Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What will be the outcome?
UC wins by 6+ 16 55.17%
UC wins by 1-5 8 27.59%
Temple wins by 1-5 4 13.79%
Temple wins by 6+ 1 3.45%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-23-2016, 05:33 PM   #1
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Temple

AAC time!

Game is Wednesday the 28th at 9 pm EST on ESPNU.

Temple is 9-4.
Wins: La Salle (97-92), Manhattan (88-67), vs Florida State (89-86), vs West Va (81-77), @St. Joe's (78-72), Penn (70-62), DePaul (74-65), NJIT (68-63), Yale (83-77)
Losses: New Hampshire (57-52), @UMass (70-67), George Washington (66-63), @Villanova (78-57)

They are #85 in KenPom. #85 AdjO, #100AdjD, #256 AdjT.

I'll guess UC -7

UC 68
Temple 59

Last edited by jacobkdoyle; 12-23-2016 at 05:39 PM.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 06:07 PM   #2
Bearcat_NTS
Epic Member

Bearcat_NTS will become famous soon enough
I'm going to post an AAC non-conference summary soon. This game is a huge game for us against another AAC contender.
Bearcat_NTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 08:32 PM   #3
Bearcat513
Elite Member

Bearcat513 is on a distinguished road
They shoot the 3 pretty well, so I am sure they will be excited after our game last night.

They don't rebound the ball well at all. They do have some size but I think we should be able to get some easy points via offensive boards.
Bearcat513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 01:28 PM   #4
Bearcat_NTS
Epic Member

Mick Previews Temple...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFHrCtIuECU
Old 12-26-2016, 05:03 PM   #5
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Some quick scouting on Temple:

Things they are good at:
Protecting the Ball: Ranked #25 in the country in TO%, Temple has always been good at protecting the ball. In the previous 2 years they finished ranked 4th and 2nd in TO%. This is why they have so much success against UC, because if we aren't hitting shots and we aren't turning teams over, we generally will struggle. They dont let us create extra possessions.

3 Point Shooting: As a team they shoot 38.5%. They have 3 volume 3 point shooters who shoot over 39% and over from 3. 1 being a big man. Stopping this is crucial

Blocking Shots: Obi Enechionyia is mostly a 3 point shooting big But on defense he is one of the better shot blockers we will face with Freshman Quinton Rose helping on that front as well. They rank 20th nationally in block percentge.

Things they struggle with
2 point offense: Temple only makes 45% of their 2 point shots. They are much better at hitting the 3, but when its not falling, they generally struggle to score. Using the same extended defense we used in the second half against Marshall should prove to be effective against Temple. I'd rather give up the occasional 2 point drive to the rim over 10 or 11 3's

Defending the 3 This team defends the 3 worse than we do. Lets hope we can drain a few shots early and extend the defense so we can open the driving lanes.

Offense Rebounding (both sides) This team is not a good offensive rebounding team and also not good at fending off offensive rebounds from the defensive end. Gary, Kyle and Tre should be crashing the glass on offense as Temple is not a high tempo team, so we shouldn't have to be as concerned getting back.

Temple's Impact Players:
6'10 JR F Obi Enechionyia 107.2 ORTG 16.2 ppg 7.6 RPG 45% from 3
Highest Usage rate on the team and leading scorer. Averages 2.5 blocks a game. Shoots a higher Percentage from 3 than he does from 2. Will probably see a lot of Tre Scott if Kyle has trouble guarding him.
5'10 Fr PG Alani Moore 130.8 ORTG 9.4 ppg 2.2apg 49% from 3
Has a pretty low usage but plays 60% of the games minutes and takes mostly 3's. Is the team leader in 3 point and free throw shooter. Listed him as impact because he is incredibly efficient for a PG and because he shoots so well
6'8 Fr F/G Quinton Rose 97.2 ORTG 10.5 ppg 3.4 RPG 53.5 from 2
Technically Shizz Alston and Daniel Dingle score more points per game, but I personally feel Rose is going to be one of the players UC has trouble with. He doesn't shoot well from 3, but he is more a slasher and driver who benefits from the defense being so spread out because of Temples shooters.

Overall Temple is bit hard to gauge, they basically rely on protecting the ball, and the 3 point shot to win games. Im not sure if Josh Brown will play (he hasn't the last 2 games since re-injuring himself) so I didn't much talk of him because the team is learning to survive with out him. That said, temple has some pieces to be a decent team and they are extremely young. I think guys like Moore and Rose will annoy fans for the next few years.

