Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Football > Bearcat Football
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-07-2017, 09:48 PM   #31
bearcat18
Elite Member

bearcat18 is on a distinguished road
FootballScoop Staff ‏@FootballScoop
Coaching convention getting going…hearing tonight West Virginia OL coach Ron Crook expected to join Cincinnati staff
bearcat18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 09:54 PM   #32
bearcat18
Elite Member

bearcat18 is on a distinguished road
Looks like he coached DII or was a GA until 2003. Harvard OL from 2003-2010, Stanford TE/tackles from 2011-2012, and WVU since then.

He has gotten at least 5 commits from the state of Ohio since his time at WVU so he has some ties here.
bearcat18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 10:05 PM   #33
Bearcat_NTS
Epic Member

Bearcat_NTS will become famous soon enough
So we've snagged assistants from Notre Dame, West Virginia, Boston College, and Virginia. All P5 schools. That sure beats the Grad assistants Tubby was hiring.
Bearcat_NTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 10:06 PM   #34
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcat_NTS View Post
So we've snagged assistants from Notre Dame, West Virginia, Boston College, and Virginia. All P5 schools. That sure beats the Grad assistants Tubby was hiring.
Purdue too
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 11:31 AM   #35
AZ BEARCAT
Elite Member

AZ BEARCAT is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcat18 View Post
Looks like he coached DII or was a GA until 2003. Harvard OL from 2003-2010, Stanford TE/tackles from 2011-2012, and WVU since then.

He has gotten at least 5 commits from the state of Ohio since his time at WVU so he has some ties here.
His commits should double.
AZ BEARCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 09:32 AM   #36
UCBearcats
Banned

UCBearcats is on a distinguished road
Luke's ability to assemble a staff has been impressive. It shows that he's highly regarded in coaching circles. Early on in the process I was high on Fickell, and I felt all along he could do a fantastic job of recruiting here at UC. I think his staff brings a lot of credibility to the table and we should be able to really step up our recruiting in the next few seasons.

I wasn't big on the decision to bring in Fickell when the time came because I liked other options better and it felt to me like Bohnhead was taking the easy way out. Considering his ability to assemble a very strong staff it still bothers me that it took this long for someone to make him a HC offer and ultimately the results will be what matters most. At least for now and the staff he's assembled I'm very excited about the future of our football program.
UCBearcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 09:41 AM   #37
2bearcatdad

2bearcatdad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCBearcats View Post
Luke's ability to assemble a staff has been impressive. It shows that he's highly regarded in coaching circles. Early on in the process I was high on Fickell, and I felt all along he could do a fantastic job of recruiting here at UC. I think his staff brings a lot of credibility to the table and we should be able to really step up our recruiting in the next few seasons.

I wasn't big on the decision to bring in Fickell when the time came because I liked other options better and it felt to me like Bohnhead was taking the easy way out. Considering his ability to assemble a very strong staff it still bothers me that it took this long for someone to make him a HC offer and ultimately the results will be what matters most. At least for now and the staff he's assembled I'm very excited about the future of our football program.
And maybe we should ease up on the Bohnhead rhetoric.

If Fickell turns out to be a good hire - and I certainly like what we've seen so far, then I think the entire process with Tubs / Fickell has been handled well.

I also think he's done well with the 5/3 transition (so far) and working with FC Cincy regarding the changes to Nippert.

I personally could do with less derision regarding our AD unless his performance warrants it. I haven't seen much to support the negativity.

FWIW.
2bearcatdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 10:01 AM   #38
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCBearcats View Post

Fickell may just be in the perfect spot at UC. He wanted to be a permanent HC but perhaps he is thought of more as a regional candidate due to his lifelong Ohio ties. And based on the landscape (yes I am using the landscape talking point) of college football, he couldn't walk right into a P5 job, but is also above the MAC schools. He had it pretty good at OSU, so maybe the lack of HC offers had partially to do with him not aggressively pursuing anything, like he did the UC job. I don't know if there's anything to any of that or not, just a thought.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 10:09 AM   #39
Helicopter

Helicopter is on a distinguished road
I recall there was an article about Fickell after he took the UC job specifically discussing his reluctance to market himself prior to 2016.

FWIW this dude is approaching the gig the right way in that he will recruit and win with superior athletes (compared to AAC tier) as opposed to primarily schema. He's also putting all his recruiting eggs in the Ohio/Midwest basket which I think will be a homerun. It's worked before; it will work again.
Helicopter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 07:17 PM   #40
Patrick Bateman
Epic Member

Patrick Bateman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helicopter View Post
I recall there was an article about Fickell after he took the UC job specifically discussing his reluctance to market himself prior to 2016.

FWIW this dude is approaching the gig the right way in that he will recruit and win with superior athletes (compared to AAC tier) as opposed to primarily schema. He's also putting all his recruiting eggs in the Ohio/Midwest basket which I think will be a homerun. It's worked before; it will work again.
Fickell putting together a better staff than PJF could have.

In interview with Hoard he said he told his wife years ago that Cincinnati would be a good landing spot for HC position