Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 04-17-2018, 06:44 PM   #41
ZCat
Elite Member

ZCat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Brendel View Post
If you want to donate an extra 300K per year that is earmarked specifically for assistant salaries, I’m sure the athletic department will take your call. Until then, this is a good intro into the growing and already vast gap between the P5 and everyone else...
I respect you Chad. But that’s not my point. My point is, if assistant coaches can help get better talent, it would be more beneficial to pay them and save a few million dollars on the arena. Now I would agree, the players needed a nice new locker room. They probably notice that.That’s done. As far as the arena, most of them look good to the players. I doubt that affects recruiting that much.

I love that the arena opens up some other revenue stream. But we need talent. If there are some top recruiters, the word should be out that we will take you. Even if it’s just for a few years and you move on. Then will get another top recruiter or two. please nobody answer about recruiting violations and all that. I’m not talking about doing it illegally. And I’m not talking about having the players dad for a temporary fix. If Stubblefield was that good let’s get him back! What am I missing?

You have to make the call. Assistant coaches need to know that they need to deliver if not we’re looking for somebody else. We’re struggling to get talent. And I’m sorry the P5 excuse is valid but it doesn’t excuse it all together.

Last edited by ZCat; 04-17-2018 at 06:49 PM.
ZCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 07:35 PM   #42
Chad Brendel
Elite Member

Chad Brendel is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZCat View Post
I respect you Chad. But that’s not my point. My point is, if assistant coaches can help get better talent, it would be more beneficial to pay them and save a few million dollars on the arena. Now I would agree, the players needed a nice new locker room. They probably notice that.That’s done. As far as the arena, most of them look good to the players. I doubt that affects recruiting that much.

I love that the arena opens up some other revenue stream. But we need talent. If there are some top recruiters, the word should be out that we will take you. Even if it’s just for a few years and you move on. Then will get another top recruiter or two. please nobody answer about recruiting violations and all that. I’m not talking about doing it illegally. And I’m not talking about having the players dad for a temporary fix. If Stubblefield was that good let’s get him back! What am I missing?

You have to make the call. Assistant coaches need to know that they need to deliver if not we’re looking for somebody else. We’re struggling to get talent. And I’m sorry the P5 excuse is valid but it doesn’t excuse it all together.
It isn't a matter of reallocating that money in the budget. That arena money was donated or bonded for the remodel. One has zero to do with the other and is a completely false narrative that holds zero water. You want to get Stubblefield back, there needs to be another 300K per year in the basketball budget strictly earmarked for assistant salary. Until then, you are just bitching to bitch...
Chad Brendel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 07:47 PM   #43
Bcatfollower
Epic Member

Bcatfollower is on a distinguished road
Quote:
It isn't a matter of reallocating that money in the budget. That arena money was donated or bonded for the remodel. One has zero to do with the other and is a completely false narrative that holds zero water. You want to get Stubblefield back, there needs to be another 300K per year in the basketball budget strictly earmarked for assistant salary. Until then, you are just bitching to bitch...
So you're saying Mick has no issues negotiating more money for himself to be a top 40 paid coach but can't leverage any additional money for assistant coaches even if he needs to make 300k per year less? I think thats the point being made...
Bcatfollower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 07:56 PM   #44
ZCat
Elite Member

ZCat is on a distinguished road
And I don’t mean that we should not have renovated the arena. I mean, maybe we could have spent a couple of million dollars less on the arena and pump all of that into assistant coaches.
ZCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 08:01 PM   #45
cincycpaw
Epic Member

cincycpaw will become famous soon enough
Quote:
So what’s the pool of $ for assistant coaches for basketball?
cincycpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 08:52 PM   #46
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
For the next round of contracts, I wonder if something like this would help our recruiting?

$2M for Head Coach

$400K Associate Head Cosch

$300K other 2 Assistant Coaches
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 08:53 PM   #47
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
For the next round of contracts, I wonder if something like this would help our recruiting?

$2M for Head Coach

$400K Associate Head Cosch

$300K other 2 Assistant Coaches
This is what we pay total right now.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 09:30 PM   #48
Bearcatboy
Epic Member

Bearcatboy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZCat View Post
And I don’t mean that we should not have renovated the arena. I mean, maybe we could have spent a couple of million dollars less on the arena and pump all of that into assistant coaches.
And hes saying the donors donated the money for the new arena, if it was for the coaches they wouldn’t have donated the money

Last edited by Bearcatboy; 04-17-2018 at 09:33 PM.
Bearcatboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 11:32 PM   #49
Chad Brendel
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcatfollower View Post
So you're saying Mick has no issues negotiating more money for himself to be a top 40 paid coach but can't leverage any additional money for assistant coaches even if he needs to make 300k per year less? I think thats the point being made...
Mick hasn't gotten a raise in 2-3 years. Remember when the narrative was "he's paid like a top 20 coach"? Now he's top 40 and falling? I also know there has been several times he has taken his end of season bonus money and given it to his assistants. Do you really think he would do that if he felt those guys weren't good at what they do?

I'm saying Mick is paid below market value at this point, and the assistant pool is below the high major average as well.

It's easy to be Joe Schmuck with your hand in someone elses pocket demanding they devalue their worth and ability to manage who works for them when you are producing a top 20 level program with top 50 level pay.

You want an elite recruiter on staff? Better be ready to commit half a million a year, and hold your nose when the FBI and NCAA come calling. That's the cost of doing business these days. Take it or leave it...
Old 04-17-2018, 11:34 PM   #50
Chad Brendel
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcatboy View Post
And hes saying the donors donated the money for the new arena, if it was for the coaches they wouldn’t have donated the money
Maybe the first thing we have agreed on in years...