He demands effort on both ends of the floor. The fact he recruited Jennifer is not in anyway indicative that he is changing his approach or that he should.If Jennifer is a liability on defense his minutes will be impacted as well. Hope I explained myself better.Sorry if we misunderstood each other.
Now you're just making stuff up. I said nothing about his size...nor did I insinuate it in any way whatsoever. I mentioned his D because that is what I have read about him...that's a weakness for him...so "they" say,

I agree with you about defense. I know Mick isn't going to...nor do I want him to...change his philosophy on demanding max effort on D. Nor am I suggesting he needs to change his coaching. It just seems to me he has concentrated a little more on offensive talent and finesse than defense and raw physical ability lately with his recruits. Call it a coincidence (which it could be) or a slight change in recruiting philosophy...I don't really care.

I have no idea why you think that means I think he needs to change his coaching style. He can still demand the most out of his recruits defensively even if they are known more for scoring or passing than lock down D.
Old 06-26-2014, 06:54 PM   #344
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Listen I don't want to be the guy that is perpetuating something about Jennifer's D if it isn't true. I have read posts on this thread which have lead me to believe that is one of the main things he will have to work on to play on a Cronin team. A tweet by jerry Meyer and one or two other posts mentioned his D on this thread a while back. I have never seen Justin play so I am just going on what I have read. I have yet to read anything about his defensive prowess but have read a couple of things about him having to work on that part of his game.

Maybe what I have read is wrong and he will be just fine. I doubt Cronin would bring him in if he didn't think Justin could play, at the very least, competent D at this level.
Old 06-26-2014, 07:08 PM   #345
IDC

IDC is on a distinguished road
Mick's system is just fine. If JJ and Rub were efficient offensive players the scores would be much higher. As Mick gets better offensive recruits his offense will look much better. Moore, Strickland, jenifer, Capuain and KJ all seem to have offensive skill
IDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 07:18 PM   #346
waterhead
Senior Moderator

OK so I went back and read through most of the posts on Justin again. It seems the defensive question marks are in regards to his quickness, lateral speed, and height. Yet I have also read his HS coach say he is a "pitbull" on D and Scout said he is "solid" on D.

Based on this I am guessing he is pretty good at getting his hands on the ball and gives great effort. His deficiencies seem to be strictly physical not mechanical or effort related.

I guess the jury is still out on how that will translate to major D1 BB but since he is a hard worker I will give him the benefit of the doubt
Old 07-03-2014, 09:14 AM   #347
bearcats5

bearcats5 is on a distinguished road
New mixtape from the NBA Top 100 Camp:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08Ztd3eb5XI
bearcats5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 09:47 AM   #348
Cpaw

Cpaw is on a distinguished road
Impressive video. I am really excited to get this kid on the court, very dynamic and can drive a defense crazy!

Fortune Favors the Bold
Cpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 01:40 PM   #349
LaxCat31

LaxCat31 is on a distinguished road
for being 5'9", this kid is pretty solid. He isn't a wiry thin-framed short kid. He has got some size to him
LaxCat31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 07:34 PM   #350
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcats5 View Post
New mixtape from the NBA Top 100 Camp:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08Ztd3eb5XI
We haven't seen someone with those ball skills in a long time IMO. How long has it been since we had someone who could break down a defense like this kid can? 10 years? He's going to be exciting to watch and the fans will love that flashy passing and dribbling. I don't mind "flashy" as long as he's good enough to be under control when he does it. He looks like he is...and you can tell he's confident as hell.