UC will need to rotate and communicate well on defense to keep the 3 point shot from falling and then just execute patient offense. I don't expect many transition buckets because Temple protects the ball so well but we should be able to take it to their defense.
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 06:35 PM   #6
juckerrules
Elite Member

juckerrules is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
Some quick scouting on Temple:

Things they are good at:
Protecting the Ball: Ranked #25 in the country in TO%, Temple has always been good at protecting the ball. In the previous 2 years they finished ranked 4th and 2nd in TO%. This is why they have so much success against UC, because if we aren't hitting shots and we aren't turning teams over, we generally will struggle. They dont let us create extra possessions.

3 Point Shooting: As a team they shoot 38.5%. They have 3 volume 3 point shooters who shoot over 39% and over from 3. 1 being a big man. Stopping this is crucial

Blocking Shots: Obi Enechionyia is mostly a 3 point shooting big But on defense he is one of the better shot blockers we will face with Freshman Quinton Rose helping on that front as well. They rank 20th nationally in block percentge.

Things they struggle with
2 point offense: Temple only makes 45% of their 2 point shots. They are much better at hitting the 3, but when its not falling, they generally struggle to score. Using the same extended defense we used in the second half against Marshall should prove to be effective against Temple. I'd rather give up the occasional 2 point drive to the rim over 10 or 11 3's

Defending the 3 This team defends the 3 worse than we do. Lets hope we can drain a few shots early and extend the defense so we can open the driving lanes.

Offense Rebounding (both sides) This team is not a good offensive rebounding team and also not good at fending off offensive rebounds from the defensive end. Gary, Kyle and Tre should be crashing the glass on offense as Temple is not a high tempo team, so we shouldn't have to be as concerned getting back.

Temple's Impact Players:
6'10 JR F Obi Enechionyia 107.2 ORTG 16.2 ppg 7.6 RPG 45% from 3
Highest Usage rate on the team and leading scorer. Averages 2.5 blocks a game. Shoots a higher Percentage from 3 than he does from 2. Will probably see a lot of Tre Scott if Kyle has trouble guarding him.
5'10 Fr PG Alani Moore 130.8 ORTG 9.4 ppg 2.2apg 49% from 3
Has a pretty low usage but plays 60% of the games minutes and takes mostly 3's. Is the team leader in 3 point and free throw shooter. Listed him as impact because he is incredibly efficient for a PG and because he shoots so well
6'8 Fr F/G Quinton Rose 97.2 ORTG 10.5 ppg 3.4 RPG 53.5 from 2
Technically Shizz Alston and Daniel Dingle score more points per game, but I personally feel Rose is going to be one of the players UC has trouble with. He doesn't shoot well from 3, but he is more a slasher and driver who benefits from the defense being so spread out because of Temples shooters.

Overall Temple is bit hard to gauge, they basically rely on protecting the ball, and the 3 point shot to win games. Im not sure if Josh Brown will play (he hasn't the last 2 games since re-injuring himself) so I didn't much talk of him because the team is learning to survive with out him. That said, temple has some pieces to be a decent team and they are extremely young. I think guys like Moore and Rose will annoy fans for the next few years.

UC will need to rotate and communicate well on defense to keep the 3 point shot from falling and then just execute patient offense. I don't expect many transition buckets because Temple protects the ball so well but we should be able to take it to their defense.
How about the Cats open with a man to man defense instead of getting creamed with 3's in the match-up zone & then having to switch to man to man to save their collective asses?
juckerrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 06:38 PM   #7
Bearcat_NTS
Epic Member

Rose and Moore did a decent job against WVU's pressure. That's tough for a pair of freshman.
Old 12-26-2016, 07:44 PM   #8
ZCat
Elite Member

ZCat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by juckerrules View Post
How about the Cats open with a man to man defense instead of getting creamed with 3's in the match-up zone & then having to switch to man to man to save their collective asses?
Can Troy stay in front of his man? If so I'm all for playing man.

Is part of issue he's trying to keep Gary fresh?
ZCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 12:11 AM   #9
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcat_NTS View Post
Rose and Moore did a decent job against WVU's pressure. That's tough for a pair of freshman.
Yea. With josh brown out, I don't think temple starts a single senior. With such a weak AAC they might be the 3rd or 4th best team.
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 08:17 AM   #10
#BearcatNation
Epic Member

#BearcatNation is on a distinguished road
Washington and Clark should have little trouble scoring down-low. We'll have to feed them every single possession.
#BearcatNation is offline   Reply With Quote