Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 08-12-2017, 09:13 PM   #21
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
It wasn't our Pace that kept SMU in the games. They play slower than we do and they do a damn good job of slowing you down to their level.

They used 19.4 seconds per offensive possession and we used 18.7.

They try even harder than we do to slow the pace down. I also think Depth is pretty overrated when you have 6 interchangeable parts that basically can play anywhere. the 2nd time we played them, their was 25 fouls called, add in TV timeouts and coach timeouts and you have plenty of time to stay rested.
I agree with depth being overrated. But it does help when the quality doesn't fall off a cliff when you have to use the bench. I think that can win you a couple games a year
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 08:17 AM   #22
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
I'd say the AAC is going to be one of the toughest leagues in the country to preseason predict. Sure, its UC and WSU at the top but then its a blur. Here is how I will go with it.

1. UC: I think we are the best team in the league and until WSU beats someone other than Dayton, Im not changing my mind
2. WSU: UC and WSU could be interchangable. I just hope not. But i do hope WSU is worth the hype
3. UCF: BJ Taylor is the leagues most underrated player, Tacko is a zone defense by himself and they add shooters via Aubrey dawkins and the other transfer
4. SMU Shake Milton might average 20 a game, McMurray can score in any league, Foster is good. But if they get killed on the glass, this could be a bust
5. UCONN Every thing in me says not to put them in the top 5, but Adams, Gilbert, Vital, And Larrier are as talented as any other 4 in the league. They just need production from a big. Bad thing is Ollie sucks at big development
6. Temple: I think Rose has a breakout year, add that with all the young guys plus the experience of Josh Brown and Obi, they could be tough to beat. I dont want to go to Philly to play them.
7. Houston: Rob Gray will score 22 or more PPG but they have so many new comers that Its hard to gauge them. Houston fans will tell you Devin Dotson is easily replaceable. I think their insane
8. Tulsa: Bring back most all of their new comers from last year. Not a ton of talent but enough to get hot one night and beat some one. Thank God for Troy Caupain last season.
9. Memphis: Nothing will surprise me about Memphis, if they finish 4th I would be surprised, if they finish last I wont either. Its a dumpster fire that actually has a lot of mid level talent, I just think they are a year or 2 away.
10. Tulane: They only won 6 games last year but I felt they got better and better as the season wore on. They will play tough but they still Suck ass
11. ECU: they could finish ahead of Memphis and Tulane because Barkley maybe a better player than both those teams have but they lose 3 starters from a shitty team so I Dunno
12. USF: POOOOOP SHOW for years to come

My confidence in these picks is about 10%. 3 thru 7 is anyones game. 8 and 9 are interchangable and 10-12 are the battle for the bottom. I really only have absolute confidence in UC this year, as even WSU gives me some doubts.

This could be a crazy good year or it could be the same as last year.
I won't believe UCF over SMU until it happens.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 10:39 AM   #23
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
I won't believe UCF over SMU until it happens.
It’s a tough call.

But I think I’m looking for An elite characteristic when I feel teams so close. UCF is elite defensively. Smu loses its 3 better defenders.

It could be close but no one really predicted UCF would finish 4th
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 11:23 AM   #24
Queens_NYC
Epic Member

Queens_NYC is on a distinguished road
Here are my August AAC Power Rankings...

1. UC... A few question marks at the 1 spot but other than that this team can be scary good. Could easily be Cronin's best team yet.

2. WSU... The only team in the league that returns more than UC and I agree with justin that they can be interchangable with UC at the top spot. Hopefully Chamet's absence early on does not lead to any bad OOC performances.

3. UCF... Ended last season on a high note with a NIT Final 4 appearance and should have more scoring options this season with their transfers in the backcourt and on the wings. Should still be the best defensive team in the league.

4. Temple... I almost put this team at #3. They are going to be VERY good. They return young skill (Alston, Rose, and Alani Moore), size (Obi, Aflakpui, and Damian Moore) and will be getting two 15-16 contributors back (Trey Lowe and Josh Brown). Coupled with a strong recruiting class this team should be very well balanced. The only question is who is going to emerge as "the man" in the clutch.

5. SMU... They're going to be a lot weaker in the front court but arguably better at the 1-3 positions. I think they take some lumps OOC but should be a solid team with McMurray in the rotation.

6. UConn... Like SMU, they're going to go as far as their guards take them. Less experience puts them in this spot.

7. Houston... The story of losing a lot in the front court, returning a lot in the back court continues here. I don't think Gray gets enough help for them to contend for a Top 5 spot.

8. Tulsa... This team finishes no lower than 8th. They return A LOT and will get some more help on the wings with Curran Scott eligible along with one of the better JUCO transfers in DaQuan Jeffries.

9. East Carolina... This is where my picks might turn a few heads. ECU actually finished last season on a decent note beating Temple in the AAC tournament and only losing to SMU by 4 in the quarterfinals. They return some pretty good guards but will be very weak in the front court with a lot of attrition.

10. Tulane... They return two good players in Frazier and and Reynolds along with an under the radar guard in Ray Ona Embo who helped France take bronze at the Euro U20 championships. Like others, they'll be weak in the front court but I think they definitely improve on last year's struggles.

