Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Basketball Recruiting > 2018 Recruiting Profiles

Old 05-09-2017, 01:38 PM   #181
GarradJ21
Epic Member

GarradJ21 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackBauer151 View Post
What does this have to do with landing "Ohio" kids? Maybe I'm misunderstanding the Fickell comparison. I want the three best kids we can get in 2018 and DGAF where they come from. Basketball is much more about the shoe company that sponsors your AAU team more than where you are from. Kids are transferring left and right from high schools and prep schools and aau teams. Simple fact is a kid who plays for an Under Armour AAU team from Arizona is much more likely than a Cincinnati kid who plays for Nike to come to UC. That dynamic is different from football. If you dont recruit nationally in basketball you probably are gonna fall on some hard times like Ohio State.
Here's the thing, I'm a huge Cronin supporter and couldn't agree more, I don't care where the kids come from just as long as we get some really good kids. But really we don't get highly ranked players so if some higher ranked kids are at Princeton or in our back yard I would hope that would be an advantage for us. I guess my point is that 2018 I am expecting some really highly rated guys in this class. Our only excuse is that we play in the AAC but really with a decent non conference schedule, Wichita addition and always getting to the tournament it isn't much of an excuse. So with there being 4 stars right in our own back yards and we aren't on their list it made me mad but yea I am assuming Cronin can't do much about that and it is what it is, but really, we need multiple 4 star recruits in 2018 IMO. I hope we get some studs and I believe that we will just was shocked with the lists of these Ohio kids.

Last edited by GarradJ21; 05-09-2017 at 01:42 PM.
GarradJ21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 02:29 PM   #182
JasonS
Football Moderator

JasonS has a spectacular aura aboutJasonS has a spectacular aura aboutJasonS has a spectacular aura about
There is a difference between talent in Cincinnati for football and basketball. Year after year there are top players nationally that come out of Cincinnati area HS in football. In basketball, it is not that consistent. Fickell can afford to focus a lot of time and energy locally and know that he can get good players he can win with. Mick has to be more selective with his time. In doing so, he will run the risk of losing good players locally ala Kennard to Duke. I personally don't think we want Mick having the same local strategy that Fickell has. I don't think it would be beneficial to the long term success of the program.
JasonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 03:38 PM   #183
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonS View Post
There is a difference between talent in Cincinnati for football and basketball. Year after year there are top players nationally that come out of Cincinnati area HS in football. In basketball, it is not that consistent. Fickell can afford to focus a lot of time and energy locally and know that he can get good players he can win with. Mick has to be more selective with his time. In doing so, he will run the risk of losing good players locally ala Kennard to Duke. I personally don't think we want Mick having the same local strategy that Fickell has. I don't think it would be beneficial to the long term success of the program.
Yeah I agree for the most part, especially when we aren't sitting on several open scholarships. If we do have openings, I wouldn't mind looking harder around Ohio. But that likely won't be the case for a few years since we don't have any JUCO players causing a higher turnover rate on the available scholarships.

All in all, I'm pretty pleased with the approach. More and more names will pop up this summer. And with 3 scholarships, we can be pretty selective. I'd expect a Clark/Evans/Cumberland/Williams in this class. And probably a couple more guys in the Diarra range, or a spring transfer. Nothing to worry about at this point. These things can happen quickly.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 05:10 PM   #184
CliftonCat

CliftonCat is on a distinguished road
I hate basing things off of 247 cause at this stage in 2018 recruiting it's really a crapshoot but for what it's worth, they have Bazley as our top target. I'm sure things will pick up in the summer and we will have somebody commit early. Just really wish we were going after Adams more but I trust the coaches. They know a whole hell of a lot more than me.
CliftonCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 06:12 PM   #185
UCalum08
Epic Member

UCalum08 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to UCalum08
Quote:
Originally Posted by CliftonCat View Post
I hate basing things off of 247 cause at this stage in 2018 recruiting it's really a crapshoot but for what it's worth, they have Bazley as our top target. I'm sure things will pick up in the summer and we will have somebody commit early. Just really wish we were going after Adams more but I trust the coaches. They know a whole hell of a lot more than me.
The coaches haven't done anything on Adams for a while now. Cronin hasn't seen him in person which tells me they are looking else where for a PG. Just a guess but it seems like I have seen the coaches look at other players.
UCalum08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 06:15 PM   #186
Chad Brendel
Elite Member

Chad Brendel is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCalum08 View Post
The coaches haven't done anything on Adams for a while now. Cronin hasn't seen him in person which tells me they are looking else where for a PG. Just a guess but it seems like I have seen the coaches look at other players.
Cronin evaluated Adams two weekends ago in Indy. Solid player, but not a point guard. Doesn't fit what they are looking for...
Chad Brendel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 10:20 PM   #187
AZ BEARCAT
Elite Member

AZ BEARCAT is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Brendel View Post
Cronin evaluated Adams two weekends ago in Indy. Solid player, but not a point guard. Doesn't fit what they are looking for...
thank you !!
AZ BEARCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 10:40 PM   #188
Miller193

Miller193 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
is Cronin still recruiting five* pg Ago Dosumu out Illinois, he visit a couple months ago I believe, or has u.c moved on. Sure hope not, could be a difference maker for the program
Miller193 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 03:05 AM   #189
UCalum08
Epic Member

UCalum08 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to UCalum08
Quote:
Nice, good to know! Thanks!
UCalum08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 06:56 AM   #190
#BearcatNation
Epic Member

#BearcatNation is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Not to be that guy, but a Top 100 player "isn't what they're looking for"? Are we in a place where we can be that snotty about recruiting? We're going to have 3 (maybe 4) schollys available next year, so I don't get why we'd have to turn down a kid of this caliber just because we also want a point guard. Get a point and shooting guard.
#BearcatNation is offline   Reply With Quote