11. Memphis... This team returns TWO contributors from last year's squad and while there may be some pleasant surprises from their newcomers this season I think they struggle like we did during Cronin's first season.

12. USF... They have some grad transfers who should help them compete and a few other players who would probably make decent role players on other teams but collectively they will struggle. Still think they could upset a team or two at home.
Queens_NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 12:17 PM   #25
justinhub2003
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queens_NYC View Post

1. UC... A few question marks at the 1 spot but other than that this team can be scary good. Could easily be Cronin's best team yet.

2. WSU... The only team in the league that returns more than UC and I agree with justin that they can be interchangable with UC at the top spot. Hopefully Chamet's absence early on does not lead to any bad OOC performances.

3. UCF... Ended last season on a high note with a NIT Final 4 appearance and should have more scoring options this season with their transfers in the backcourt and on the wings. Should still be the best defensive team in the league.

4. Temple... I almost put this team at #3. They are going to be VERY good. They return young skill (Alston, Rose, and Alani Moore), size (Obi, Aflakpui, and Damian Moore) and will be getting two 15-16 contributors back (Trey Lowe and Josh Brown). Coupled with a strong recruiting class this team should be very well balanced. The only question is who is going to emerge as "the man" in the clutch.

5. SMU... They're going to be a lot weaker in the front court but arguably better at the 1-3 positions. I think they take some lumps OOC but should be a solid team with McMurray in the rotation.

6. UConn... Like SMU, they're going to go as far as their guards take them. Less experience puts them in this spot.

7. Houston... The story of losing a lot in the front court, returning a lot in the back court continues here. I don't think Gray gets enough help for them to contend for a Top 5 spot.

8. Tulsa... This team finishes no lower than 8th. They return A LOT and will get some more help on the wings with Curran Scott eligible along with one of the better JUCO transfers in DaQuan Jeffries.

9. East Carolina... This is where my picks might turn a few heads. ECU actually finished last season on a decent note beating Temple in the AAC tournament and only losing to SMU by 4 in the quarterfinals. They return some pretty good guards but will be very weak in the front court with a lot of attrition.

10. Tulane... They return two good players in Frazier and and Reynolds along with an under the radar guard in Ray Ona Embo who helped France take bronze at the Euro U20 championships. Like others, they'll be weak in the front court but I think they definitely improve on last year's struggles.

11. Memphis... This team returns TWO contributors from last year's squad and while there may be some pleasant surprises from their newcomers this season I think they struggle like we did during Cronin's first season.

12. USF... They have some grad transfers who should help them compete and a few other players who would probably make decent role players on other teams but collectively they will struggle. Still think they could upset a team or two at home.

Unless your putting ECU or Tulane at the top of the conference, its hard to argue with anyones order or logic around their predictions. This league is wide open after the 1 and 2 spots.

Its not happening fast But I do think ECU and Tulane are on the rise. They are at least adding 3 star talent to the fold.
Old 08-13-2017, 01:29 PM   #26
Bearcatboy
Epic Member

Bearcatboy is on a distinguished road
Quote:

What are your questions at the 1 spot? Seems pretty clear to me.....
Bearcatboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 05:24 PM   #27
justinhub2003
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcatboy View Post
What are your questions at the 1 spot? Seems pretty clear to me.....
I know it’s not directed at me but in opinion the biggest questions we have are:
-Team chemistry: it was amazing last year but 13 guys on the team adds a different dynamic
-home court advantage: will playing away from fifth third impact us a ton.
-Bench scoring: our starters can light it up but who will emerge as a reliable scorer off the bench. We have good defense and passing just need scoring from it.
Old 08-14-2017, 06:25 AM   #28
Cin City

Cin City is on a distinguished road
Temple is one of those teams this year that could shock a lot of people by winning this league. Im not saying its going to happen, but Im just saying...Plus they have tended to be our Achilles heal in the AAC....similar to St. Johns in the Big East. Yeah we got em twice last year but the year before they had our number. On paper we have the edge, but toss that out the window. We will need to be sharp against the Owls this year.
Cin City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 08:29 AM   #29
UCalum08
Epic Member

UCalum08 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to UCalum08
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cin City View Post
Temple is one of those teams this year that could shock a lot of people by winning this league. Im not saying its going to happen, but Im just saying...Plus they have tended to be our Achilles heal in the AAC....similar to St. Johns in the Big East. Yeah we got em twice last year but the year before they had our number. On paper we have the edge, but toss that out the window. We will need to be sharp against the Owls this year.
Its the Fran Dunphy effect.
UCalum08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 09:56 AM   #30
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:

I think the bottom line here is that the conference gets better by adding WSU as well as getting a little stronger when taking them out of the equation. Our schedule will be stronger OOC as well.

We may even lose a couple more games than last year but improve our overall ranking if we win the right games and don't have any bad losses.

It will be a bit tougher playing off campus for home games but hopefully this will also help us play a little better on the road by virtue of not having the benefit of playing in our most comfortable venue. I had not really thought of this particular issue when considering how many points we will average this year. We may not get to 80ppg because we aren't playing in our true home arena. However, we may just be a little better prepared come March.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote